Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pre-planning for first long duration trip upon retirement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Pre-planning for first long duration trip upon retirement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Salty Dog

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I have been Rv'ing for many years but never went on a long duration trip where a multitude of travel days were needed. The most was two long travel days from NY state to Florida. We are starting to look at traveling to Alaska (fron New York State) once we retire in a year or so. Knowing the distance, there will be several weeks of travel in each direction. We will likely break this up by visiting a lot of national attractions as we go. What suggestions, pointers, tips, advice do you folks have regarding this adventure?

Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest you take 2-3 months and see as much of the west and Alaska as is possible. You will not regret doing so but if you don't you will almost certainly will. That period in your lives will be an exciting time and should be enjoyed. Old age and with it will bring infirmities that won't permit that type of trip.

Go and enjoy. Limit your daily mileage to about 300 miles. Limit your travel days to about 4 days per week. Don't tie your selves down with a schedule. That's why you're retiring. Be safe.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take I-80 across and the obvious stops are Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Yellowstone/Tetons and up to Glacier. Cross into Canada Est of Glacier. There are many other places to visit along that route. Take your time, travel 200 miles or less a day. Stay multiple days in one spot. Fulltiming is a whole new game.

I'm still not convinced Canada will be open next year. Lot's of people thought the border would be open earlier this year, they grudgingly opened it on the 9th but with all sorts of restrictions. I have not heard a report from anyone crossing it yet.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be adaptive, flexible and change as wanted or needed. With all the recent RV sales and hence CG availability are recent consierations.

The virus may still be causing restrictions which could include border closures. In recent summers and expecially this year there have been very significant western fires and smoke in the US and Canada to consider. Have a plan B if not C.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Don't tie your selves down with a schedule.

That's much harder to do these days, especially if you want to go to the more popular state parks, which tend to book up far in advance.

You don't need to pre-book every night, but you'll probably need to map out a general schedule for some of the more significant stops so you can reserve a spot in advance. Things *might* get better next year, but I think it'll take a few years for the crowds to subside.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest a couple shorter trips before big long one. That gives you a little time to adjust to the rig.
I would suggest using US Highways and primary state highways. More to see along the way.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only advice I can offer is, do it while you can. Don't put it off, you don't know what life will hand you tomorrow.
And, definitely travel the side roads and see America.
Enjoy your trip(s) and retirement.

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

be sure your bank / credit card knows you are leaving and approx route.
it saves hold ups at the fuel pumps and any other large purchases

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself a favor and stay off the interstates. We travel mostly US numbered or state highways. We enjoy the small towns, slower pace, and unusual museums along the way.
My truck and TT have never tried to jump off the road to kill me and I don't worry about 2 lane roads, scenic highways, mountain passes or long grades.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was fortunate enough to be able to take a trip roughly along those lines with my dear mom (well, more focused on Alaska and less so on the western continental US national parks), and posted a travelogue (with pictures) here afterwards. It might give you some ideas to consider.

I think the places that most stand out to me from Alaska, the ones I'd most like to see again and spend more time at, are Kennicott / McCarthy and the Dalton Highway, at least as far as Galbraith Lake. The Dalton highway was most definitely hard on my motorhome, though; it's hundreds of miles of variably rough gravel road, and gives everything a thorough shaking and (on the days I was there--conditions are very much weather-dependent) a very complete mud bath. The scenery was well worth it to me. There were a good many other only slightly lesser highlights.

The Beringia Interpretive Center museum in Whitehorse, YT is absolutely fascinating, as well, and definitely worth seeing if you're going through the area--and you will be if you're driving to Alaska.

Get the milepost; it's handy even though it's largely advertising. Get Church's book on Alaska camping. Get the Benchmark atlas of Alaska. Get comfortable with dry camping, if you aren't already.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Pre-planning for first long duration trip upon retirement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.