cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do some fifth wheels have angled front ends?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I read somewhere a while ago the 45 deg angle on the frame had some advantage over the right angle?

4 REPLIES 4

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:

So the only *advantage* is storage, nothing structural?

As long as the unit does not have a Lippert frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Oh okay. That makes sense. Will observe the difference next time I am strolling around a campground.

So the only *advantage* is storage, nothing structural?

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, from the photos, dropped frame vs straight frame. Dropped frames tend to be on the larger units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
I thought I read somewhere a while ago the 45 deg angle on the frame had some advantage over the right angle?

The angled ones have a front drop frame providing more storage. This tends to be on more expensive units. The bottom of the Trailer will be closer to the road due to the drop frame front end but this does not cause any issues.

The ones without have a straight frame front to back just like a travel trailer and this results in less front storage.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller