Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Camper carport
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper carport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

gvgeode wrote:

After losing our CalMark Sunbrella cover during a very hurried evacuation from the recent River fire I've decided to put in a concrete pad and a metal carport for our truck camper and not have to deal with getting the cover on and off, sometimes in a hurry. I wasn't able to find any forum topics on the subject of metal carports for RVs. I've found lots of companies online that sell these carports so I thought I'd reach out here and see what thoughts you might have. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Before you pull the trigger. I would get a contractor to make you a price on a "Pole" shed. I got one of those instead of the metal carport. Why/ because it was not only built better, but was also less expensive. a 13' high 16' wide, and 40'longe metal carport is going to be expensive. May as well get a better one for the same or less.

13X16X40? Big truck camper.
OP, I don't know about your area, but many places the bigger the building the more regulations you run into. A smooth floor, and fine brush finish on the driveway in front would let you offload the camper on car dollies, lower it down, and roll it into a smaller pole building.

Can get any size you want. But it would be worth the call to find out a price. Still get better for the same, or less price.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

As you said, there are lots of companies that put up car ports. So a specific mfg or contractor in your area would be a local recommendation only, likely.
Sure a pole barn would be a great idea. So would a shop, but presumably those aren’t options for you or you haven’t explored them, as that was not your question.
Issues? Properly assembled and anchored down, there are really no issues to have that I’m aware of. They last virtually forever and keep sun and the wet stuff off of what’s parked under them. That’s about it iMO.
One suggestion is don’t go cheap on the sides. Windward and or sunny sides of car ports, spring for the 3/4 or full siding.

I understand it may not have been his question. But it could be a option he hasn't thought of. I too was going to get a metal shed. Then I talked to a contractor, and he made me a better deal.
As for a shop. Now that the TT is gone. we are thinking about closing it in, and making one.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if they are National or only East Coast but I have Carolina Carport that I am very happy with. You can design as little or as much as you want. I went with heavier steel and extra tie downs to get their longterm guarantee and the peace of mind. I had 2 sides that don't show enclosed with steel and put wood siding to match the house on the 4th, front is open. Some I have seen do just hold walls so things will not blow in.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been on/off about one of those carports. I've got a 40ft 5th wheel, Bigfoot, 18ft GoDevil mud boat and a utility trailer sitting out in the Texas sun. I was thinking about running 40 or 44ft concrete runners X 24" wide to anchor it on. Probably 14ft tall. Two panels on the sides for 6ft of side sun protection. Looking at Alans Factory Outlet.com it's fairly easy to price one out. Then compare to whoever else.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan... The American carports in Tex may provide the steel for your project through Alans Factory...
The steel panels and framing is ordered by locals and the steel comes from somewhere..
Alans puts the trusses/bends the etc and produces your product...
At least that is what I went through with my 2 projects.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

gvgeode

Grass Valley, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for the good suggestions. I have one quote for a steel structure and am in process of getting a local contractor to give me a quote on a wooden one. Also getting a quote for the concrete work.

2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

harley4275

Belle River, On

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if this helps , but I put up a steel carport for the camper,no walls , I unload on the driveway and put on a utility trailer and back that camper and trailer under. I just leave it on the trailer unless I need the utility trailer for any reason. Works great and don't need 14 ft high.

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper carport
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.