Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thinking About Winter Storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Thinking About Winter Storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run the tank low and fill it with alcohol free gas (assuming it isn't a diesel) add some red Sta-Bil and run long enough to be sure it is all through the system including the generator. You still may want to run the generator on a regular bases because some are very fussy sitting for more than a month. I would not start the motorhome. If you have power where you are storing you could but a battery tender on the batteries.

PSW

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, I am fortunate to have indoor storage available for our Roadtrek. For winter, here is what I do beyond winterizing.

1. Keep the gas tank full. Probably not necessary these days, but old dogs don't relearn their tricks.

2. Use a simple battery cutoff switch on coach and chassis batteries. Here is what I use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-Cutoff-Switch-Car-Rv-Boat-Truck-Link-Terminal-Quick-Disconnect-Kill-Key/119498120

You can buy them at Walmart or most places for under ten bucks. Make sure the batteries are fully charged before storage. In northern climes, some prefer to remove the batteries and store them inside a garage.

3. I drive my RT about sixty miles once a month for all the reasons others have mentioned. I fire up the generator and put it under a good load (the RT has a heat pump so I just set the thermostat sky high, crack the back windows and use that for a load.

4. I fill back up with gas before putting it back in storage.

I feel that it is imperative to run the generator for at least an hour and some manuals suggest two hours every month as a minimum.

5. Other than that, I protect it like I would any vehicle.

PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Thinking About Winter Storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.