cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Norcold code “Flame detected where not expected”

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Norcold N7XC two way refrigerator. Error code “5” ( 5 light blinks) is said to be “flame detected where none is expected.” We are seeing the fridge occasionally trip off while driving with this error code. We push the power button twice and it starts right back up. This does not seem happen when stationary and only some times when driving. We are talking to an authorized Norcold repair place and they are a bit baffled by the behavior. They expected it to trip off and stay off as they thought it indicated that the propane valve was sticking.

Dos anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Followup: Found a certified Norcold repair place. They talked to Norcold and replaced the burner assembly under warranty. So far so good .
7 REPLIES 7

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
See update on first message

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
brholt wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Well, Truck Campers are not in my line of sight. Very few of those in Texas. BUT, Your type problem is reported over the years on Truck Camper Refers. For some reason, the way Truck campers are installed in trucks causes a flame problem on various models of refers. They used to make kits(Norcold and Dometic) to stop flame out in transit in truck campers. This would have to be addressed by both Norcold and Northwood. Remember, the FL just means NO FLAME. It failed to either LIGHT or RELIGHT and the ignition process timed out after 3 tries. The other factor is, you have the refer in a slide out and you have the 2 upper and lower access doors and a normal install with no slide room, would have a roof vent. THAT may contribute to the air flow causing a flame out. Doug

Doug,

This seems to be a different problem in that the refrigerator is reporting a flame where there isn’t supposed to be one. This is not a “no flame” error

I missed your model number and your actual problem. YES, the error code means that there is a fault either in the gas valve or the control board. The NORMAL fault is the main control board and the gas valve relay on it. If the service center contacs Norcold, odds are Norcold will send a replacement rear main control board. Norcold has had problems with their control boards for the past few years. The 5 flash code for your model is a NEW code for the newer control boards. The older boards had a different 5 flash code. I would NOT operate the refer on Gas until the problem is resolved. Behind the refer from the outside access door you will see the copper line that connects to the refer. There should be a manual LP shut off there. Turn it off. Doug

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
Our Northwood TC recently started erroring out on lp mode. When I looked I saw the little blue flame but behind it there was a yellow flame throwing soot. I hope it's the infamous spider web hindering proper combustion. I know they like the water heater orifices I assume fridge no different. Doesn't look like fun to take apart as it's shrouded quite well with sheet metal.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Well, Truck Campers are not in my line of sight. Very few of those in Texas. BUT, Your type problem is reported over the years on Truck Camper Refers. For some reason, the way Truck campers are installed in trucks causes a flame problem on various models of refers. They used to make kits(Norcold and Dometic) to stop flame out in transit in truck campers. This would have to be addressed by both Norcold and Northwood. Remember, the FL just means NO FLAME. It failed to either LIGHT or RELIGHT and the ignition process timed out after 3 tries. The other factor is, you have the refer in a slide out and you have the 2 upper and lower access doors and a normal install with no slide room, would have a roof vent. THAT may contribute to the air flow causing a flame out. Doug

Doug,

This seems to be a different problem in that the refrigerator is reporting a flame where there isn’t supposed to be one. This is not a “no flame” error

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
1. Do you run the refer on AUTO? If so, then if you are connected to CG shore Power, the Refer will NEVER go to LP and have a chance to fault out. You need to select LP while camping and see if the refer stays ON.
2. In Transit would normally point to a wind blow out, but the Norcold has a 3 try relight. So, if the flame blows OUT it should relight. Unless there is enough outside air to keep from relighting in Transit.
3. The main thing is, you need to test on LP while stationary for a few days and see if it errors out. Doug

PS Refer Gas valves don't "stick" and then "unstick".

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes, in the campground I have turned off auto and run it on gas only to check to see if I would have any problem. It has run without incident for several days. Trying it again at this campsite but so far so good.

2. Yesterday we traveled for 7 hours and I stopped several times to check it. In the first hour it “kicked out” with error code “5”. Reset it and it ran for the rest of the trip. I get the possibilities of it blowing out but I don’t understand how that would create the error code I am getting.

Any other ideas?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Do you run the refer on AUTO? If so, then if you are connected to CG shore Power, the Refer will NEVER go to LP and have a chance to fault out. You need to select LP while camping and see if the refer stays ON.
2. In Transit would normally point to a wind blow out, but the Norcold has a 3 try relight. So, if the flame blows OUT it should relight. Unless there is enough outside air to keep from relighting in Transit.
3. The main thing is, you need to test on LP while stationary for a few days and see if it errors out. Doug

PS Refer Gas valves don't "stick" and then "unstick".