cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used an extended run gas tank for two Honda 2000's. Going to be dry camping on military campground in key west this coming winter for 6 weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful. Ease of use etc.
18 REPLIES 18

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Propane for power generation and long term boondocking don't mix well at all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Perhaps the option of using propane would be useful.

Hutch Mtn propane conversion

Propane for RV generators only has one thing going for it.
It IS an important one for many/most RVers:
There are no caburator gumming problems. For an infrequent/ light user, this is important as guuming is a problem if a generator isn't used enough.

Other than that, gas is eaiser to get, and a gas generator eill put out more power with better economy. All the while leaving your limited propane supply for things that require it. Furnace, HW heater, stove, oven, etc.

The kit allows the generator to run on gas OR propane at the flip of a switch so this is an option to use what's on hand. It can be a major plus not to have to transport gas depending on the setup. In my case I don't want a gas can in my TC, nor do I want to add an additional type of fuel to carry.

The OP is bringing extra fuel of some type so why not bring an abundance of the most useful fuel, propane? This is also a 6 week stay at one place so figuring out how to buy propane shouldn't be an issue and will prob be necessary in any case. The MWR folks at the OP's campground likely have all the answers re propane supply.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Propane for RV generators only has one thing going for it.
It IS an important one for many/most RVers:
There are no caburator gumming problems. For an infrequent/ light user, this is important as guuming is a problem if a generator isn't used enough.

Other than that, gas is eaiser to get, and a gas generator eill put out more power with better economy. All the while leaving your limited propane supply for things that require it. Furnace, HW heater, stove, oven, etc.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have run the Hondas with an extended run tank since 2006. Usually only need one, but with two, ststarting any RV AC is no problem. In fact, if you turn the Tstat way down so the AC never shuts off, you may be able to run your AC with one Honda, after starting it with two.

On a cold weather hunt, when the temps never gott above freezing I ran A single Honda for 2 weeks straight, swapping them out for oil changes, which can be done in about 5 minutes and no mess with the proper tools and knowledge.

The Momentum I have now has a 5500 Onan, but I still use the little Hondas, as they can do the job 90% of the time, saving a lot of fuel.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
lucy6194 wrote:
Has anyone used an extended run gas tank for two Honda 2000's. Going to be dry camping on military campground in key west this coming winter for 6 weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful. Ease of use etc.
We've camped at the NASKW campgrounds (Sigsbee and Trumbo) in Key West a number of times. During the winter (late Dec thru mid Feb), temps in Key West are typically in the mid/low 70's during the day (mid 60's at night). IMO, no need to run the a/c much (if at all) during the winter. FWIW, we have an extended run tank for our Honda 2200. Rarely use it. They work well as long as you have everything vented/sealed properly.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I would like to see a photo of the extended tank setup as I am interested.

Here's one.

Thanks deltabravo

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel tanks for the extended run kit are simply tanks for an outboard motor. I bought an extra one at a yard sale so that the tanks can simply be swapped out using the quick disconnect on the fuel line. The empty tank can be filled any time during the day because you have seven gallons that the generators are feeding on. An additional 2 to 5 gallon can will top you off completely at the next refill.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
Two Honda's will run one AC, or two modified AC's.

back in 2016 or so, I ran a 11k and 13.5k BTU A/C about 9 hours per day for three days on my 2 EU2000i gens. Both were A/Cs were unmodified.
It was so hot though, the compressors NEVER shut off.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Although it wont run the roof air, I'd suggest adding a modest solar panel system.

One Honda will run a modified AC unit.

Two Honda's will run one AC, or two modified AC's.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Here's one.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My 5 gal extended run tank works great but I only have 1 Honda 2000. I have used the tank 3 times when my house lost power.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
NamMedvac70,

Honda's have a fuel pump--most others are a gravity feed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II