Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbrem or Sumos on F150

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with these two systems?

I installed the Timbren SES in a 2021 F150 4x4. Drove 600 miles and it was a jarring experience. I left a 1 inch gap.

Going over bridge joints or small potholes on the road wasn't pleasant. Truck was towing 7500lbs load trailer.

One benefit was less bouncing. Truck was leveled even though I expected rear to be 1-1 1/2 inch higher.

Would Sumos give a smoother ride?
Anything that can be done with the Timbren to soften the blows?

MC
12 REPLIES 12

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
Hi Dan, did you go with the blues (1000lbs) or black Sumos (1500)?

We are towing 7500 lbs. It sounds like the blues are softer and may be easier over bumps.

BTW, the gap doesn't create the slam effect when towing as the rubber is in full contact and compress. I think it is the hardness of the rubber in the Timbren that causes the jarring effect.

MC

I went with the blue ones since I have plenty of payload capacity but wanted to help with the small amount of rear sag.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I have the black Sumos on my F150 with a 1โ€ gap. It rides like stock when unloaded and drops 2โ€ when towing the 5th wheel. Would definitely buy again.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
IMO, leaving the gap creates the SLAM effect. When I used something similar with my cabover camper, I had the block just barely engaged with the spring.

When fully loaded, the gap goes away before you hit the road, so it's already carrying some weight and generally not slamming with either option.

When running empty, they engage only when you hit a bump (ie: the gap is used up):
- Timbrens apply full resistance as soon as they touch. X lbs/inch of compression.
- Sumo gradually increases resistance after they touch Y lbs/inch/inch

So all else being equal, the sumo will apply far less for the first inch of compression but will quickly ramp up as compression increases creating a smoother feel as they engage.

If you take away the gap with Timbrens while running empty, it will give a rough (but not slamming) ride as the resistance is enough in that they lift the empty bed rather than compress the springs & timbrens.

Airbags get around this by adjusting the pressure to the load but they are more complex and prone to failure.

Yes, no gap when loaded should be the idea, not running empty.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Super_Dave wrote:
IMO, leaving the gap creates the SLAM effect. When I used something similar with my cabover camper, I had the block just barely engaged with the spring.

When fully loaded, the gap goes away before you hit the road, so it's already carrying some weight and generally not slamming with either option.

When running empty, they engage only when you hit a bump (ie: the gap is used up):
- Timbrens apply full resistance as soon as they touch. X lbs/inch of compression.
- Sumo gradually increases resistance after they touch Y lbs/inch/inch

So all else being equal, the sumo will apply far less for the first inch of compression but will quickly ramp up as compression increases creating a smoother feel as they engage.

If you take away the gap with Timbrens while running empty, it will give a rough (but not slamming) ride as the resistance is enough in that they lift the empty bed rather than compress the springs & timbrens.

Airbags get around this by adjusting the pressure to the load but they are more complex and prone to failure.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Dan, did you go with the blues (1000lbs) or black Sumos (1500)?

We are towing 7500 lbs. It sounds like the blues are softer and may be easier over bumps.

BTW, the gap doesn't create the slam effect when towing as the rubber is in full contact and compress. I think it is the hardness of the rubber in the Timbren that causes the jarring effect.

MC

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
I love my SumoSprings on my F150! I chose them because of the more modern microcellular urethane material, over old tech hard rubber.
They work as advertised.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went with Hellwig overload springs. Had them on my 97 F150 and got them for the 13 F150. Yeah, they firm up the ride a tad, but for the better IMO and still better than stock and rides better than the wife's 2003 Rav4!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
I had Timbrens and HATED them. Go with air bags and donโ€™t look back.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Sumo better ride empty

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Haven't tried Timbren but put a set of Sumo on our F250 and seems to work well...no jarring. They are set with about a 1 inch gap.

They are progressive, so the initial compression doesn't apply much force but as they compress the force increases faster than the compression.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I also used Timbrens on my Ram 1500... for about 250 miles. Way too jarring. Sumo Springs offers a couple different densities. The lower density one sounds promising if you don't need extreme support. I don't have hands on experience though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE