cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 42 footer… What do you think?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, Found the perfect 5th wheel and it’s 42 feet. Started out looking for a 38 but it’s the 42 footer that best handles our needs. Not concerned about state parks etc. We will use an occasional parking lot on travel days but mostly RV park pull thru. When all is said and done does the extra 4 feet make that big of difference towing and in general?

We go between Georgia and Montana most summers but pretty much stay in one place. So not a lot of traveling around with the Coach once we arrive at our destination.

Thanks guys
28 REPLIES 28

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a 28ft, then a 35ft, and now a 40ft.I couldn't get in many spots in Smokey Mt Nat Park with the 28ft., so no great loss with the 40ft. Right now I'm sitting in a state recreation area in Illinois with plenty of room. I have maybe 10ft of RV hanging over the end of the site driveway. We have stayed at many state parks and COE campgrounds. You do have to "shop" wisely though.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bad Brad, That’s exactly right… Whenever we were going to our 40’ motorhome we always had to decide what we can’t take. With a 42’ fiver with 4 to 5 slides very little consideration has to be given to that. It’s more like a 2nd home as you said.

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Length isn’t really the greatest factor because it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s heavier? The 42’ River Ranch isn’t as heavy as some 38 footers because of its use of composites and some other weight saving materials.

And I don’t know about downsizing? If you downsize and end up with something that really doesn’t work. Then what good is the downsize off all it does is get you into a couple other state parks?

Totally agree! We went from a 26'TT to a 28'TT Toyhauler, to a 35'TT Toyhauler, and now have a 42' 5er. We moved from trailer to trailer to accommodate our needs. I can imagine going smaller now. BTW, this is our retirement home away from home. Love the space.
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Length isn’t really the greatest factor because it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s heavier? The 42’ River Ranch isn’t as heavy as some 38 footers because of its use of composites and some other weight saving materials.

And I don’t know about downsizing? If you downsize and end up with something that really doesn’t work. Then what good is the downsize off all it does is get you into a couple other state parks?

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
ford truck guy wrote:

This will NOT come into play with a 42' fiver..... There is NO WAY someone towing a 42' fiver will be over the 65' number..

this is very true. I have a 40' 5th and a 21 foot pick up (crewcab long box) and I come in at 56 to 57 feet long.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
Cruise the forums & see how many wish they had or have downsized rather than upsized to 40' plus monsters.

If you look carefully at floorplans all you are really getting is more floor space. The monsters will have the same fridges, the same stoves, the same furniture as a mid 30s 5er. They may have a bit more storage but other than that it is all floor space.

I'm of the mindset find the floor plan that you like and be sure to buy a truck capable of towing it within its ratings.
Length is way down on my list of determining factors.
My next rig maybe larger or smaller in terms of length.
I have no restrictions or limits either way.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a 35 ft toyhouler, went to 40 ft Raptor and now we have a 45 ft Seismic. I really did not noticed any differences. I do know the truck makes a world of difference.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cruise the forums & see how many wish they had or have downsized rather than upsized to 40' plus monsters.

If you look carefully at floorplans all you are really getting is more floor space. The monsters will have the same fridges, the same stoves, the same furniture as a mid 30s 5er. They may have a bit more storage but other than that it is all floor space.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Finding a pull thru is'nt always possible as you well know, or will find out. A friend of mine has one of those Behemouths. He wises it were smaller. Heck, it's our camper and your money. Do what you want. I would just as soon go shorter and I have only 28 ft. Can I assume it's a tri axle? If so it wont's turn as good in parking.More tires to buy, harder on springs and frame as it turns in cramped corners.

Dtank wrote:
Mondooker wrote:
Hi samsontdog, I hear what you’re saying but for us 34’ does not give us the space we need. I can get our 40’ motorhome most anyplace I want to go and the same should be true for a 42’ fifth wheel. My consern is more about Drive ability?

The same is *NOT* true for a 42' 5th wheel as with your 40'MH.

For a 5th wheel you must include the Tow Vehicle in the overall length. The campground (or?) site is *not* the problem...combined length limitations in the various states is!!
(often 65' max - under that & you're good to go!).

Check the length req's for states where you will travel...:W

~

This will NOT come into play with a 42' fiver..... There is NO WAY someone towing a 42' fiver will be over the 65' number..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several feet of a 42 5er will be over the bed and will be deducted from overall length when towing. 65 is easily attained.
I'm sure it's happened but I have no first hand knowledge of any LEO stopping a RVer and pulling out the tape.
Puma 30RKSS

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
Hi samsontdog, I hear what you’re saying but for us 34’ does not give us the space we need. I can get our 40’ motorhome most anyplace I want to go and the same should be true for a 42’ fifth wheel. My consern is more about Drive ability?

The same is *NOT* true for a 42' 5th wheel as with your 40'MH.

For a 5th wheel you must include the Tow Vehicle in the overall length. The campground (or?) site is *not* the problem...combined length limitations in the various states is!!
(often 65' max - under that & you're good to go!).

Check the length req's for states where you will travel...:W

~

My fiver is 42’ and no regrets so far. We are mostly private campgrounds, with visits to a great State Park 3-4 times a year with zero issues…
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron3rd, You see 45 footers with 18’ trailers all the time and they seem to always find a place to park. That’s about 63 feet and they seem to get along just fine. Great to RV as you like isn’t it!