Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Stabilizer blocks alternatives
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stabilizer blocks alternatives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a piece of HDPE on each corner about 12 x 12 inches square and 3/4 inch thick. Can’t get much more minimal than that (pretty easy storage).

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

Would something like this be too pricey?

Anderson blocks

We just use 2 x 10 pressure treated wood cut to 12" lengths... but we have a different situation, too.

Rob

Yes, too pricey and too heavy. I have watched some review a while ago, and I remember each peace is like 8 pounds or so.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexey75 wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Anderson blocks

We just use 2 x 10 pressure treated wood cut to 12" lengths... but we have a different situation, too.

Rob

Yes, too pricey and too heavy. I have watched some review a while ago, and I remember each peace is like 8 pounds or so.

I use whatever scrap lumber I have laying around.

I just weighed one piece I have which is a 2x8 at 12", weight is 5 lbs.

5 lbs is not all that much weight to move, handle or store.

I typically use 2x6 pieces that are about 10" in length under my stabilizers and that works fine even on a sandy area.

Blocks of leftover wood are cheap, effective and will last longer than any plastic blocks with a given amount of weight on them.

If weight is a huge issue, you do realize that can also be fixed?

[image]

Yep, a spade drill bit can be used to drill through or drill partial holes in a diamond pattern and not affect the strength of the board very much but yet remove some weight..

Something else to consider, pressure treated lumber when first bought is heavily laden with moisture as part of the treating process so those boards start out very heavy. As the board dries (after you buy it) it just needs some time sitting in the sun for a few weeks to loose the extra moisture back to the same weight as non treated lumber. Pressure treating plants don't bother removing the excess moisture before shipping to the lumber yards.

Wood (even treated) is a natural product, plastic, not so much.

alexey75

Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

alexey75 wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Anderson blocks

Rob

I use whatever scrap lumber I have laying around.

I just weighed one piece I have which is a 2x8 at 12", weight is 5 lbs.

5 lbs is not all that much weight to move, handle or store.

I typically use 2x6 pieces that are about 10" in length under my stabilizers and that works fine even on a sandy area.

Blocks of leftover wood are cheap, effective and will last longer than any plastic blocks with a given amount of weight on them.

If weight is a huge issue, you do realize that can also be fixed?

[image]

Yep, a spade drill bit can be used to drill through or drill partial holes in a diamond pattern and not affect the strength of the board very much but yet remove some weight..

Something else to consider, pressure treated lumber when first bought is heavily laden with moisture as part of the treating process so those boards start out very heavy. As the board dries (after you buy it) it just needs some time sitting in the sun for a few weeks to loose the extra moisture back to the same weight as non treated lumber. Pressure treating plants don't bother removing the excess moisture before shipping to the lumber yards.

Wood (even treated) is a natural product, plastic, not so much.

Yes, I thought about drilling some holes, not sure how much of the difference it will be.
I can take one peace, weight it before and after and decide if it worth it [emoticon]

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 7 years or camping I have never has a situation where the stabilizer would not extend far enough. In soft round a 12" x 12" x 1/4" plywood square would not do the job.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

In 7 years or camping I have never has a situation where the stabilizer would not extend far enough. In soft round a 12" x 12" x 1/4" plywood square would not do the job.

I would concur with your experiences.

But, for some reason folks are scared of the weight of a piece of wood or have been extremely over hyped and over marketed to believe their is always some new fangled super improved lighter weight more expensive product that they must have or buy.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s a pic of my 5-7-9 blocks (depending on which way you turn them). They are hollow and have minimal internal framing so they are light.

[image]

RVing since 1995.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

A few weeks ago I was at a campground I like but, I got stuck into the last spot available. I had to use everyone one of my Lynx Levelers under the wheels on one side of the TT to get it level. There was no way the stabilizer was going to touch the ground on that side. Because I was out of blocks I used the spare tire under the back stabilizer to take up the space. I just didn't put the front one down. It worked OK for the week that I was there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Stabilizer blocks alternatives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.