Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 to 30 amp dog bone

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

Anyone use a 50mp to 30 amp dog bone for their RV? In some parks if there are many campers plugged into the 30amp service, would it be acceptable to use to dog bone with a camper with a 30 amp power? I heard of people doing this but just wondering how safe it is.

Thanks,

Deano
18 REPLIES 18

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I only carry one 50 to 30 amp adapter, I know of individuals that carry 2, each with the 30 amp side wired to a different leg of the 50 amp side. They check to see which side provides higher voltage.

While both the 50 amp & 30 amp receptacles are connected to the same wiring to the pedestal, depending on how well the campground planed the balancing of the 30 amp receptacles throughout the park, one leg may well have a higher load lower voltage), particularly if there are mostly 30 amp users.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it frequently, no problem.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
If your concern in voltage drop in the campground, switching to the 50 Amp connection will not change anything. Both the 30 and 50 amp connections run off the same service wires. There isn't a set of wires feeding the 30 amp connections and a separate set feeding the 50. What you might gain is a more solid breaker (the 50 isn't flipped off and on as much as the 30) and, as others have said, the fifty plug itself is generally not as worn as the 30. But then again, the 30 amp breakers and 30 amp plugs get changed more frequently during repairs and maintenance exactly for the reason they get more wear and tear, so you might find a 30 in new condition and the corresponding 50 worn.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Deano_1 wrote:
I want to by a surge protection. Would I put a 30 amp protector โ€œafter โ€œ the dog bone?
YES

Rather than just surge suppression, get an EMS, this will run a check on the power from the pedestal before allowing it to be passed to your unit. Then it will constantly monitor it and shut down if it goes out of spec.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Deano_1 wrote:
I want to by a surge protection. Would I put a 30 amp protector โ€œafter โ€œ the dog bone?
YES

Again, yes!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
At my house under my port, I only have a 50amp which was fine for the Phaeton. But the Phaeton is sold and I am using that same plug in on my B+ which is only 30 amp. I use a dog bone and it works fine. I do sometimes run the air, but still limit my total to under 30 amps.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deano_1 wrote:
YES

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to spend any money on a surge protector spend some more and get an EMS. That's true protection from more than just a surge. Progressive Industries, Hughes WatchDog, or Southwire are all rated well. Post, dogbone,(autoformer if you have one)EMS,RV is the order I do mine.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadpilot wrote:
I use one all the time because the 50 plugs are usually in better shape than the well used 30 amp plugs. You can't overload anything by doing this. It's like to plugging a shaver into a 20 amp outlet.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I will invest in one of these soon. One more question on this topic. I want to by a surge protection. Would I put a 30 amp protector โ€œafter โ€œ the dog bone?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Simple answer. No problem using that adapter. Your 30 amp RV is protected by its internal 30 amp breaker.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the plug that looks the least usedโ€ฆusually the 50โ€ฆwhen in a rare campground with electricity. I check polarity every time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carried a full set. Some parks there is an issue with the 30 amp outlets and the plug on some RV's (Seen it) so we hooked the RVer to the 50 amp outlet. via ye old bone. I've hooked 50 amp RV's into 30 amp sockets same way

Some folks yammer about how the 30 amp cord can't take 50 amps.

Well for hours on end yes. for the time it takes the 50 amp breaker to trip should somehthing short out.. No problem
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
The typical 50 to 30 dog-bone only uses one of the hot wires available in the 50 supply. It will be perfectly fine. I have taken apart some which had been damaged to put on new ends. They were all wired this way.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI