cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS valve stems issue

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a TST TPMS set of tire monitors on our trailer, and they work well. The wheels are fancy aluminum rims that came on the unit.
However, the valve stems leak due to the centrifugal force placed upon them. I've replaced them, but again, they leak.
Apparently, I have to get a metal type of valve stem installed on the wheels, but finding the correct brand and type is a mystery as the tire shops don't speak "valve stem."
Anyone with knowledge please get back with a brand of stem or where I can get info???
Thanks........................
22 REPLIES 22

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My MH brass stem seals are replaced with new tires.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know if you need to replace metal valve stems when you get new tires or can you continue to use the old ones?

I get new metal valve stems when I get new tires because of the old rubber seals on the old valve stems

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Depending on your rims the search can be easy or very hard. The easiest route is metal stems that tighten on the inside of the rim. Get the shortest stems that are long enough to let you mount your sensors. Best way is to put your spare on the trailer (presuming that you don't have a matching rim on the spare) and break the bead on the tire and try various stems. They are cheap enough to get a few different ones and then get a set of what works. If you have a steel spare that is a real easy one. If you get other than brass stems, use a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the threads to inhibit corrosion. Good luck.

I erased my post because I hit the wrong button

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally they do NOT replace metal valve stems unless you request it.
I've had a few cases of valve stem failure where I broke it down and put in metal. I had metal (OEM) from on the motor home... of the six on the Motor home 4 were replaced when I put new rubber on because I put in Duly valves (Oh by the way if you have duals I very very very highly recommend duly valves) They did not however replace the front.... one of which failed later that year.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm planning to add the TMS 507 cap sensors to my 2014 Jeep toad that has factory TPMS with rubber stems. The cap sensors are rated for rubber stems.

Has anyone done this? Are metal TPMS stems available?

FYI For a short trip I moved 2 MH sensors to the rear toad tires as a test and there were no issues. This also verified that the repeater location which is inside the MH and 10' from the rear was OK.

Bob

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire dealer said the metal valve stems they had wouldn't fit on my rims. They had a heavy duty valve stem, and it was heavy duty.

I ordered the Ford trailer TPMS kit with my truck. I'm going to miss the TST temperature monitoring, but it will be one less device on top of the Instrument Panel.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Many tire stores have metal stems: Discount Tire, for example.

X2 They put metal stems on my trailer rims.

Rubber stems can Crack from tpms use
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with changing valve stems, I had changed my truck tires to 19.5โ€ with new Vision heavy hauler wheels and had les schwab install the tpms sensors and new metal valve stems.

Fast forward three months or so and I noticed my passenger rear was a little low, went to add air at my usual fuel stop and the valve stem came loose and the tire went down in a hurry. Once I realized what was happening I quickly moved my truck out of the way so I could change to the spare tire. It turned out they used valve stems too short and the nut was just holding by a thread or two and finally came loose, glad I wasnโ€™t on the highway.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many years ago I stopped at a Chandler AZ Discount Tire store to ask about MH tires. "Not in stock but we can have them tomorrow", "OK let's set up an appointment", "Ohh we don't install them but you can take them to the guy down the street".

Since that time I assume that most shops can add air to a tire. But even then with "I need 120 psi in these tires which are now warm at about 115F and they don't know what to do".

There are some shops experienced in RV tires but from my experience most can just talk the talk and fall down on the walk.

Bob

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler, I know what I want when I go in to Discount Tire, Michelin XPS Ribs. Most locations are fairly tight for larger rigs. Here in Yuma AZ. they do mount a lot of RV tires at their two locations due to high RV population.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobsallyh wrote:
I buy quite a few tires from Discount Tires in different areas especially Montana to avoid sales tax. No matter where, none have had metal valve stems. Also, if they are mounting duals, be sure to make sure they line-up valve stems correctly.
That suggests to me that they are focused on car tires and know little if anything about RV tires. But they can talk it up.

Bob

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I buy quite a few tires from Discount Tires in different areas especially Montana to avoid sales tax. No matter where, none have had metal valve stems. Also, if they are mounting duals, be sure to make sure they line-up valve stems correctly.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the post that stated Discount Tire---They are the only company here that has the tires we want, but when I said "metal valve stems"---they looked at me like cows in a field do when you sing to them.
Come on, we all have sung to a cow at some time in our lives.....

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted dual post.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue