Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

First post. I’m buying a new 25ft TT. I already have a truck camper. I’m used to the Northwood Manufacturing build quality but have no other experience with other RV brands. I hope I can draw on the collective wisdom to help me pick a suitable travel trailer.

I’m looking at the following model:

Shadow Cruiser 225RBS

https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/shadow-cruiser/sc-225rbs/

The layout is right, the size is right and the styling is right. It’s not terribly expensive. That actually has me worried. Is this a quality TT I can take dry camping at a ski area in the winter and at an awful, hot and sticky summer on day, the Florida/Georgia line?

Does anything seem to be lacking on this TT for extreme environmental conditions dry camping?

B-n-B

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like mine, Shadow Cruiser is a Heartland product. I noticed many similarities in the VR tour of this model to my TT. I'd say overall it's about average for quality.

2006 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4
5.9L Cummins

2019 Nash 23D

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at a Nash, Dutchman, or Artic Fox?

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Extreme" as in long term camping and below 20-25 degrees F isn't something they talk about in the "data sheet." They do say "extended
season package with underbelly insulation."

https://www.cruiserrv.com/control/addons/rvadmin/library/datasheets/2018-Shadow-Cruiser-225RBS.pdf

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to their site and "chatted" with the answering person. To my question of "what do you mean by extended season package?" He answered...and I quote...

"This will allow you to use the Rv up to 32 degrees and above."

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B-n-B wrote:

Like mine, Shadow Cruiser is a Heartland product. I noticed many similarities in the VR tour of this model to my TT. I'd say overall it's about average for quality.

If it’s average build quality for the price, that’s not too bad at all. Because the price is pretty decent.

Is there anything on yours that was not up to par that you changed? Things I should take into account?

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Have you looked at a Nash, Dutchman, or Artic Fox?

Yes. I have an arctic fox right now. They are significantly more expensive. And the interiors are significantly worse looking in appearance. That leads me to believe they are built better. Basically, that’s the crux of my entire question about the TT I was looking at.

B-n-B

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AdvancedQs wrote:

B-n-B wrote:

If it’s average build quality for the price, that’s not too bad at all. Because the price is pretty decent.

Is there anything on yours that was not up to par that you changed? Things I should take into account?

I agree the price for the features and level of quality is fair.

So far we are happy with the purchase. As with a lot of RVs the mattress was the first thing to go. Otherwise I've added 400w of solar, fantastic fan and a clear bathroom skylight in place of the smoked one. Besides the solar the additions are pretty minor personal things.

I will add that I called Heartland technical support and a human answered my call and supplied me with an answer on the spot. Not unique to Heartland, but it was a nice first impression.

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B-n-B wrote:

AdvancedQs wrote:

B-n-B wrote:

I agree the price for the features and level of quality is fair.

So far we are happy with the purchase. As with a lot of RVs the mattress was the first thing to go. Otherwise I've added 400w of solar, fantastic fan and a clear bathroom skylight in place of the smoked one. Besides the solar the additions are pretty minor personal things.

I will add that I called Heartland technical support and a human answered my call and supplied me with an answer on the spot. Not unique to Heartland, but it was a nice first impression.

Thank you! Pretty excited to hear first hand about these things.

I’ll definitely be making power upgrades like you have. Solar is the first.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I missed it, but what makes Cruiser "4-season"? I see their claims to "extended season" camping by having ducted heat to the underbelly, but I don't see any insulation values. Do they keep all plumbing out of exterior walls? At the dump valves enclosed?

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice product. I'm just not convinced it's all-season capability is the same as Northwoods/ORV.

BTW - It looks like maybe AF finally has modernized their interiors a bit?

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a new 25ft, 4 season TT - Are these high quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.