Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracked rim on 2007 2500hd classic

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Just sharing.

During pre-trip inspection my son and I found this cracked rim on my truck. It was a surprise and was even more surprised to see the weight rating on the back of the rim.

This is off a 2007 Chevrolet 2500hd classic. Camper is a Lance 845.

I had no known impacts that would cause it. Of course something did cause it.

What really surprised me was the weight rating on a factory 3/4 ton wheel. At 2200 lbs each, the wheels are not rated to even handle the rear axle rating. (edited to add that perhaps the extra wheel I purchased was a knockoff that was sold as a factory original)

I'll be getting new wheels, but thought I would share. Perhaps this thread helps someone else to see a potential risk or avoid a potential issue.

I feel blessed we found it at home and there was no catastrophic event.

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
55 REPLIES 55

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Naw I'm talking about all the "advice" given in this forum to put LT E-rated truck tires on half ton rims and pumping them up to 80PSI on a rim rated for 44PSI.

I guess I missed “all” of those posts.

You n me both, lol!
But what's really funny is (I quoted mkirsch's sig line) "Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four."

Ole boy don't really know whether he's afoot or horseback....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Naw I'm talking about all the "advice" given in this forum to put LT E-rated truck tires on half ton rims and pumping them up to 80PSI on a rim rated for 44PSI.

I guess I missed “all” of those posts.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@silverbullet, yes thank you for following up and the confirmation that it was a cheap re-pop wheel , not OE.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for getting back with the results . Good luck in the future .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
I thought rim ratings didn't matter, rims never break...

Naw, you seem to be confusing adding 200 lbs past a wheel rating with 1500 lbs.

There's no point to putting an LT tire on if you are not going to air it up. At "half ton" pressures (i.e. 44PSI and under) the tire has no more load carrying capacity than the stock P-metric tires.

Like the rest of the last couple pages of nonsense, I'd be super interested to see evidence of such a low pressure rating on "1/2 ton truck" rims. Same goes for light trailer wheels, 14 and 15 inchers.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Just to wrap this thread up.

I checked another wheel on the truck and it has the stampings on the front and the GM logo stamped on the wheel. I surmise that the wheel I was sold as an original was obviously not an original or GM OEM wheel. It was sold under false pretense and I didn't inspect it closely enough when purchased. Nothing I can do about it now.

We got INSANELY lucky that we didn't have a catastrophic failure at speed, either front or back. In this case this was on the back.

I share all this with the hope that people pay attention, don't make the same mistake I did and keep an eye on their trucks for signs of issues.

The upside is that I no longer feel the need to replace all my wheels.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
I thought rim ratings didn't matter, rims never break...

Naw, you seem to be confusing adding 200 lbs past a wheel rating with 1500 lbs.

There's no point to putting an LT tire on if you are not going to air it up. At "half ton" pressures (i.e. 44PSI and under) the tire has no more load carrying capacity than the stock P-metric tires.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Steel by definition is an alloy. Pure iron is not steel.

Aluminum also is always an alloy.

While there is some variability in how ductile or malleable they are, as a rule, they follow a pattern, so a crack doesn't imply an alloy or production method. Most likely it was how the force was applied.

Aluminum is an element.

If you are talking a skeg made by only a few boat manufacturers, it problably is a very specific alloy. If you are talking about other types of Aluminum alloy treated or annealed to different hardnesses, the breakage can look a lot different. Sometimes a break, but depending on how soft, how it’s made, cast or forged, and the breakage can vary alot.

Look at this guys article that is a decent writeup on Aluminum alloys, so you don’t have to take my word for it. Not saying it covers everything, but he does explain the differences in Aluminum alloys, and some of the differences. They don’t all break/bend the same.

https://www.shapesbyhydro.com/en/material-properties/here-are-the-best-aluminium-alloys-for-bending...

I’m not aware of anyone who has the unique ability to specify a certain alloy for his wheels, AFAIK, the choice amounts to either cast or forged, and sometimes even this can be difficult to determine…

3 tons

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Pure aluminium if extremely soft material. Used on old-fashioned tee kettles, who would dent by dropping table spoon on them.
Last year I bought patio boat with damaged ponton and after replacing it, used old pontoon as cover for my pool slide.
Cut it along and peeled open, where the bottom had 3 ft long dent on it.
I walk my 220 lb over the dent, jump on it and even it flexed slightly - it would not bend back. The thing is build with aircraft-quality aluminium alloy.
Some military grade aluminium alloys can be stronger than steel.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

While there is some variability in how ductile or malleable they are, as a rule, they follow a pattern, so a crack doesn't imply an alloy or production method. Most likely it was how the force was applied.

Aluminum is an element.

If you are talking a skeg made by only a few boat manufacturers, it problably is a very specific alloy. If you are talking about other types of Aluminum alloy treated or annealed to different hardnesses, the breakage can look a lot different. Sometimes a break, but depending on how soft, how it’s made, cast or forged, and the breakage can vary alot.

Look at this guys article that is a decent writeup on Aluminum alloys, so you don’t have to take my word for it. Not saying it covers everything, but he does explain the differences in Aluminum alloys, and some of the differences. They don’t all break/bend the same.

https://www.shapesbyhydro.com/en/material-properties/here-are-the-best-aluminium-alloys-for-bending...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Aluminum is malleable but not ductile.
Steel is both malleable and ductile.

Of course, “aluminum” wheels are usually alloys of different metals and some are cast and some are not.

Steel can also vary.

Both can vary in hardness and construction method and amount of impurities.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Aluminum is malleable but not ductile.
Steel is both malleable and ductile.

Of course, “aluminum” wheels are usually alloys of different metals and some are cast and some are not.

Steel can also vary.

Both can vary in hardness and construction method and amount of impurities.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:

An original OEM GM PYO aluminum wheel has everything printed under the center cap , no need to pull the wheel just remove the cap .

Good to know.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
silverbullet555 wrote:

No! The OP here, me, had a wheel crack. The wheels on the truck are factory original the best of my knowledge. However, I DID buy an extra wheel that was supposed to be a factory GM wheel. It is entirely possible I was sold an inferior product and that is what is cracked. I'll find out this weekend when I pull another wheel off the truck and when I check my second set of wheels in storage.

I hope the others are good so you only have to buy one replacement.

Me too
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch