cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOW do I do this?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Newly full time rver...but have used our well loved rv for the past 9 years. We have our eyes on an rv in Michigan; we have home base in NY so far. Private purchase. WHERE or HOW do we register it while on the road? Michigan? South Dakota (use Ny plates until we get there from old rv). We won't be back to ny until christmas time.

Also, is there a smooth/easy way to sell our old 2005 class c jayco while on to road when it is a private purchase? The price will be cheap because we just need to move it so price is not an issue...do not need to get a lot of money for it.
Donna
27 REPLIES 27

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
@scooby
I agree thereโ€™s a problem but itโ€™s not with the people youโ€™re accusing of โ€œcheatingโ€. Itโ€™s the masses that contribute nothing and get rewarded for it.
Learn tax law before making false assertions. Based on OPs stated situation, they are under no obligation to claim the place they own a home as their primary residence. In fact, as full timers as stated, they may not be able to claim NY as primary residence or domicile.

Excuse me? Who did I accuse of "cheating"?
The way I read the thread, the OP is wanting to register a vehicle in what he wants to call his home state. My first suggestion was just take a few days, go there and register it.
Somebody else said they should register it in another state just to reduce taxes. I pointed out, if they want to enjoy the benefits of residing in a state, they should pay the taxes legally due in that state. If they want to relocate, then pay another state. (Personally, I haven't lost anything in NY that I would be likely to find if I went back)
As for the "masses that don't contribute" I have no objection to the poor that don't pay taxes as much as I do the rich that won't. And you can call it the fault of the laws, but when the rich buy the politicians to write the tax laws, there is a moral problem

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
If we come to an agreed upon price, we will go look at the motorhome. I will also contact local to that area rv dealers to see if they have any interest in consigning or buying outright and also put a listing up for the rv in that area (FB or CL) for a price that someone will want to take it off my hands for. All this before we go there to see it to know what my options are. I may have that part figured out.

The next part is the paperwork involved in getting the new rv registered SOMEWHERE. Thanks to the person who mentioned the ride from michigan to western NY state...had not thought of that option (was stuck on not going back to eastern NY state) but i am also not sure if you need an appointment to do that. We will not be in one fixed place after purchase except for maybe a very short time (days?) to get what needs to be done, done.

We mostly boondock and no longer have a home to go home to except for two of our kids driveways (OH yeah, no high ny state property tax!) and GRANDKIDS. For now we will spend summers and a month at christmas in NY, so we will keep NY state domicile. Would love to give that up but that is the place we will be in the longest at any given time. Not florida, 3 months or maybe 4 and AZ maybe a month?

Thanks so much for your voices of experience. Hubby and I look forward to our full time journey and hopefully with a newER and slightly bigger used rv.
Donna

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@scooby
I agree thereโ€™s a problem but itโ€™s not with the people youโ€™re accusing of โ€œcheatingโ€. Itโ€™s the masses that contribute nothing and get rewarded for it.
Learn tax law before making false assertions. Based on OPs stated situation, they are under no obligation to claim the place they own a home as their primary residence. In fact, as full timers as stated, they may not be able to claim NY as primary residence or domicile.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I wouldn't register it in NY. I'd find a way to register it in Arizona and save a **** load of money ever year.

Yes, everybody needs to do all they can to trump out on their taxes.

So you research all the taxes nation wide and pay based on the highest while not taking any deductions?

Nothing wrong or immoral about leaving an area with high taxes.

No, nothing immoral about leaving a area with high taxes. OTOH, the OP stated he planed to keep his home in place. He must think there is a benefit to living in that area. Most of the major problems the country is facing today can be traced back to a percentage of the population wanting to have benefits, but avoid the responsibilities. The taxes you pay is one of the responsibilities.
The register vehicle in another state to hide a asset from taxes where you live can very well be questioned on both moral and legal grounds.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I wouldn't register it in NY. I'd find a way to register it in Arizona and save a **** load of money ever year.

So you research all the taxes nation wide and pay based on the highest while not taking any deductions?

As long as you are doing it legally and completely,hewing to the laws of both new and former domicile.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

Save all that money on what? NY has no personal property or wheel tax, and the maximum annual passenger vehicle registration fee (includes motorhomes) payable every two years, is $70. There is an annual safety inspection requirement, but that's just $20 or $21 depending the weight.

Income and sales/use tax typically (property tax if you will maintain a house).

Annual registration fees are usually not the driving issue. While the testing is not particularly expensive, annual emission can result in a big cost. Also a big hassle if you are in Colorado when it comes due.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
Also, is there a smooth/easy way to sell our old 2005 class c jayco while on to road when it is a private purchase? The price will be cheap because we just need to move it so price is not an issue...do not need to get a lot of money for it.
Donna

Sell it on Consignment. Our experience was very positive.

We recently sold our Destination Travel Trailer out of state. We had it parked at a Campground in NJ (we live in GA) where we had spent a handful of summers in it. After the 2019 season, we knew we weren't going to be able to do the seasonal thing again in 2020 so we moved it out of the campground and left it at my parents that lived close by. A friend with a large enough truck towed it from the campground for us. When we realized we would not be going back to Seasonal camping in the near future, we found a RV Dealer near my parents that sold on Consignment.

I drove up to my parents to clean out whatever we left in the Trailer and confirm everything still worked. The same friend towed the Trailer to the dealership. I filled out a quick form mostly with my contact info, but also the asking price and how low we were willing to go without the dealer contacting us for confirmation. The form also listed how the consignment would work. I left a copy of the registration and a copy of the title. We let the dealer set the price, which was a lot higher than I was expecting.

After a few weeks, we got a call that a buyer had driven down from Maine to look at the Trailer and they made an offer. The salesman had been talking to the buyer the week prior to them seeing the Trailer. Later that week, we signed over the title and sent it UPS to the dealership. About 10 days later we got a check in the mail.

With the market for Used RVs as it is, even after the consignment fees, we still made more money than the TT was worth last year before the Used market went off the rails.

Now is a great time to sell.

Good luck.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

You got it bud!
Until a good chunk of my taxes donโ€™t go to support those (people and agencies) that are not self sufficient and just a drain on the system, I donโ€™t feel the need to be an over achiever in how much I donate!

PS, to all, many states exempt state sales tax on private sales between โ€œfamilyโ€ members. All Iโ€™m saying is you โ€œmightโ€ be related to the guy youโ€™re buying your used private party camper from and not even know itโ€ฆ.;)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The registration answer was posted back on the first page for those still contemplating this.
As far as selling the old one on the road, private party? No different than selling it at home unless I'm missing something. Bring title with. Clean it out, put it up for sale. If it's not a clunker and you actually will not be looking for top dollar, it will be out of your life quickly.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

Save all that money on what? NY has no personal property or wheel tax, and the maximum annual passenger vehicle registration fee (includes motorhomes) payable every two years, is $70. There is an annual safety inspection requirement, but that's just $20 or $21 depending the weight.

NY has some wicked property taxes,but very low registration fees. Your tax is going to be the rate in the county you register in, usually around 8%. You pay this once,when you initially title the vehicle in NY,not to be taxed again until sold.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-register-vehicle-when-you-are-out-state

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes it is best to get the help of a dealer
Start in your case by talking to the NY Vehicles folks (DMV?) They may be able to get you a "Temp" registration fairly quikcly posibbly even a downloadable document, once you buy the RV.. So might Michigan Department of State (Secretary of States's office),, alas interstate purchase is a bit above my pay grade.

Michigan does give you 3 days to get it to either A: home or B: License plate place. You must have insurance however.

A dealer can get you temp registration as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The OP had posted previously about going fulltime and changing Domicile to SD anyway, IF that is still the long term plan, I would make the jump now, while they are already halfway there, and they can change out the Drivers lic and everything else at the same time.
If they are NOT planning on the shift in the near future, go back to NY and pay up.