Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Bar connection to F150 Tow Hooks

Berkyeng
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

On a recent camping trip I saw someone flat towing a Ram 1500 with a tow bar assembly that simply connected to the tow hooks on the truck.

I’ve looked briefly for a setup that would similarly fit my 2019 F150 but haven’t found one that doesn’t require substantial modifications to the vehicle (typical base plate setup).

Can anyone direct me to an appropriate setup? I already have a Blue Ox setup for my wife’s Ford Explorer but would like to take my F150 flat towed behind my MH.

Thanks in advance.
BerkyEng
Sparwood BC
2021 Jayco Eagle 284BHOK
8 REPLIES 8

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Horsedoc wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ I think the first idea is not a sound decision, the second idea is horrible.
Please just buy the right gear, or if you’re that handy to roll your own, fab up some actual base plates.

You are certainly right on the second idea! Ivy knows better than what he says.

If you've ever towed a pintle trailer you would know the first idea isn't sound. Sure it's not a dangerous solution like the slip hook idea, but the incessant CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK from the slop in a pintle hitch will drive you nuts.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Please just buy the right gear, or if you’re that handy to roll your own, fab up some actual base plates.

You are certainly right on the second idea! Ivy knows better than what he says.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Berkyeng wrote:
JoeH wrote:
The Blue Ox base plate for my F150 ( 2015) replaced the tow hooks. Just remove the tow hooks and bolt on the nubs for the tow bar attachment. No modification of anything on the F150 .

Looking at the installation videos online I would have to remove a significant amount of the front bumper and grille assembly. Hence I’m interested in the setup that simply attaches to the factory mounted tow hooks.

I've spent more time ( almost) just typing this response than it takes to remove the trim and bumper and replace, trim pops out , held in with plastic tabs, the bumper is held in with 6 bolts. remove the tow hooks, the base plate bolts into the space vacated by the hooks and the base plate has a couple supplemental bolts that you need to enlarge existing holes in the frame. It also has a safety cable. to wrap around the frame. Total time to install is maybe an hour ... and that includes a beer or two !
I installed mine in 2015 right after I bought the truck. I've towed 40,000+ miles.

When you're done with that, then install your supplemental brake system. I went with an M&G. Probably took another hour or so to install. I installed diodes on my tail lights and ran wires along the frame to a round 4 connector I put by the base plate mounts.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the tow hooks on my 2016 F150 and had to remove a snap in panel in the front bumper. I damaged some snaps getting the panel out and found out that Ford does not sell just the snaps. You have to buy the $160 panel to get the snaps. The base plate does use extra bolts and is more secure but be if you go that route be very careful removing that panel out.

That was 5 years ago and I still haven't towed the F150. My wife says that it is too big plus the wiring for the LED lights was so delicate that I didn't want to fool with it. And I couldn't find a braking device for it that I liked.

Berkyeng
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
The Blue Ox base plate for my F150 ( 2015) replaced the tow hooks. Just remove the tow hooks and bolt on the nubs for the tow bar attachment. No modification of anything on the F150 .

Looking at the installation videos online I would have to remove a significant amount of the front bumper and grille assembly. Hence I’m interested in the setup that simply attaches to the factory mounted tow hooks.
BerkyEng
Sparwood BC
2021 Jayco Eagle 284BHOK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve thought about building one using 2 Pintle hooks to attach to the tow rings.

Also thought about using these hooks.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard