cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016-2021 with Island Kitchen floor plans

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Husband and I are getting ready to sell our older TT and move to a 2016-2021 5th Wheel.

I have been internet shopping floor plans.

I like the Island Kitchen floor plans but am concerned if you can access the refrigerator when the units slides are in.

Can you share with me your experiences of rigs?

Thank you,
Denise
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!
21 REPLIES 21

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
We have a Grand Design Solitude 369RL with island and pantry and can get to the refrigerator with the slides in. In addition, this is the best trailer and Grand Design offers the best service we have ever had. Good luck. Hope you find a good one.

Thank you for sharing your information.

I am quickly learning that with the Island Kitchen, the link anger the 5th Wheel the easier the access to the refrigerator.
We would like to stay in the 34 ft. range, so if correct we will probably end up where you can only access 1/2 the fridge. This will be fine.

I have been hearing a lot of positive with the Grand Design.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design Solitude 369RL with island and pantry and can get to the refrigerator with the slides in. In addition, this is the best trailer and Grand Design offers the best service we have ever had. Good luck. Hope you find a good one.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Ours has a side by side Whirlpool fridge. We can't access the freezer side with the slide in but no problem with the fridge side. The bathroom was more important to us especially with the current state of affairs. Most everything we looked at had total access without opening any slides so I think that part is fairly common.

Thank you. I am beginning to see that this is common. This appears to be the case for units at 34ft or shorter, which is what we would like to stay at.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
Ours has a side by side Whirlpool fridge. We can't access the freezer side with the slide in but no problem with the fridge side. The bathroom was more important to us especially with the current state of affairs. Most everything we looked at had total access without opening any slides so I think that part is fairly common.

Agreed the bathroom access is the most important feature.....even before the current state of affairs ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have to tell you that my husband and I had our TT for about 3 years, when we always stopped at rest stops....then one day we said this is ridiculous. Why have a toilet following us and we did not use it except for being in a campsite....that was 13 years ago. We now travel and keep a gallon bottle of water in the bathroom and use the toilet when ever. We now only stop at a rest stop to stretch the legs, walk the dog or to make a lunch.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
We have a 2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS with a kitchen island. Unfortunately, we cannot access the refrigerator without opening the slide. If only they had made the island about 4 inches shorter...

This seems to be a common problem.
Someone had suggested that they bought their unit with no island kitchen and added their own little island with one of the movable units you can buy :C

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Love having the island in the in our CC 29RW. We have a 2 door residential fridge and the island inhibits the left side and the bottom drawer freezer from being opened with the slide in. However, we can open the right side door to the fridge and get to most of what we need without putting out the slide. Sandwiches, drinks etc, We put in the right side and grab them at a rest stop with no issues.

Thank you for sharing this information.
All we want to do is to be able to grab a snack or put a few items in that we have stopped to purchase for the drive.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
OldF**t wrote:
Also with the GD 303RLS you can access the bathroom without opening any slides. Important for some folks.

No doubt this is one of the most important features ๐Ÿ˜‰

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS with a kitchen island. Unfortunately, we cannot access the refrigerator without opening the slide. If only they had made the island about 4 inches shorter...

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
2halfs wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
This one you can access the fridge.
https://www.couchsrvnation.com/forest-river/fifth-wheel/cedar-creek/311rl156

Thank you for letting me know. The floor plan of your unit is one that I really like. This floor plan is also offered in the Grand Design manufactures. I will keep in mind what you have said.
Then you should take a look at Grand Design 337RLS. Same rear footprint as the 303 RLS, but the front bed/bath are larger - east/west bed and walk in closet with WD hookups.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you can get to the potty & half of the refrigerator with slides in, all is good.

The fridge is no real big deal since most pack a day cooler to carry in the truck.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Love having the island in the in our CC 29RW. We have a 2 door residential fridge and the island inhibits the left side and the bottom drawer freezer from being opened with the slide in. However, we can open the right side door to the fridge and get to most of what we need without putting out the slide. Sandwiches, drinks etc, We put in the right side and grab them at a rest stop with no issues.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
Also with the GD 303RLS you can access the bathroom without opening any slides. Important for some folks.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Like Riddlers and FTG's RV's we also can open right side of fridge/freezer w/ slides in on our Big Country.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"