cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel Hitch recommendations

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have just purchased a Grand Design 260RD 5th wheel. The GVWR is 10,000 lbs. We are looking for recommendations for a hitch Our truck is a RAM 2500 Hemi, Our Dodge dealer is installing a puck system in the truck bed tomorrow. Any recommendations as to hitch brand and size are appreciated. We will be picking up the trailer this weekend
Ted and Kath
2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD 150 Series
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies
25 REPLIES 25

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Pullrite Slider. Works perfectly pulling a 37' with an F250 Short Bed. Can take the rails out as well so you have a flat bed if need be when not in use. 3 Years no issues.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GMH wrote:
The main reason I chose B&W over Curt is that the B&W is made in the USA. Curt 5th wheel hitches are made in China.

RIGHT ON BROTHER!!!!!!!

To be clear their tow behind receiver hitches are US Made.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
The main reason I chose B&W over Curt is that the B&W is made in the USA. Curt 5th wheel hitches are made in China.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Andersen hitch all the way , with your setup itโ€™s a no brainer .Quietest , lightest hitch on the market . Ideal for short beds , no need for those heavy manual or automatic sliding hitches .

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong, but I think the Turning point swivel pin box that the OPโ€™s trailer has requires a conventional hitch?

Thatโ€™s possible , I missed his post on the pin box. Plus him having a 5.5 bed instead of the 6.4. Sounds like just a fixed hitch with that weight , and pin box ?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
All these compromises because of a short bed instead of a no compromise LongBed.

Friends stayed at our place that have a SB MegaCab and PullRite Auto slide. I looked the hitch over and it looks to be of very high US Made quality. Only real negative I see is he couldn't back into hitch at an angle that would have allowed him to pull straight out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
The Turning point swivel pin box doesn't need a sliding hitch. The pivot point is at the trailer end, they use a key behind the kingpin much like a Superglide. B&W also recommends the puck mount system, not the single point Companion. The swivel can be locked out if not needed
The OP just needs a hitch to fit his truck. I'd recommend the B&W RVK3600. I got my B&W from Etrailer. They aren't the cheapest hitch, but I don't think you'll find one better made
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: Lippert clearly states that the hitch manufacturer should be consulted to establish compatibility with their โ€œTurning Point swivel pin boxโ€.
Quote: โ€œFailure to consult with hitch manufacturer to verify compatibility may result in death, serious personal injury or severe product and/or property damage.โ€

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/towing/ccd-0001724.pdf

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite Superglide here. Used it for the last 5 years with no problems on my shot bed Ford
cpaulsen

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly recommend you consider an autoslider. Iโ€™ve used the Pullrite for 7+ years and am very happy with it. It is heavy, and isnโ€™t cheap, but it WORKS. I canโ€™t tell you the number of times Iโ€™ve turned tight (going forward or backwards) and watched it just move the trailer out of the way as it glided past the rear corner of my cab. Nor can I tell you the number of shortbed users Iโ€™ve seen than have banged up the corner of their cab or punched out the rear window - 2 just in the last week
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Andersen hitch all the way , with your setup itโ€™s a no brainer .Quietest , lightest hitch on the market . Ideal for short beds , no need for those heavy manual or automatic sliding hitches .

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong, but I think the Turning point swivel pin box that the OPโ€™s trailer has requires a conventional hitch?

You could be correct. The Andersen does not work with some pinboxes

The Andersen site would have that information
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

X2 So thankful I did not go with the slider.

To the OP do your research and decide for yourself.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Correct me if Iโ€™m wrong, but I think the Turning point swivel pin box that the OPโ€™s trailer is equipped with requires a conventional hitch?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Andersen hitch all the way , with your setup itโ€™s a no brainer .Quietest , lightest hitch on the market . Ideal for short beds , no need for those manual or automatic sliding hitches

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Hensley TrailerSaver BD3 and have since we got our FW back in 2010. We travel backroads and forest service roads to boondock, so this hitch has done us well.

**Note: we used to have this hitch in a short bed with a slider adaptor. Never needed the adaptor.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton