cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV wall bracket question

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 29" Tv for my bedroom. I need a wall bracket and figured since I have to buy one why not get one with a extra bracket I can mount on the exterior of my unit as well. What bracket do any of you recommend? Obviously I want something that isn't going to rust and that info I can't seem to find in any of the descriptions I am reading on different models.

Also is there anything to be aware of as far as fastening it to the exterior of my unit? I'm thinking find a stud, drill a pilot hole through the fiberglass, put some caulking on hole to keep out the water and screw the bracket to the wall. Sound about right?
8 REPLIES 8

SUMRX4
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Well when it comes to mounting on the exterior of your unit... Some considerations

ONE: You set it up watch the Stupid Bowl and go to bed. and it rains, and it rains and your TV is still out there not protected.

Two. you might notice I said Stupid Bowl, not Super Bowl... IT may be your next site neighbor is NOT interested in teh game or show you are watching.

NOW if you mount the TV in a compartment where you can simply close the door to weather proof it.. That addresses the first issue.

Put it inside and you take care of both.

No fear of a stupid bowl on any TV I own. :B
I'd take it inside when I went in for the evening anyway but I see you point about having to be weather conscious.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well when it comes to mounting on the exterior of your unit... Some considerations

ONE: You set it up watch the Stupid Bowl and go to bed. and it rains, and it rains and your TV is still out there not protected.

Two. you might notice I said Stupid Bowl, not Super Bowl... IT may be your next site neighbor is NOT interested in teh game or show you are watching.

NOW if you mount the TV in a compartment where you can simply close the door to weather proof it.. That addresses the first issue.

Put it inside and you take care of both.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think before I chanced all the problems mentioned above, I would go with what Sandia Man mentioned, Just set it on an outside table, like we used to do also, but as he said, we no longer watch TV outside, if we're outside, we're usually doing something else.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our rig came with the brackets to easily move the TV...problem is there are not on a swing arm, so you can't fit anything close to a 29" TV on them. So make sure to check what will fit.

We did thru bolt the bedroom TV bracket arm but it comes out inside the medicine cabinet, so it's not an appearance issue. If you can find a similar location, that would be good.

Yes, fiberglass units typically have studs but they are often aluminum, so you have to be careful screwing them down not to strip out the hole.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be OK the way you plan on mounting bracket on the exterior wall, I would also use some butyl tape behind bracket as well for added protection. It can be difficult to find enough studs to use in the location you desire, your TV is a recent model it should be pretty light and may not require that many anchor points to keep it in place while parked.

Other methods we've done for outdoor tv usage are mounting an articulating arm or sliding tray within a storage bay which can make it easier to anchor. When we started RVing we would put TV on outdoor table, it is rare we watch TV outside anymore since kids are grown and gone, unless the sun was down it was a pretty washed out picture during the day anyway.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Ever thought of a suction cup mount?

GOstick

That is neat. BUT, I would tie a cable and secure up somewhere so if loss of vacumm, the TV would not fall and just then hang. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ever thought of a suction cup mount?

GOstick
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a fiberglass exterior wall, there are no real studs like in a house. There is nothing but styrofoam in the wall. There are metal supports at various places in the sidewall. Like where interior walls or overhead cabinets are screwed to the outside wall. You will not find studs on 12/16/18 inch centers at all. METAL exterior RV walls you will have studs. We do not install the type you want but my customers that did drilled holes thru the wall and installed a backer plate on the inside wall with bolts. UGLY, but it works. Make SURE you seal the outside plate and screws/bolts correctly or rain water WILL penetrate and delam the wall. If under factory warranty, installing this type exterior bracket will void your sidewall warranty. Doug