cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eagle Cap 1200 Weight on Ford F350

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know this general topic has been discussed a lot.

According to Truck Camper Magazine an EagleCap 1200 can be expected to weight roughly 6,600 pound wet that includes 500 lbs of stuff (which I think is projected on the light side personally).

My new 2021 DRW Crew Cab 4x4 F350 7.3 liter gasser has a 14K GVWR has a truck camper rating of just over 4,500 lbs and a cargo rating of 5,910 lbs. My last trip to the scales had me at 14,400 lbs.

RAW rating is 9,900 lbs and I was at 9,700, I wasn't close to reaching that limit.

I currently carry a 2013 Eagle Cap 950 on it. I live close to a very reputable spring shop called Deaver Springs and they increased my overload spring capacity so when the camper is off the ride stays the same.

My point.....ithere is no way in hades that a 350 crew cab can carry this huge triple slides.
I am NOT into aftermarket tweaks like airbags, sumo springs, Torklift stuff to McGiver the weight rating. Beefing up the springs and adding Fox shocks (when they finally come out fro this truck) is all I usually do.

It looks like a 550 chassis cab is ones only alternative with these monsters.

IMy question....finally...is anyone successfully carrying these monsters on a truck like mine?
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
egarant wrote:

I currently drive my TC at it's practical limit, 600 lbs over my GVWR.

I've never experienced any TC I've owned damage any truck bed so I don't follow, it they are mounted correctly the truck bed should be fine.

Well, that's good, especially with a heavy camper like you're already hauling.
But 2-3 tons in a truck bed does take it's toll. Plenty of damage has occurred even in rigs that the campers were properly secured.
Even our "little" AF 860 smashed down the bed corrugations a bit at the rear and dented the front of the bed (when I trusted the rubber bumpers and didnt hard block it off the front of the bed).

To your question, indirectly, I saw a big EC camper on a newer dually yesterday. Passed on the freeway so only a glance, probably a 11xx something model didn't catch a rear slide in the rearview mirror but it had a big 4' ish rear overhang.
It's one of the only campers I've seen that made a dually look a little "bent" or certainly saggy. Must have been quite heavy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
3 tons wrote:
I can’t say I disagree much with the above, but the terms “3/4 ton, and 1 ton” (a relic of the 1940’s if even before) are fairly meaningless with today’s trucks… FWIW, it may be possible were one to judiciously order just the right configuration to end up with say a so called 1 ton truck capable of carrying a 3 ton camper and still be within the 14k# limit… Point is, the terms 3/4 and 1 ton are pretty much theoretical, thus short hand for a broad range of payloads - just saying,

3 tons

Everyone understands that, or should, easily, if they have a truck. Wasn't the point of my post.

Interesting response…But begs the question, who is “Everyone”??

Thought I covered that "if they have a truck."

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
3 tons wrote:
I can’t say I disagree much with the above, but the terms “3/4 ton, and 1 ton” (a relic of the 1940’s if even before) are fairly meaningless with today’s trucks… FWIW, it may be possible were one to judiciously order just the right configuration to end up with say a so called 1 ton truck capable of carrying a 3 ton camper and still be within the 14k# limit… Point is, the terms 3/4 and 1 ton are pretty much theoretical, thus short hand for a broad range of payloads - just saying,

3 tons

Everyone understands that, or should, easily, if they have a truck. Wasn't the point of my post.

Interesting response…But begs the question, who is “Everyone”??

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
They quoted me over 2k for a new spring pack. I put a 4 link in rear only, rides like 250 unloaded and lifts back to ride height loaded. I can dump either side and drop 4”, handy for the holding tank dumps. It’s very nice on sweeping turns as it’ll inflate/deflate either side and keeps the truck level when it wants to lean over. The truck is a 15 f350 drw, camper is af 992 and I pull an enclosed trailer.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
toddb wrote:
Deaver isn’t cheap, they were about 1/2 of the kelderman. I went with air, it’ll put that 1200 at unladen height.

In my experience Deaver has always been a deal. They fabricated two 3 leaf overload spring packs, installed while I waited for $375.

So what Kelderman system did you install?
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
egarant wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
eagarant, so you know the numbers, both weights and capacities. You said you refuse to do more suspension work ( as I read your post) yet you’re asking how to haul a 3+ ton TC on a 1 ton dually.
I’m not following.
Hauling one of them on a (new or newer) class 3 dually is akin to hauling a 4000+ Lb camper on a 3/4 ton. It’s done all day long by many people. Question is can you accept driving a truck at or near its practical limits?

Another consideration is the pickup bed itself. TCs are tough on truck beds and the beds are made the same so the heavier you go, the more considerations or damage you may expect (vs a flatbed).

This appears to be a rhetorical question that you already have strong opinions about or against, so why the question?

I'm against doing nickel and dime suspension add on's, I don't believe adding a sumo spring, air bags or Torklift stable loads are the proper or safe way to increase a trucks capability.

I've never experienced any TC I've owned damage any truck bed so I don't follow, it they are mounted correctly the truck bed should be fine.

My question was and still is....is anyone actually carrying a EC 1200 triple on a F350 dually.

Agreed, that was your question, but it’s a leading question based on your first post, something like “no way in hades can a 1 ton dually haul a 1200 and I refuse to do any upgrades except Deavers.”
So to your point, I suppose this thread is merely out of curiosity and not any sort of consideration of actually hauling a 1200 with your truck.
(Which I would agree with, based on your weights with a 950, you are hauling ALOT more “stuff” than average. To be at 14,600 lbs with a gasser cc dually, you have over 6klbs worth of camper and “stuff”. Like close to 2000lbs of “stuff” beyond the wet weight of your 950. )
A 1200 with your stuff in it would be well over 7klbs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
Deaver isn’t cheap, they were about 1/2 of the kelderman. I went with air, it’ll put that 1200 at unladen height.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
eagarant, so you know the numbers, both weights and capacities. You said you refuse to do more suspension work ( as I read your post) yet you’re asking how to haul a 3+ ton TC on a 1 ton dually.
I’m not following.
Hauling one of them on a (new or newer) class 3 dually is akin to hauling a 4000+ Lb camper on a 3/4 ton. It’s done all day long by many people. Question is can you accept driving a truck at or near its practical limits?

Another consideration is the pickup bed itself. TCs are tough on truck beds and the beds are made the same so the heavier you go, the more considerations or damage you may expect (vs a flatbed).

This appears to be a rhetorical question that you already have strong opinions about or against, so why the question?

I'm against doing nickel and dime suspension add on's, I don't believe adding a sumo spring, air bags or Torklift stable loads are the proper or safe way to increase a trucks capability.

My question was and still is....is anyone actually carrying a EC 1200 triple on a F350 dually.
2013 Eagle Cap 950

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m not following.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Bigger brakes.
Heavier rear axle (the M300 axle in the F450’s isn’t the same M300 in the F350).
Wide track front axle for an amazing turning radius.
19.5” wheels and tires.”
All you need to know.:B

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
That’s why I said “if you can ignore the 14K gvwr on the F450 pickup”, because it IS bogus. It’s only purpose is to keep it a class 3 so it won’t compete with the F450 chassis cab.

Look at the components used on the F350, and compare them to the F450 pickup. There’s a reason the F450 weighs more.

But, I was just throwing it out there as an an option because you said the F550 was your only alternative. It isn’t.

And yeah, I’d like to see the 7.3L offered in the 450 pickup, as well. The 4.88 rear axle may not be the deal killer for me like it used to be, now that they have the 10 speed tranny.

:):)

Good points, thank you very much for your insight. I want to stay away from the chassis config if at all possible.

I've driven my 7.3 gas rig with the TC on it with 4.30 gears for almost 9,000 miles now I'm seeing a combined MPG of 9.7.
2013 Eagle Cap 950

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
That’s why I said “if you can ignore the 14K gvwr on the F450 pickup”, because it IS bogus. It’s only purpose is to keep it a class 3 so it won’t compete with the F450 chassis cab.

Look at the components used on the F350, and compare them to the F450 pickup. There’s a reason the F450 weighs more.

But, I was just throwing it out there as an an option because you said the F550 was your only alternative. It isn’t.

And yeah, I’d like to see the 7.3L offered in the 450 pickup, as well. The 4.88 rear axle may not be the deal killer for me like it used to be, now that they have the 10 speed tranny.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!