cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling now with COVID 2.0 (Delta)

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
With COVID cases increasing, unfortunately, how does everyone feel about booking trips for the early fall? We were looking forward to a a week or two over the road but now have reservations about going. Already have met people getting sick after being vaccinated and I wouldn't want to have that happen while away.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
21 REPLIES 21

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crabbypatty wrote:
Appreciate responses. My friend got Covid 2.0 after he was vaccinated. He needed to be in the hospital for an iv. Then quarantined for 10 days. Dw canโ€™t drive the fifth wheel. If I get sick we are stuck.

Just asking, was your friend immune compromised, basically not healthy to begin with?

It seems like most โ€œBreakthroughโ€ cases are those that are immune compromised.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

my440 wrote:
I would go before the seasonal flu arrives typically in fall as the arrival will bring strong lockdowns again.

No worriesโ€ฆ every sickness will be filed under COVID againโ€ฆ Flu season has been canceled
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
my440 wrote:
I would go before the seasonal flu arrives typically in fall as the arrival will bring strong lockdowns again.

Last year the flu season wasn't bad at all because of masking and distancing for Covid. Plus, a lot more got the flu vaccine to protect themselves from yet, another issue. This year.... not so sure unless more people start being careful again.

OP: As to travel in the Fall... no one can tell you what it's going to be like. If you're a worrier, stay home. If not, go, be vaccinated and take common sense precautions.

I'd highly suggest both husband and wife learn to drive a RV; not just for now but at any time one of you could get sick or injured. Both knowing how to drive and do the connections puts you more at ease. We always took turns with every move during our 16 years of full-timing so we stayed comfortable doing it. Women are fully capable of driving even the biggest RV.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do what best for your situation, although we have not stopped RVing during the pandemic, thankfully AZ and TX remained open when NM was totally shut down. Went on over a dozen trips out of state last year and had a ball. I do over 90% of the driving while RVing, but it would be a huge disservice to my DW if I didn't allow her to get behind the wheel now and again. We have had TTs, 5ers, toy haulers and now 40' Class A, sure she wasn't thrilled but every RV she willingly learned to sit in the pilot's seat.

Can't catch covid unless you are not following CDC protocols, I don't need to worry what others are doing to protect themselves as long as I remain diligent. New cases of variant among vaccinated people has less than 1% fatality rate, most don't even know they have it. What is alarming is the death rate for those acquiring the variant and have not opted to receive the vaccination, much higher percentage for fatalities than the first wave of Covid. Wearing a mask and sanitizing hands can provide protection when away from your RV.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to Gettysburg in October-no RV, staying in a hotel. If we feel uncomfortable and it's not already required we will mask up. I am NOT putting my life on hold again. Our neighbor's 65 year old mom just passed away. Too young.

If we can convince the holdouts to get vaccinated we won't have to have this conversation again.

OP brings up a point that I've stressed multiple times. Everyone who's capable should learn how to drive their respective units. But that's for another thread.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Weโ€™re still going.we may change what we do when we get to where weโ€™re going,but weโ€™re going to be there no matter what!

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on your circumstances. If you have major health issues than you may want to stay home. Or go and try to stay isolated as much as possible and wear a mask and use sanitizer when you have to be in public.I have some health issues myself and will be 70 in a few months. I have been vaccinated and don't plan on letting this slow me down.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you've been vaccinated, the risks are negligible.

99% of all new cases among the unvaccinated and even the break thru cases are almost always mild.

Could it happen that you are the exception? sure...but you could trip and punch the ball from the hitch thru your forhead...are you going to stop towing because that's a risk?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Possible booster shots coming. I'm ready, the more protection the better.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
Dw canโ€™t drive the fifth wheel. If I get sick we are stuck.

Maybe it would be worth your time to get the DW up to speed on driving the fifth wheel, if only so as to feel comfortable enough to do so in an emergency situation. Lots of things can happen that could temporarily incapacitate you, not just Covid, and her being able and confident to get out of a sticky situation would seem to me to be a good thing all around.

I'm of course not suggesting that she be a primary driver if that's not her preference. I'm also not suggesting that you do anything to gravely compromise your relationship!

I know one person that tested positive after being fully vaccinated. That person would have not known they were positive with the exception of the test that was standard before going into the hospital for an unrelated surgeryโ€ฆ
He stayed home and quarantine for the proper time and had zero symptoms the entire time.. his wife, and fellow workers all tested negativeโ€ฆ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate responses. My friend got Covid 2.0 after he was vaccinated. He needed to be in the hospital for an iv. Then quarantined for 10 days. Dw canโ€™t drive the fifth wheel. If I get sick we are stuck.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have cancer and am immune compromised. Tests showed I had no antibodies from the vaccines. SO I will probably not go on my FLorida snowbird trip unless things change. I hope to get the booster ASAP. I have been told to stay isolated.