cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We had to go to Kalispell....

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
to attend a funeral. Planned to arrive 5 Aug, leave 7 August.
Every campground close to town that I called was fully booked, no sites available.
EXCEPT the relatively new RV Park right on the edge of town. The one that I said I would not stay in because of the price.
Yep, "Montana Base Camp". Lots of empty spaces. It is easy to see why...
First, the price: $120/night!
Second, all sites are back-in. No pull-through sites at all.
Third, amenities, or lack thereof. No store, the office is difficult to find (it looks like just another laundry/shower building). Free laundry, though. a washer and a dryer in a little cabin with the shower facility in the other end.
Fourth, new park, so no shade. What few trees there are haven't grown enough yet.
Fifth, it is right next door to a log home building business, so that is noisy. There is also quite a bit of highway noise. We slept soundly, but I can see where some would find it terrible.

On the plus side, the single access road and all sites are paved. The sites (full hook-up) are well laid out, with lots of space. There is an emergency exit at the cul-de-sac at the end of the road. They allowed our kids to pitch a tent in our site ($27/night extra, not bad, really.). The park was easy to find. Entrance and exit is from/to a round-a-bout, so quite easy.
All in all, not a truly BAD experience, except for the price. I doubt if I will go back again.
Montana Basecamp, Kalispell, MT Good spot when there is nothing else available!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"
25 REPLIES 25

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody from Boise is planning a trip to Northwestern MT, so I will boost this up so it is easy to find
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
mikestock wrote:
The first rule in business: Charge too much and you won't make money, charge too little and you won't make money. The best rate to charge is the one that maximizes profit. Unless this campground is full when all others in the area are full he needs to adjust accordingly or learn the hard way.

While there is a sweet spot. "Chick Filet" Capacity does not equate to success. Ruth Chris does not want to set their prices such that they have a line wrapping around the building like a McDonalds.
There are profit margins. Capacity alone does not = profitablity.
You can be just as profitable at 50% capacity as you can with 100% capacity if your rates are set at a profitable level.
Low rates are not necessarily the key to success/profitabilty.

Not to say there are no other variables. There are many, of course. Free gov't money as your competition for workers is hard to predict.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Alt 93 with the traffic circle it's off from is where I went through

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28, it is hard to see from US 93. there is a goofy connector to it, and just last month in the K-Town paper, the city or county is thinking about re-doing it. An outfit from Florida came up and built it. If he was an elks Lodge member, about two miles toward K-Town, they have an RV park. We use it all the time.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I was through that intersection early June 2020 and don't remember seeing a campground. Maybe that's the reason for newness appearance

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
The first rule in business: Charge too much and you won't make money, charge too little and you won't make money. The best rate to charge is the one that maximizes profit. Unless this campground is full when all others in the area are full he needs to adjust accordingly or learn the hard way.
Apparently that park has a business plan that works for them. They were able to accommodate a last minute traveler when all the other parks were full. According to the original poster, the rate was much higher than the other parks, but he still paid because it was the only park with a vacancy that served his needs. The business plan of the park may very well be becoming the provider of last resort. The original poster said the park had no visual appeal, didn't have a lot of amenities and yet it was half full of guests who were paying double what other parks were charging. That means that park has much higher margins and lower costs than their nearby competitors. It may very well be the most profitable of all, and that is what the ownership ultimately interested in.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:

In this case the OP is comparing rates to others in different location(s) that weren't suitable to his needs.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
I was just in Montana for business a few weeks back. I couldn't find a Marriott or Hilton property for less than $350/night, and that was with advanced reservations. People coming in without reservations were paying over $500/night for a Fairfield (if there was a room available).

Supply and demand, as well as lack of available employees, at work. (The hotels were limiting capacity due to lack of staff).

Montana State Fair shot the rates up in Bozeman a few weeks ago.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mikestock wrote:

While there is a sweet spot. "Chick Filet" Capacity does not equate to success. Ruth Chris does not want to set their prices such that they have a line wrapping around the building like a McDonalds.
There are profit margins. Capacity alone does not = profitablity.
You can be just as profitable at 50% capacity as you can with 100% capacity if your rates are set at a profitable level.
Low rates are not necessarily the key to success/profitabilty.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:

My sentiments, exactly!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
A very successful friend in retail always says you can tell the price is right if the buyer is cursing the price while reaching for their wallet. It appears the park's rate was spot on.

No. I reserved and paid because I had no choice! I tried to find a lower rate near Kalispell, and there just were not any sites available. Keep in mind the park was nearly half empty! That, in itself, tells us what others thought of the rates and the park. I quite likely could have found a site at a better rate anywhere from 10 to 30 miles from town, but for that time such a distance was not acceptable.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
A very successful friend in retail always says you can tell the price is right if the buyer is cursing the price while reaching for their wallet. It appears the park's rate was spot on.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
(The hotels were limiting capacity due to lack of staff)

Kinda like hospitals now.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8