cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Geocel Pro Flex Failed.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
So first time using this stuff, removed all the moldings from a large window 4x4, and resealed it using 2 tubes of this stuff, put it on quite thick to fill the channels. 9 days later i went camping, when i pulled into the campsite, the rear window was hanging against the ladder, ripped clean out of the frame.

all the geocel, was soft, like wet bubble gum, i could rip it clean off with my hands.

does this stuff not harden up at all? i am going to have to go back to the molding insert i guess, at a ridiculous markup, but it beats hot gluing it back in to get it home.

so the question.. how hard does geocel get, as i bought 3 more tubes to do another window, but now i'm scared to use it.
8 REPLIES 8

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i removed this.. and tried to use geocel to replace it. I feel if it dried for maybe a month it would have held

Clicky

has this not shrunk for anyone? both non sliding windows this has failed, dried up and shrunk greatly, I find it hard to believe no one has replaced this before.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wgriswold wrote:
I am not sure exactly what you are doing but if the window was removed and reinstalled the proper material to use in the channels is butyl tape. Do not use plumber's tape by mistake.

I think what he is talking about is the black rubber seal that goes around the GLASS between the glass and the outside inner frame. NEVER in 42 years have I pulled glass like that. I have seen Windshield/glass companies do that when cutting new glass or a plexiglas temp insert. If I was going to do what he is doing I would use this. It comes out white but dries crystal clear. This is NOT silicone but ADHESIVE CAULK and adheres to almost anything. Doug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Kwik-Seal-10-1-oz-Clear-Kitchen-and-Bath-Adhesive-Caulk-12-per-Case-...

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
I am not sure exactly what you are doing but if the window was removed and reinstalled the proper material to use in the channels is butyl tape. Do not use plumber's tape by mistake.

X 2, 100%

3 tons

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Wrong application for that caulk. It doesn't cure for a long time in an enclosed space, that is why it isn't hardened while still in the tube.

no caulk is hard while inside the tube, otherwise you wouldn't get it out. then what exactly are people using this for? i read windows everywhere.

SEALING the window frame to the sidewall. I assume from your post you pulled the actual glass insert and then attempted to install with the Geocel. Doug

i removed the outside weather strip that had failed.and filled the gap.

i have found some molding that will work, but it's over 5 dollars a foot, its going to cost me close to 300 to replace 2 window seals. Doug do you have a link to the sealed window(non sliding ) that will work that may be cheaper, or is it really 5 bucks a foot?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
LittleBill wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Wrong application for that caulk. It doesn't cure for a long time in an enclosed space, that is why it isn't hardened while still in the tube.

no caulk is hard while inside the tube, otherwise you wouldn't get it out. then what exactly are people using this for? i read windows everywhere.

SEALING the window frame to the sidewall. I assume from your post you pulled the actual glass insert and then attempted to install with the Geocel. Doug

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer