Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chevy V8 vs Ford V 10
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevy V8 vs Ford V 10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The only V8 that Ford has made in the past 40+ years that is "adequate" for a Class C is the new 7.3L gas engine. It has only been in production a few years.

In the last 40 years? The 7.5 EFI was produced up until 25 years ago, and was a very popular Class C engine until the intro of the Triton V10 for the 1998 model year.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I can't speak about the the new V8 that has just been put into the newest Class Cs.I have not seen many posts on them,what I have seen is that they are much quieter than the V10 under load and seem to be de tuned some for better fuel mileage.

I can however speak about a Class C V8 on Chevy Chassis.

I have a friend that has a V10 in his and we go all the same places and we seem to have about the same performance except I get a bit better fuel mileage and am not as worn out as he is after a long run fighting an ill handling rig even after all the time,money and work he put into his,following all the tips that have been brought up here on the Forum.

Like a rock!! Chevy!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am basically the opposite; typically a "Chevy Man" but purchased a brand new C in 2019 with the V10 because we knew (or thought at the time) 2019 would be the last year for the V10 (and if COVID hadn't happened it probably would have been.) I wanted the V10 because of its long-term proven reputation in class C, especially with the 6 speed. Also Ford class C outnumbered Chevy by a wide margin. My wife and I each daily-drive Tahoes, we own a 3/4T Chevy pickup, and traded in a Chevy Class C on our Ford; so we are very familiar with Chevy V8 (and still love them.) But zero regrets with the V10 in our C. 20k so far with no issues and if it's half as reliable long-term as people say we will be very happy. That all said, I have zero experience with the Chevy 8.1.

You probably can't go wrong either way, Ford V10 or Chevy. Both are well proven. The newer Ford 7.3 may be great, but I've been on this forum long enough to remember the guys bragging about their new 6.0 and 6.4 Fords.

* This post was edited 08/17/21 09:53pm by PatJ *

Patrick

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More cylinders means more pollution and more pumping losses and so poorer fuel economy for two similar displacement gas engines. There is a website carcomplaints.com that I have found very useful in the past. It provides information by model year and engine type so one can see if a particular engine had reliability issues and whether this was fixed by the manufacturer.

With my own Chevy SUV and its 3.6L V-6 engine there was a design flaw that resulted in inadequate lubrication of the timing chain and very expensive repairs. This affected this engine from its inception until 2012. Chevy supposedly fixed the problem in 2010 but this is not evident in the numbers of customers reporting repair issues with the engine.

Overall, gas engine reliability increased tremendously when the oil refineries stopped putting tetraethyl lead in gasoline to reduce pre-ignition problems. Now it is a matter of air pumps and fuel injectors and alternators and AC and seals failing or electronics and transmission problems.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

More cylinders means more pollution and more pumping losses and so poorer fuel economy for two similar displacement gas engines. There is a website carcomplaints.com that I have found very useful in the past. It provides information by model year and engine type so one can see if a particular engine had reliability issues and whether this was fixed by the manufacturer.

With my own Chevy SUV and its 3.6L V-6 engine there was a design flaw that resulted in inadequate lubrication of the timing chain and very expensive repairs. This affected this engine from its inception until 2012. Chevy supposedly fixed the problem in 2010 but this is not evident in the numbers of customers reporting repair issues with the engine.

Overall, gas engine reliability increased tremendously when the oil refineries stopped putting tetraethyl lead in gasoline to reduce pre-ignition problems. Now it is a matter of air pumps and fuel injectors and alternators and AC and seals failing or electronics and transmission problems.

I'm not sure that more cylinders means more pollution. Not counting engine conversion efficiency differences, it's probably the case that more displacement means more pollution.

* This post was edited 08/23/21 08:38pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

More cylinders means more pollution and more pumping losses and so poorer fuel economy for two similar displacement gas engines.

This is incorrect in my experience; of the three RVs I've owned in the past 25 years, my current rig is the biggest and heaviest with the largest engine and the most cylinders (V10 vs V8s.) The V10 gets by far the best mileage of my 3 despite being by far the heaviest and physically biggest rig, and being driven much harder (because it can handle it.)

There is much more to mileage and pollution than displacement or number of cylinders. I'm sure my lawn mower pollutes more than my 2019 V10 RV does.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure it is reasonable to compare engines of different ages.

There have been strides in both improved MPG and lower emissions over the years.

Said another way, comparing an older V8 with newer V8 or V10 is kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

Particularly true if you go back to the carbureted engines with 3 speed, non-locking torque converters vs modern engine/drivetrain.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The only V8 that Ford has made in the past 40+ years that is "adequate" for a Class C is the new 7.3L gas engine. It has only been in production a few years.

Mmmmkay, quite the assertion....

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy 6.6L V8 is fine, and the chassis handles so much better ...

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

jnoflane2

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm an owner of the new Ford 7.3L V8 Gasser. It is in a Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE, a little 24' Class C. Ever since we started shopping for a Class C about a year ago, I was infatuated with the new Ford V8 and wouldn't even consider anything else. After having owned it for a week now, I can report with complete satisfaction..... that engine is incredible. Zero to 60, it is nearly as fast as our FJ Cruiser and the mpg on the first 100 miles was an incredible 13.6.

Over Labor Day weekend, we will be pulling a 14' cargo trailer with motorcycles and kayaks in mountainous Colorado and I have no doubt it will do it with little effort.

[image]
[image]

* This post was edited 08/27/21 03:23pm by jnoflane2 *

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Chevy V8 vs Ford V 10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.