cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just beginning to do homework

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Considering going to Alaska Summer of '22 and looking at tour/rally packages and if better to do trip on our own, or not at all. We are from East Coast so budgeting 2-3 weeks to drive out and back and about 8 weeks going through AK. Any experiences and input are welcome. It is quite a commitment in terms of $$ and time. Wife and I are just returning from almost a year on the road in our 35' Tiffin DP. We think we are ready for new adventure. but we've been wrong before.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
32 REPLIES 32

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"There is no guarantee but before you do your very first mile get your vehicles fully serviced. If a part looks dodgy, have it replaced. I do & did for this trip but Murphy is always there riding with you. Once north of Edmonton help is further & further apart & available.

Carry routine spares. Fuel filters, oil filters, brake rotor pads. That type of thing that a northern garage probably won't have on hand & there is no such thing as next day delivery.

Carry tools that you need for things that you can do yourself."

Traveling to AK, as has been noted before, is not to the end of the world, but (having driven to/from AK since 1976), I can't imagine better advice than that above. In particular, take what is needed to swap rims/tires and take a good plug / patch kit as well; a small compressor or even a small compressed air tank could be worth it's weight in gold. In that 40 years of driving the Alcan, I only had one busted headlight, but a spare light or bulb for one's headlights would be a good thing as well.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add a horrible thought to consider. Breakdowns.

I am 3 weeks into being truckless at this very moment due to serious truck issues & a lack of parts availability. I am about 5000 miles into a 9000 mile around the country trip.

There is no guarantee but before you do your very first mile get your vehicles fully serviced. If a part looks dodgy, have it replaced. I do & did for this trip but Murphy is always there riding with you. Once north of Edmonton help is further & further apart & available.

Carry routine spares. Fuel filters, oil filters, brake rotor pads. That type of thing that a northern garage probably won't have on hand & there is no such thing as next day delivery.

Carry tools that you need for things that you can do yourself. We broke a wetbolt on the trailer one time. Yes, we had spares & yes we have the tools needed to jack up the trailer & we changed it ourselves in a Dawson City, YT campground.

It set us back about a day but time overall for a few things to go wrong was built into the trip.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are looking at about 100 days, give or take. Doable.

Each of our four trips from MD Eastern Shore was between 120 & 135 days. Time actually in Alaska was between 42 & 50 days. Canada was not treated as a no mans land that had to be rushed through. Canada is huge. Alaska is relatively small. Some of the very best mountain scenery in all of N America is in Canada. Some of the best animal viewing is in Canada.

Treat it less as a trip to Alaska & more as a trip to The North.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^ 3 weeks up, 8 weeks exploring and 3 weeks back is rushed?
For us the trip turned into an adventure that included Canada. We spent 12 weeks after entering Alberta until we exited BC.

For us it was like no other trip that we have taken including Newfoundland. 3 weeks from Phily to AK will limit some fantastic time in northern Canada. But just go and enjoy the trip. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grandpop
Explorer
Explorer
Been reading the forum for past 6 months to help make a buying decision, but my first actual post.

It was a long time ago in another life, but the ex and I did that very same trip back in '94, in a 1990 Tioga Arrow 17' class C (remember, no slides back then). We lived an hour north of you, and without much going out of the way, it was 15,000 miles. We were both going to night college, so left after my Drexel final 3rd week in June, and had to be back first week of Sept for her St Joe start. So 12 weeks, maybe 13 (would have to look actual dates up the photo package I put together to be sure).

I had traveled the US extensively at that time (been in 42 states on motorcycle), and would have to say it was the best trip ever. Anyone who can, should try it at least once. Yes, quite an investment in time and $$.

As some of those motorcycle trips involved 600-700 mile days, we set a limit of 350 miles per day. Stuck to it until the last few days home when we were running out of time. Despite the trip being a "relaxed" pace, with rest days as we wanted, or time to explore whatever we saw a need to investigate, I can say that for us, the trip should have been a few weeks longer. Would have liked to stay in AK for another 2 weeks (or NW territories) to see the northern lights. REALLY sorry I missed that.

In '94 there were no hand held cell phones (we had a bag phone, think it only had reception 3x in AK)), and there was no such thing as mobile internet, so you needed to know everywhere you wanted to go, or had to ask locals once you got there. We had a AAA trip-tik, and we used the Milepost. Never had any trouble navigating (not that many roads up there), and were fortunate that we did not have any MH issues.

As we were driving a LOT of dirt roads, I did string up a heavy wire screen attached to poles clamped to frt bumper, and that extended 10" above the hood. A rock catcher. Wasn't all that pretty, but stopped a few rocks from the trucks going the other way; grill, radiator, and windshield were not damaged.

We took it slowish, but there never any grass growing under the tires either; we were not the fastest nor slowest thing on the roads. A few times we hit the frost heaves at speed, and once I honestly thought we would flip on our side (but didn't).

Seem to remember it took us entire month to get to AK, but we did spend 5 days in Glacier Nat Park (anyone with limited time can just visit the east side of Glacier - it is very close to Alaska scenery). As I recall, from Glacier we went to Banff, Jasper, then west to Stewart and up the 350 mile dirt Stewart-Cassier highway. About half way up you can duck across the CA/AK border to Hyder,AK, then get back on the S-C and headed north to Al-Can at Watson Lake. At White horse, we headed south to Skagway AK (mostly dirt), took the ferry to Haines, then drove back north to the Al-Can and to Tok AK. They said the salmon run was just starting in Valdez, so we headed down south. Stopped at McCarthy, then Valdez. Great camping on the rocks right at the bay. As I recall, that was the 1st 7,000 miles and took 4 weeks.

Next back up to Palmer, Portage Glacier, Seward, Soldatna, and camped at the tip of the spit on the beach at Homer for 3 nights. Went Halibut fishing here, and mailed the frozen fish home. Tried to get a flight to Kenai to see the bears, but the weather didn't cooperate so we bought the video (funny, never watched it). Then worked our way back up to Anchorage, Denali (camped in the campground inside the park for the max 4 days), and then Fairbanks. Took a bus trip up the haul road to the Arctic Circle, and got the photo in front of the sign.

Went back south to Valdez to see the end of the salmon run. Back up to Tok, then up the (another 400 miles of dirt) Taylor highway (Top of the World highway) to Chicken, over the ferry to Dawson, and down the AL-Can from there to Vancouver. Took a week in the Olympic Nat Forrest, down Oregon coast, visit the redwoods in CA, then right home.

We drove almost every road in AK we could. Even if the town was one way in and same way out, we drove it (dirt or not). Didn't think we would ever get back, so wanted to see it all. We spent as little time on the Al-Can as we could. Saw a LOT of class A rigs with blown out air bags at the Al-Can stops, and did not see many A rigs (of any size) on the dirt roads. Sure it is very different up there today.

My advise is to go to for it. I still remember most of that trip like it was yesterday. Most of the folks I met there from lower 48 were 60s and up (I was early 30's), and more than half were doing the trip alone. It was their "together" dream trip, but one got incapacitated or died, so remaining spouse was doing it with friends/family. Do it while you can!!!!!

With current wife, we are looking at buying a MH and traveling in retirement (starts at end of the year). Probably won't get back to AK, but do plan to get back to Glacier and at least share that beauty with her.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Man I sure hope I get to live the dream some of you are living before I die!

14 weeks does seem like PLENTY of time. FWIW, and even trying to filter out the "I live in Alaska" effect, if the 6 weeks for combined travel to / from isn't enough, I'd suggest sacrificing part of the Alaska time to see BC, YT, and the Mountain West of the US.

Granted I was traveling by car, but it was all the wife and I could do to make the Houston - Anchorage trip last 6 weeks in 2018, even stopping at several NP's and doing a surprising amount of backtracking.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Man I sure hope I get to live the dream some of you are living before I die!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
OP, it sounds like you have done quite a bit of research but I think your timeline is still quite a bit rushed. You may want to look at our 2009 Trip to see how and what all we did on our little over six-month trip. We went from NE Florida so it was a little farther than yours will be but it was still 13,000 miles and that didn't include going up the Inside Passage on the Marine Ferry. Their is an expense summary at the end of the trip report you may also find useful though that was in 2009 when gas was more expensive than now but other things are more expensive now.
As others have mentioned, take your time going through British Columbia and Alberta as that is some of the best scenery on the trip, especially the Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper National Parks,

We used the Church book and Milepost for most of our planning as others have mentioned. I would suggest getting the Canada Annual Discovery Pass to save money while in Canada and the Alaska Toursaver Coupon Book to get two for one pricing on most of the tours you will want to take. Between the two, we saved close to a thousand dollars.

Most importantly, just take your time and enjoy it. There is so much to see you will need some down time to just relax and breathe!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Be prepared: 4 incidents that I was aware of. Met a couple in Dawson Lake that was their 19th day there. Drove over a railroad (I didn't ask how fast) blew the tires (no big deal) and bent the 5er hitch (big deal). One in Watson Lake wanted to leave a roadside decoration - one trailer axle. A tour person spend 2 weeks in Fairbands and of course the tour group waited. :SA MH in Haines could not get his Cummins fixed, he could drive somewhat - He decided to take the ferry to Vancouver Island - 800 ferry miles is $$$$, but what a fantastic diversion.

How would one prepare for those โ€œincidentsโ€? Bring a spare axle, and maybe a Cummins mechanic with? Lol.
Nice story, but I donโ€™t see the point.
Awareness of the road and slowing down would have prevented the first. Periodic inspection could have prevented the axle separation. Maybe pre trip inspections or maintanance would have helped/prevented with the last 2. Having a plan for detours, delays and additional cost is a good idea.

So, the same stuff everyone should do before and/or during any trip...Ok, weird, I didn't make the connection as Alaska specific.
Because it's not.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going to Alaska is not like going to the moon. You don't need a support group behind you but you do need to be prepared.

We have made the trip four times from the Eastern Shore, Chesapeake Bay. JMO, but you have grossly underestimated the time & distance to get there. Canada is HUGE. Alaska is relatively small. For reference, from the East Coast to Homer, Alaska, about as far as you can go, Edmonton in Alberta is only half way. Let that sink in.

There is much to see in Canada. The Canadian Rockies are more spectacular than even Colorado. There is more wildlife to be seen in Canada roadside, but you must slow down to see it.

Each trip we left the East Coast mid to end of April. Each trip we came back end of July to mid August wondering where all the time went. Each trip we did Canadian provincial parks, Yukon Government campgrounds & Alaskan Recreation Areas. Traditional CGs with full or partial hookups, were only used for water refill, dump or laundry. They are much the same as any CG in the lower 48 & really don't add to the Northern experience like the provincial parks etc. do.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the OP has a plan: couple of thoughts FWIW
- As noted, for summer / shoulder season travel, there's nothing unduly challenging about driving from L48 to Alaska. FWIW, in a 35' class A, I'd recommend planning on a fairly slow pace from Dawson Creek onward...but in years past, hundreds of Class A's come up the highway to AK; it's not a trip to Ultima Thule.
- 2022 might be more crowded than "normal", but "crowded" or not is a matter of viewpoint and always a crapshoot. If 2022 is your timeframe, that's your timeframe.
- Careful driving and a good pre-trip inspection are strong recommendations, but that's not any different just because one is going to Alaska.
- Even in the summer, it's worth (IMNSHO) traveling on the top 1/3 - 1/2 of your fuel tanks.
- Only the OP can evaluate the pro's and con's, but: it will be a slower trip pulling a toad; and a toad will be quite convenient in Alaska if one is spending more than a day or so at any particular location.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Be prepared: 4 incidents that I was aware of. Met a couple in Dawson Lake that was their 19th day there. Drove over a railroad (I didn't ask how fast) blew the tires (no big deal) and bent the 5er hitch (big deal). One in Watson Lake wanted to leave a roadside decoration - one trailer axle. A tour person spend 2 weeks in Fairbands and of course the tour group waited. :SA MH in Haines could not get his Cummins fixed, he could drive somewhat - He decided to take the ferry to Vancouver Island - 800 ferry miles is $$$$, but what a fantastic diversion.

How would one prepare for those โ€œincidentsโ€? Bring a spare axle, and maybe a Cummins mechanic with? Lol.
Awareness of the road and slowing down would have prevented the first. Periodic inspection could have prevented the axle separation. Maybe pre trip inspections or maintanance would have helped/prevented with the last 2. Having a plan for detours, delays and additional cost is a good idea.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

By making sure there's a "Plan B", allowing enough time for setbacks and accepting the fact something could go wrong.

OP, the only reservation (no pun intended) about going to AK next year would be that it will likely be a very popular destination after 2 years of basically being shut down to travelers.

Same can be said for just about anywhere. Life is short. Not enough time to worry about "it might be busy". Be prepared for crowds or travel closer to the off-season if possible.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, the only reservation (no pun intended) about going to AK next year would be that it will likely be a very popular destination after 2 years of basically being shut down to travelers.
Iโ€™d hone in on a couple years form now if you have the time to wait.
That said, itโ€™s not really any more challenge than any other trip imo as long as one isnโ€™t expecting to have the plethora of services at their fingertips like traveling in the L48.
People get weirded out by the distance between services but if you take a step back and realize that everyone that lives there does fine without a mc donalds and a quick mart on every corner itโ€™s not a big deal.