cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just Curious

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
There is a new generation of very small travel trailers apparently intended for towing by SUV's. I have watched some YT videos and have some questions:

1. Do you need to install accessory wide view mirrors on your SUV?
2. Looks like most don't come with typical built-in Onan generators, are there options for installed generators and converter/chargers and a house battery?
3.Is the toilet a typical RV flush-type connected to a fresh water pump?
4.Is it necessary to install anti-sway device on your SUV?
5.Is the fridge normally automatic for propane, 110vac camp power, or 12 vdc powered by car alternator while driving?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
It was factory - the generator and propane tank were not huge. If I come across it again, I'll post the info

Nash has generator equipped TTs.

Here's one with a genny in it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
I recently saw a small TT that had an Onan generator powered by propane installed forward on the AFrame - it was used to power the small AC unit. So yes - they do exist.

Was that factory or aftermarket? Also if your wanting to tow with an SUV putting that much weight up front seems like a bad idea since basically 100% will go to tongue weight.
It was factory - the generator and propane tank were not huge. If I come across it again, I'll post the info
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I recently saw a small TT that had an Onan generator powered by propane installed forward on the AFrame - it was used to power the small AC unit. So yes - they do exist.

Was that factory or aftermarket? Also if your wanting to tow with an SUV putting that much weight up front seems like a bad idea since basically 100% will go to tongue weight.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was getting close to retiring, I started looking at small trailers for traveling. My clipper is great for camping, but not so much for sightseeing. My requirements were:

able to tow with an suv
dedicated bed
dinette
a separate counter top that would fit the parrot's travel cage (need separation from stove)
a toilet

The escape stood out. Then a friend saw an ad for the FoldnRoll. It is perfect. The one thing I really love that no other trailer seems to have is the dedicated bunk bed. Both beds are doubles. The lower one is perfect for the dogs: A window on either side so they can watch the world; big enough for two big dogs; only about 1ft off the floor so easy for them to get in and out. Moose-dog and Bat-dog loved it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We have a 2004 Tioga 26Q Class C that fits our driveway.

I was just curious about the small TT's. We started out in the 60's with a VW Westphalia camper, moved up a Dodge Family Wagon camper van, then an old 23 foot Class C money pit and finally our 26Q. We had a lot of family fun and saw much of the US in all of our rigs, now in our 80's. Our Dodge Family Wagon was a great utility vehicle with very basic "comforts of home", we kept it for some 20 years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rexlion wrote:
It could help if you were to tell us the brand and model of trailer you're interested in. There are too many variables, depending on the mfr.

What would be even more helpful is for you to look up the brand/model on the very same internet you watched the Utoob and asked this question on.
Same for hitches mirrors and tow vehicles. You asked an impossibly vague question.
Time for a do over! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bordercollie wrote:
There is a new generation of very small travel trailers apparently intended for towing by SUV's. I have watched some YT videos and have some questions:

1. Do you need to install accessory wide view mirrors on your SUV?
2. Looks like most don't come with typical built-in Onan generators, are there options for installed generators and converter/chargers and a house battery?
3.Is the toilet a typical RV flush-type connected to a fresh water pump?
4.Is it necessary to install anti-sway device on your SUV?
5.Is the fridge normally automatic for propane, 110vac camp power, or 12 vdc powered by car alternator while driving?

Thanks!

1. Generally good to have but if the trailer is only 7ft wide, not critical. If it's the full width 8-8.5ft wide, yes, you ened them.
2. No, they generally don't come with generators but they will have charger and a house battery.
3. Toilet will be the same as most any other RV.
4. Yes, it's a good idea to get a weight distributing hitch with antisway. While the trailer is smaller, the tow vehicle is also.
5. Usually, they will be propane electric but more recently, 12v compressor fridges have become more common.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
It could help if you were to tell us the brand and model of trailer you're interested in. There are too many variables, depending on the mfr.

DITTO.

If you look at the trailer manufacturer's website, it will have answers to all your questions.

Regarding onboard generators, there's very few travel trailer manufacturers that put onboard genny in a pull behind travel trailer.
Northwood does them in their NASH models, Outdoors RV does them in the Backcountry series. I can't think of any other RV manufacturer that does onboard genny in a TT.

2500 watts is the smallest onboard genny Cummins Onan has.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a small trailer with my suv. My trailer is older and a rarity, but this is what I can share:

Definitely get tow mirrors. Even if you can see with your standard mirrors, you see so much better with tow mirrors. I just got the cheap strap on ones - I only use them when I'm towing.

You will be unlikely to be able to install a generator. There just isn't enough storage space to add one and still have room for everything else. But some manufacturers offer a solar upgrade.

Except for "all electric" models, you will get a house battery and converter/charger. Inverters may be offered as an upgrade.

From what I've seen, most hard sided trailers have a regular RV toilet with holding tanks. Folding trailers and pop ups usually have no toilet, porta potty or cassette toilet.

Anti-sway will be dependent upon actual models and equipment.

Except for "all electric" models, most come with a 2-way or 3-way fridge - it just depends on the manufacturer.

I love my FoldnRoll. It's so easy to tow with the Durango. I find I don't mind the cassette toilet as I can empty it without having to move the trailer to a dump station midtrip. The fridge is 2-way which works fine. I run it on elect before the trip and then switch to propane for the drive - I don't have to worry about changing the mode if I make a stop along the way. I can just stop and leave it on propane and not worry about running down batteries.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mirrors, bigger and wider are always better to see around the trailer, small car mirrors often do not stick out far enough or are large enough to get a view of what is going on beside or behind you. Many motorists love to drive beside you in your blind spots or hug your trailer bumper, better mirrors reduce the blind spots. So unless you love to drive blindfolded some towing mirrors will be in your future.

Very few Travel trailers are built with built in generators, trailer small enough for SUVs most definitely will not have a built in gen or even an option for a built in gen. You will need to buy your own portable gen.

CONVERTER which charges the 12V battery on the trailer and supplies 12V to the trailer while plugged into a gen or commercial power is standard built in item with modern RVs.

INVERTER which takes 12V from your trailer battery and creates 120V AC is not standard or included as an option on most Travel Trailers. If you want that, you will need to install yourself and most likely will need to upgrade the small trailer battery to a bigger battery bank setup depending on what you are planning to power.

Toilet on all but the smallest hard sided travel trailers will typically be a standard RV flush toilet with black water holding tank. Extremely small travel trailers may not have a toilet at all (Think Canned ham trailers like TAB). Not sure if many trailers are equipped with standalone cassette toilets, might see those on Popup trailers.

Very small trailers the manufacturers typically will not recommend WD and your SUV may not have a hitch designed to handle WD.

As far as friction "anti sway" devices goes, that will depend on the manufacturer recommendation and the type of hitch head you end up with, some hitch heads and trailer tongues cannot be adapted to have friction anti sway devices.

Small RVs often will have very small manual RV fridges that will require you to manually light and when shore power is available you will have to manually switch over to shore power.

You do not want a fridge to depend on your car alternator or car battery, typically RV fridges with auto change over will have a control board powered by the trailer battery. Manual change over fridges typically will not have a 12V control board.