cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 66 in a Motorhome

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in but here goes. My wife and I have 25 foot motorhome and were thinking about a trip along route 66. Interested in the thoughts of those who have made this trip in a motorhome and what are the positives and negatives. We may or may nor tow a vehicle......thank you in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
I will answer again, hopefully I will not be moderated out again.
Most of 66 is quick photo opportunities. You need to be on your toes,and often parking is non existent. Some towns have really done a great job of capitalizing on the Mother Road mystique while others apparently do not see the value.
Much of 66 is now the service road for I-40.It is a pain to drive but do not succumb to the interstate, there is much to be seen.
Most of the attractions have the same old 50's and 60's kitsh so don't expect anything new and wonderful.
The story of 66 is the story of the nation, modernization, urban renewal. It is replete with the successes and the (many) failures and the results on unintended consequences. A sobering ride and a chance for reflection.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
First things First!!!

Buy or barrow the book - EZ 66. You will not regret it.

You did not say which way you are going. The book works both ways, you just have to run it backwards if you start in Chicago.

We did most of it in a 23' Class A and had a great time, but we were going to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great trip to travel the route 1000's of motorhomes have done the past 50 years on "the Mother Road"
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
My youngest daughter and I did a Rt66 trip from Springfield IL to Amarillo TX and back (we live near peoria il) in early July this year. Used our 34 foot Class C only, no toad. Was a fun trip. Some parts we just popped on the interstate. As mentioned, we had several published books about 66 trips. We made detours, such as Laura Ingalls Wilder home in Mansfield MO, where she lived 63 years and wrote all the Little House books.

Our favorite stop was Big Texan steak house on 66 in Amarillo. We ate there twice! We also did Palo Duro Canyon State park south of Amarillo.

In 2017, we did 66 from Amarillo to Kingman AZ. Never did the whole trip, just parts over the years.

Point is, our 33/34 foot C did fine...tiring after while to pack up each day (not a big issue, just when you are the only one doing it because wife stayed home to work!). I planned 80% + of all stops to avoid issues. Parking was my main concern but ended up with no issues.

Stop at the National Rt66 Museum in ELK CITY, OK. It was worth the stop!

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
The Route 66 in Arizona along I40 is narrow but in good condition. It will be interesting but slow driving IMO.

Drove I-40 in AR last April and thought it was in horrible condition. Route 66 may be in better condition.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to Winslow AZ, be sure to check out the statue of the guy on "the corner", as in Winslow AZ. If you are an Eagles fan it's a fun stop.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The Route 66 in Arizona along I40 is narrow but in good condition. It will be interesting but slow driving IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speaking on portion from Amarillo to LA, I don't recall any real issues pertinent to traveling via motorhome, although currently traversing RT 66 through native reservations or pueblos as known in NM, might prove difficult due to stringent policies to prohibit spread of Covid to their nations. Lots to see and explore, can't comment on positives or negatives as we all tend to view life our own way. Come back and let us know how your much you enjoyed or were dismayed with your experience down good ole RT 66.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There have been several books on the subject which you might want to check in preparation for this nostalgic trip.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We did most of Route 66 from Springfield, IL to Needles, CA. in our 30 foot MH with toad. There is some armea we used the toad.
Watch for signs for bridge heights as some are low. Old sections of higheway is narrow so you may need to straddle center line. True near Turkey Tracks in concrete.
Section between Kingman, AZ and Oatman is vry difficult. It is narrow, crooked and steep. We did it but not for the faint of heart.
Route 66

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker