cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just experienced our first Non-refundable campground

randot
Explorer
Explorer
We finally had to face the sad facts and cancel our trip to Lake Almanor (burning up right now in the Dixie fire). I had made several reservations on the way to our final destination and had to start the process of cancelling those reservations. I came across a NO-REFUNDS policy at one of these campgrounds (credit card charged in full once reservation is made and no-refunds for any reason). Full disclosure, it does say this on the website when you make the reservation, but of course, at the time I had no reason to cancel. Also, just because it is in writing, that doesnโ€™t negate the fact it is a crappy policy.
I understand a cancellation fee for late cancellations, but I cancelled this reservation more than three weeks out. Obviously, we all know that the campground will be able to re-book this site and not be out any money โ€“ did I mention it was for Labor Day weekend? I would really rather donate $100 to a firefighter charity than just let this campground take it.
Has anyone else run across such a crappy policy?
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
2013 Voltage 3200 EPIC II
Two GSDs and toys
53 REPLIES 53

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
capacitor wrote:
This is like the flip side of the coin. I made reservations in February for 4 sites at Dorst Creek campground in the Kings canyon and think it was a federal park. The reservations were for first week in July. Two weeks before this date I receive an email stating that they had cancelled two of my sites and they would refund my CC with no cancelation fee. I called the park and they said there is a dangerous tree over those two spots. I said I need four so please cancel my other two and refund me the cost. They said no problem but there was a cancellation fee. I asked nicely why as there was no fee on the other two and all were made at the same time. They told me too bad. How about them apples!

This is my point. I understand the cancellation policy.
But when covid, or wild fires or some event beyond the campers controls intercects with the plan some considerration should be given other than the standard line. Especially 3 weeks out when the site can be re booked!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
This is like the flip side of the coin. I made reservations in February for 4 sites at Dorst Creek campground in the Kings canyon and think it was a federal park. The reservations were for first week in July. Two weeks before this date I receive an email stating that they had cancelled two of my sites and they would refund my CC with no cancelation fee. I called the park and they said there is a dangerous tree over those two spots. I said I need four so please cancel my other two and refund me the cost. They said no problem but there was a cancellation fee. I asked nicely why as there was no fee on the other two and all were made at the same time. They told me too bad. How about them apples!

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
He wouldnโ€™t be canceling. They have their money and he has his site. Why are you so upset?

This thread should be closed!!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
capacitor wrote:
Wow, you guys are tough! I would have called and said I have a vehicle problem but I would be there the next day. Then call again and said Iโ€™m on my way. This way they canโ€™t double book. To hell with them.

Which could be why they have the policy in the first place - because people wait until the very last second to cancel so the can't re-book the site.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
randot wrote:
You know darn good and well your reason for posting was not to actually be quoted some percentage, but to voice your displeasure at having gotten yourself in a situation where you have forfeited a deposit., even though you knew the policy when you made your reservation. Righteous indignation at others for not posting as you wish they would isnโ€™t going to get your money back or even garner you sympathy for a situation of your own making.

And so what if I did want to complain a bit, I would definitely be in the same company as you and toedtoes.

I haven't complained about anything here. I simply pointed out that people have a habit of ignoring policies and then complaining when they suddenly can't get an exception to the policies. We read the posts all the time. I shared some examples.

Go ahead and complain, but as you have read, the majority of people do not agree with your stance.

You have learned a valuable lesson - if you don't like the policies, go elsewhere. Otherwise, suck it up.

randot
Explorer
Explorer
You know darn good and well your reason for posting was not to actually be quoted some percentage, but to voice your displeasure at having gotten yourself in a situation where you have forfeited a deposit., even though you knew the policy when you made your reservation. Righteous indignation at others for not posting as you wish they would isnโ€™t going to get your money back or even garner you sympathy for a situation of your own making.

And so what if I did want to complain a bit, I would definitely be in the same company as you and toedtoes.
Two GSDs and toys

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you guys are tough! I would have called and said I have a vehicle problem but I would be there the next day. Then call again and said Iโ€™m on my way. This way they canโ€™t double book. To hell with them.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
randot wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I think the OP did what so many do. He made the reservation knowing about the no refund policy but figuring it won't affect him.

Then he needed to cancel and it did affect him.

So now he has decided that no refund policies are unfair and we should somehow make these places change their policies so that he won't be faced with this again.

It's a common occurrence. You read the rules, you decide they won't be a problem, then you find out they are a problem for you and they should be forced to change their rules.

The RVer who wants to run the generator all night because it got hot, but generators are not allowed after 8 pm.

The camper who gets one campsite reserved and then finds out he's got 10 buddies coming and the site only allows 6.

The person who reserves a site with a "must be present for the first night or lose the reservation" and then finds out he has to work that first day.

The rules aren't bad until you have reason to want to ignore them. Then suddenly they are evil and must be changed.

Wow, just because I solicited information on how common it might be that campgrounds have a no-refund policy, I now am guilty of running my generator outside of hours, walking through peoplesโ€™ campsites, having way over the limit of people in my campsite, and kicking puppies. Starting to remember why I stopped posting much here.
I donโ€™t believe there is any accurate statistical analysis to answer your original question. All you possibly expect is anecdotal experiences from fellow RVers. It is my belief that most parks have some sort of cancellation policy. It will most likely be tailored to their specific situation.
In the end, this is a discussion forum, not a depository of facts. You know darn good and well your reason for posting was not to actually be quoted some percentage, but to voice your displeasure at having gotten yourself in a situation where you have forfeited a deposit., even though you knew the policy when you made your reservation. Righteous indignation at others for not posting as you wish they would isnโ€™t going to get your money back or even garner you sympathy for a situation of your own making.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
randot wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I think the OP did what so many do. He made the reservation knowing about the no refund policy but figuring it won't affect him.

So now he has decided that no refund policies are unfair and we should somehow make these places change their policies so that he won't be faced with this again.

It's a common occurrence. You read the rules, you decide they won't be a problem, then you find out they are a problem for you and they should be forced to change their rules.

The RVer who wants to run the generator all night because it got hot, but generators are not allowed after 8 pm.

The camper who gets one campsite reserved and then finds out he's got 10 buddies coming and the site only allows 6.

The person who reserves a site with a "must be present for the first night or lose the reservation" and then finds out he has to work that first day.

The rules aren't bad until you have reason to want to ignore them. Then suddenly they are evil and must be changed.

Wow, just because I solicited information on how common it might be that campgrounds have a no-refund policy, I now am guilty of running my generator outside of hours, walking through peoplesโ€™ campsites, having way over the limit of people in my campsite, and kicking puppies. Starting to remember why I stopped posting much here.

You didn't ask how common no refund policies are. You complained that even though you knew the policy before making reservations, you suddenly consider it a "crappy policy" because the park didn't waive it for you.

If you don't like a company's policies then take your business elsewhere. But don't do business with them and the complain about their policies that you knew beforehand.

The fact is, you were fine with their policy until it affected you.

randot
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

Two GSDs and toys

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sure but the cost of the tickets is so much higher, you could cancel and lose your money on 50% of non-refundable tickets and still come out ahead.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I spent many years as a corporate travel coordinator. It's all about risk and timing. But we digress.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
The no refund policy was clearly stated when you made your reservation. No refund means exactly that - no refund. Was there any kind of statement that outlined a timeline for the no refund policy? I do know some campgrounds allow for at least a partial refund if a cancelation is made more than 10 days out from date of arrival. If there was no such timeline, what did you expect from the owners? A personal exemption from their policy? Honestly do not understand your consternation. We recently had reservations in a CG in Florida, in anticipation of a month long trip to the area in September. Due to the high rate of Covid in that state, we decided to go elsewhere. I called the CG, explaining our rationale for canceling. They do NOT have a "no refund policy" posted on their online site. There was no question, no argument, no hesitation. Our deposit was quickly returned. I chose this campground for several reasons, but one was the absence of a no refund policy. I did anticipate a fee for our change of plans, precisely because it was done with a credit card and the campground is charged a fee for every transaction. Even that did not occur! We will definitely use this park (Compass RV Park in St. Augustine) when we visit in the future!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wapiticountry wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Next time you encounter a no refund policy reservation...... ask if you could an extra 10% in advance to have the possibility of a refund.
To an owner that would scream we want to stay at a different park but canโ€™t get a reservation. Therefore we are booking with you as a backup, But we will be checking with the other park daily to see if they have a cancellation and then we will exercise that cancellation clause, you will refund our 10% larger deposit and you will be collecting 10% more of ZERO. (Less the credit card fees for both the deposit and the refund)

Yup... and if I were the owner and had a no refund policy, I'd say "sure, you can add 10% and I will give you the option to cancel and get a 10% refund.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS