cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First big road trip with 5th wheel - thru Wyoming

Rchouk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all...I am knew to this forum and we are planning a trip from Columbia falls MT to Yellowstone then thru Wyoming to South Dakota then north to North Dakota. This is our planned route:

West Yellowstone to Tetonโ€™s route 287
Jackson to Riverton - Route 287
Riverton to Thermopolis - route 20
Riverton to Casper Route 20
Casper to Gillette Hwy 25 to 259 into Edgerton to 387 to Gillette
Gillette to Devils Tower - route 14 to route 24
Devils Tower to Speerfish SD - route 24
Spearfish SD north on hwy 85 to North Dakota
Route 85 to Williston ND then north to Fortuna over to Crosby ND

We will end up at a friends house in Crosby. I am curious as to if these roads are good driving with the 5th wheel and if there are any off the beaten path type of things we should make sure to check out.

I want to see the Teton's, hotsprings in Thermopolis, Crazy Women canyon by Buffalo wy, Devils Tower, MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mtn, Spearfish Canyon.

Anything else we should put on my list and no time frame ...so I can add as much as I want to...lol

Thanks
Cindy
3 REPLIES 3

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a good tow vehicle and are fairly experienced......all routes are good. If you donโ€™t fulfill the above criteria.....certainly avoid Teton Pass.

When in Thermopolis visit the Wyoming Dinosaur Center.....a very highly recognized privately owned museum! If youโ€™re a fisherman/person, Thermopolis also has great trout fishing in the Big Horn River....both do it yourself and guided! They also have some pretty good rodeos thru out the summer! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
You mention Jackson and if staying there going through Yellowstone & Grand Teton is OK but it may be slow because of crowds. Another route would be West Yellowstone via Hwy 20 to Idaho Falls then 26 to Alpine and north to Jackson. There's a little shortcut from 20 to 26 via Victor but DON'T get on 22 between Victor and Jackson as a short cut - you won't like the steep Teton Pass. Instead, once in Victor take 31 to 26 to Alpine. If staying in Grand Teton then going through Yellowstone makes more sense.

387 to 50 into Gillette would also work.

The other highways are good.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
The Teddy Roosevelt NP at Medora ND is worth a visit