cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof concern?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
The EPDM (I think it is EPDM) roof on my 2004 Outfitter TC is coming unglued from whatever is underneath it. I see several areas that are lifting up. None are raised more than 1/4" but they show up. I have no signs of leakage.

Should I be concerned? Can I or should I do anything about it?

Looks very similar to this:

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
14 REPLIES 14

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
d3500ram wrote:
Has anyone else ever seen a TC going down the road where the roof material in the front is ballooning up as it travels?

On a TC no, in a giant 5th wheel, yes, at least every trip I take I see one.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
It should not balloon or have enough loose membrane to lift of flap. It's just a matter of time until repair or replacement is needed.

FWIW, I am a commercial/industrial roofing contractor. We do mostly EPDM rubber and some TPO roofs, I build them to last 30+ years. If I did my roofs to the same low standards as the RV industry, I'd be in jail or bankruptcy court.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2001 Jayco has had a few of those since new. It hasn't caused any issue and hasn't gotten any worse.

I have seen RVs traveling down the road blown up like others have mentioned. I would guess they had some type of water damage to have the adhesive let go completely.

I would check to see if it is looser than the wrinkles in the picture and check for cracks in the caulk.

If it isn't any looser than what the picture shows, I wouldn't worry but would keep a check on it until sure it isn't a water leak.

It's in a place that can be re-glued. Just a lot of caulk and putty to remove.
Joe & Evelyn

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have passed a few of these ballooning roofs traveling in opposite direction and glad I wasn't behind them going same way.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes keep a close eye on it and take occasional photos with your cell phone to see if it is getting worse. See no need for drastic action at this point but make sure no gaps or teares around the roof edges and double check the edge caulking that it is still good condition. I had a few of those on my roof for years with no adverse effects but I also recoated by roof with fresh EDPM once a year. It was fun in early morning cool hours. Cheers

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
Has anyone else ever seen a TC going down the road where the roof material in the front is ballooning up as it travels?

I've seen several 5th wheels with a big "roof membrane balloon"

I often wonder if the owners know (knew) of it.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
d3500ram wrote:

I've seen several 5th wheels with a big "roof membrane balloon"
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Very seldom roofs do spontaneous ungluing, so I would suspect small leak somewhere.
Now if the leak is due to gap up front, that will suck the air at speeds and create balloon.
I would cut the wrinkles and glue them flat with urethane coulking.
That I would apply Henry $50/gallon roofing sealer on top of everything.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
the roof on my 1997 31' 10" 5th wheel rv trailer has looked like that in spots since new.

I do a twice a year roof check for blisters or tears or holes in the membrane....sealant cracks...cracked or broken roof jacks and other fixtures. Just keep a eye on it but I sure wouldn't add any more holes the roof for more places for water intrusion.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what happened to mine. Keep in mind the wind will cause havoc. Not a fun repair!!

Click link to my repair
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aside, that is the cleanest roof I've ever seen! Bravo!

No experience, but I'd just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, some judiciously placed staples with a dab of goo over them to keep waterproof would be my plan of attack.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
The adhesive has given up, it should not leak but with time will get worse. Only way to remedy it would be to pull it up and put new adhesive down if it doesn't pull up the luon as you pull it away, in that case you would need to get a new sheet of epdm and put down a new roof. It isn't that bad of a job to do but once you open the can of worms you might see rot on the roof that needs fixing.

This is my old camper I had to redo the roof on to give you an idea: https://imgur.com/a/RriBM
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is this a new issue? If yes, it's certainly cause for concern.

And yes, I've seen the roof of an RV blown up like a balloon going down the highway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sure others will chime in....but,

I think I would be concerned... if it is losing adhesion in partial areas it might continue to do so over time.

Has anyone else ever seen a TC going down the road where the roof material in the front is ballooning up as it travels? I have seen it perhaps twice. Not saying that the OP's will do the same or is doing this currently, but it might have the potential to do so.

JMHO.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.