cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coleman Mach III 13.5 btu replacement

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
after 11 years, my ac unit gave up the ghost.

I have run my ac on my honda 2000 - but when it's really hot (above 90) it's exceeding my Honda's running capacity.

The Honda's rated output is 13.5 amps at sea level (with a 16.6 amp 20 minute 'burst').

I know, I could buy a higher rated generator, but I don't need the AC that often and if I could get away with a higher priced AC unit that would draw less amperage, maybe it might be enough.

how much less amperage will a power saver reduce the amperage consumption on a replacement Coleman Mach III PS?

thanks in advance,

Josh
11 REPLIES 11

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodeb720 wrote:
outstanding!

Thanks all for the insight.
I'll start with trolling through the specs from the document library.
From there i'll start making decisions.

We're not going out in the 5er at least until October - so I have time to figure this all out. We're finishing the RV Makeover - and i'm planning the next phase of the update.

Take Care all and thanks for the suggestions!

josh
ktmrfs wrote:
coleman has a 13.5K version that draws less current and has better (lower) starting current and LRA spec's. That's what I would go for.
Check out the 48208C966, one of Coleman Mach's most efficient 13.5k BTU ac units. More than likely you'll have to special order the 48208C966. They're rarely stocked by RV distributors. Dometic can't come close to this unit in terms of efficiency (BTU vs. LRA/continuous current). It has a 50.5a LRA rating and a continuous current draw of ~11a under "desert" conditions---both excellent specs. Most 13.5's (especially Dometic) have a much higher LRA (60-68a) and a higher continuous current draw of 13-15a.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The high temp cut-off may simply be signaling that the condenser needs cleaning…

3 tons

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
quick update.

I brought the rig home - and after reading a parallel thread, where someone posted there's a high temperature cut off on the top of the compressor - I tried the unit here at home.

I works. In a way, i'm kinda bummed, especially after looking at the spec's from replacement units.

Interesting thing about running it here, when I put my volt meter in my outlet - I'm getting 120 even with the AC running.

I want to thank everybody for the suggestions though.

J

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
coleman has a 13.5K version that draws less current and has better (lower) starting current and LRA spec's. That's what I would go for.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
If I had the space I would put in a mini split AC. The best of all worlds.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Best to buy another 2k gen then parallel yours with it. Those two will provide the watts needed to run your AC. That's what I have and what's nice is that I only run both when the AC is on otherwise only one is needed. Suggest you look at WEN brand 2k gen, has great reviews and cost a little over $400 then parallel that with your Honda.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
outstanding!

Thanks all for the insight.
I'll start with trolling through the specs from the document library.
From there i'll start making decisions.

We're not going out in the 5er at least until October - so I have time to figure this all out. We're finishing the RV Makeover - and i'm planning the next phase of the update.

Take Care all and thanks for the suggestions!

josh

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Try easy start capacitor and/or Westinghouse 2500 or 2600 inverter generator. Both will give you 2200 watts running and 2500 or 2600 surge. The 2500 is $399 at Sam's thru the next two days online.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
jodeb720 wrote:

how much less amperage will a power saver reduce the amperage consumption on a replacement Coleman Mach III PS?

have you compared the specs via the document library?
https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/service-support/document-library

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a coleman 15,000 BTU and by the way due to global warming I would recommend the upgrade to keep cool.. you will need the extra cool if you don't already.

HOWEVER It was not a "Soft start" I'd add a soft start to it. I do not know if your single honda will kick start it. I think most 2,000 inverter generators will not. a pair of 'em might but I'd be surprised if one did.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at new models they're 2200 2300 watts
Ryobi has 2300 with electric battery start for about $770.