cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tunnels, bridges & hair pin turns

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading out to the badlands for the first time and heard about some of the roads, tunnels, etc and their limitations. We have a 26'Class C and am trying to find routes we can take. Is there a web site we can get this info. Rather not leave it up to the GPS when we get there, but rather know what to expect before hand.
So, looking for websites, etc to help with routing.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
12 REPLIES 12

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
All states post the locations where there are clearance problems as they want truckers to have this information. ...

It took a bit of digging to find this:

https://sdtruckinfo.sd.gov/docs/Vertical_Clear_List.pdf

The Custer State Park map shows the same tunnel information, plus widths.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
First off, OK Custer SP. and/or where ever. My quest is to find a way to put in parameters to google maps, or such a site/app, easily to help define a decent/safe route without retracing steps.
Guess what I'm saying is, is there a way to put such parameters into google maps, or similar, to avoid those hazards?

The Co Pilot app will have you set the parameters and then map your route to meet those requirements. They include height, width, and length as well as letting you tell it to avoid certain other things like toll roads, 2 lane roads etc. Try the app, the first two weeks are free, so download right before your trip. And if you like it, its only about $25 to buy.
co pilot
scroll down to the RV version

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
All states post the locations where there are clearance problems as they want truckers to have this information. In terms of turns the route guidance with the Garmin 780 RV Trucker GPS works very well. You input the length of your vehicle and the length of the trailer and it routes you accordingly.

I prefer the Garmin which I mount on the windshield at the lower left corner to using the navigation in the dash. Much easier to monitor the GPS above the dash and I do not need to take my eyes of the road nearly as long.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The respective park pages should tell you all you need. Except for the Black Hills themselves, South Dakota is flat prairie, and all state and federal numbered highways should be just fine.

https://www.nps.gov/badl/planyourvisit/directions.htm

The Badlands is an eroded river valley(s), and all sightseeing is from overlooks along the rim. The parks page describes one paved rim road, and a couple of gravel alternatives. You can also enquire at the the visitor center.

https://gfp.sd.gov/csp-scenic-drives/

Custer has some scenic drives with tunnels - those dimensions are given on this park page.

https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/custer-map.pdf

The park map shows tunnels in the surrounding area, including a few on the drive toward Rushmore.

Parks also have visitor guides (often large format newspaper like ones) with maps and road information. These can also be found online.

https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/tatanka_2021.pdf

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off, OK Custer SP. and/or where ever. My quest is to find a way to put in parameters to google maps, or such a site/app, easily to help define a decent/safe route without retracing steps.
Guess what I'm saying is, is there a way to put such parameters into google maps, or similar, to avoid those hazards?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that link, RickLight! I bookmarked it!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were in both the Black Hills and Badlands NP a few weeks ago. We used the Visitor's Bureau free map extensively. The whole area is very well signed!
"Don't Pet the Fuzzy Cows!"

While there we saw many 40' Class A on the main road loop in Badlands. I'd rather not take my 30' trailer but it's not impossible.

The Black Hills area has 3 roads that are not for anything of any size. They are fantastic scenic roads that are very well signed and far from necessary. 8 - 9' wide and 8 - 11' tall tunnels are far worse than the tight corners and 'pig tail' overpasses, even in my pickup. Bypass the Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, and Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway and you will have a great time!

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/2737-needles-eye.html
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
You will have tunnels, hairpins, etc in Custer State Park, not Badlands.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Heading out to the badlands for the first time and heard about some of the roads, tunnels, etc and their limitations. We have a 26'Class C and am trying to find routes we can take. Is there a web site we can get this info. Rather not leave it up to the GPS when we get there, but rather know what to expect before hand.
So, looking for websites, etc to help with routing.

thanks

where in the "badlands"?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying this one lately, seems ok so far
co pilot
Downloadable on your phone from the playstore or App store

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Trip Wizard lets you input the size and weight of your unit and then only plots routes safe for that RV.

Frankly I found the Truckers Atlas to be less than uhelpful.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
A trucker's Atlas is something you should have for your travels.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew