cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for our Class C (E-450). The motorhome did not come with a factory installed TPMS. Just looking to see shat people have had success using, since there are so many systems on the market. I was planning on adding extensions to the rear duals to get access without having to remove the wheel covers every time I want to check the pressure or add air. However, in thinking about that last statement, if I know the tire pressure, I don't have to remove the wheel cover to check it and would only have to remove the cover to add air and therefore may not need extensions.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
11 REPLIES 11

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
TPMS was mandated in 2007 by the feds to improve fuel economy and not to make vehicles safer. I get 2-4 PSI changes based on which side of the vehicle is in direct sunlight and I ignore the readings. If a tire is losing air after a week then it is time to go to a tire shop and have it checked out.

Best way to maximize fuel economy is to drive at the posted speed limit or slower.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
https://eezrvproducts.com/ https://tsttruck.com/ https://www.tireminder.com/ seem to be the most popular. I went with the EEZ a few years ago.

IMO don't go cheap. Like a certain tire manufacture says Your life is riding on your tires.

alaskan-rver
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
...I decided to buy valve extensions but I was advised to replace the valves instead. But Iโ€™m trying extensions first...

Do not put extensions on rubber valve stems. The weight of the extensions will cause the valves to flex to the point that the valve pops off, giving you a tire blowout.

Been there, done that.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a less than $30 system on the rear 4 tires for a few years now. The cheap systems last about 2 years and are not NASA accurate but never fail to report a low tire.

I was able to use them without extensions until they changed the design just a bit. So as much as I dislike the extensions use them for the inside dual only and am confident the TPMS will report a extension failure/pressure loss.

I also use these on the wife's car as the factory system only reports a low tire, not which tire or how low.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought and installed a less expensive TPMS from Amazon. Blueskysea TS610 Solar TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System for RV Trailer with 6 External Wireless ...
Had a little trouble getting them tight enough to read. Could not use the locking washers. Had to remove the hubcaps. Not an easy job to pry them off. I decided to buy valve extensions but I was advised to replace the valves instead. But Iโ€™m trying extensions first. The display goes on the dash. I noticed the tires read about one psi less today than during the initial install. The valve extensions are longer than I wanted so Iโ€™m clamping them to the hubcaps for easy access.
Itโ€™s nice to see the psi from the dash. Part of the setup is alarms for low psi and high temperature.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very pleased with the performance of our TST 507 TPMS. The valve cap pressure/temperature sensors have easily replaced low cost batteries that typically last about a year. Since first installing a TST system on our previous motorhome in 2008 to our current motorhome, it has saved us from deflating tires a few times and alerted us to a hung wheel cylinder and a failing wheel bearing on our toad, easily saving us more than the cost of the 10-sensor system.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I keep it rather simple. I carry a pocket inferred thermometer, and check tire temperature when we stop, for a break.

The problem with that system is that you have to be very disciplined to check every tire every time you stop (especially in bad weather), and if you develop a slow leak while driving, you're not going to notice until your next stop (or the tire goes flat enough to notice while driving). A TPMS will report both pressure and temperature and warn you if either goes out of range.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
We have what real camper has and it works out well.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
While you are waiting search this forum for `tpms' and read the previous posts on this popular topic.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the TireMinder Smart TPMS since 2017, which we monitor on our ipad in our tow vehicle. We LOVE it!

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it rather simple. I carry a pocket inferred thermometer, and check tire temperature when we stop, for a break.