cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tent Trailer Set Up Question

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
Decades ago we owned a tent trailer and greatly enjoyed using it. Eventually we moved on and finally got a Class C Bigfoot. Lately my wife and I have been thinking about selling the C and returning to a tent trailer. However, we are both approaching 80 and are concerned if the tasking of pulling out the beds and hooking up their supports is still as difficult as we remember. If it is then we are unlikely to go that route. Have they found a new, EASY way to do this? If so which make and model would have the new system? Looking for a high sided model with wet bath. Thanks for any info.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton
9 REPLIES 9

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
Have you considered something such as the Winnebago Travato? DW and I have discussed what we would consider when we feel we need to downsize. Just yesterday, I got to see a fellow camper's Travato and it really looks quite nice with a full wet bath in the rear, two twin beds that can convert into a king, nice galley and creative use of tables for use with the two captains' chairs. If I went with that, I'd have one of the nice popup style screen rooms to use (along with the awning on the camper. It's small enough to drive around like a pickup truck and no hitch to worry about.

We had tent campers when we started out and I wouldn't want to go back to dealing with bunkends and rain and having to dry them out. Before that, I agree with looking at a smaller travel trailer. Or, look at some of the class B rigs.

Good luck in your search, and stay healthy!

That Van only has a interior height of 6'3". That's not tall enough for many to stand up comfortably especially with AC, antenna's and such mounted into the roof.

My Pop Up is pretty easy to handle. A lot easier than handling the 80 lbs Weight Distributing hitch I needed for my previous 29' bunkhouse TT.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered something such as the Winnebago Travato? DW and I have discussed what we would consider when we feel we need to downsize. Just yesterday, I got to see a fellow camper's Travato and it really looks quite nice with a full wet bath in the rear, two twin beds that can convert into a king, nice galley and creative use of tables for use with the two captains' chairs. If I went with that, I'd have one of the nice popup style screen rooms to use (along with the awning on the camper. It's small enough to drive around like a pickup truck and no hitch to worry about.

We had tent campers when we started out and I wouldn't want to go back to dealing with bunkends and rain and having to dry them out. Before that, I agree with looking at a smaller travel trailer. Or, look at some of the class B rigs.

Good luck in your search, and stay healthy!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Y wrote:
Decades ago we owned a tent trailer and greatly enjoyed using it. Eventually we moved on and finally got a Class C Bigfoot. Lately my wife and I have been thinking about selling the C and returning to a tent trailer. However, we are both approaching 80 and are concerned if the tasking of pulling out the beds and hooking up their supports is still as difficult as we remember. If it is then we are unlikely to go that route. Have they found a new, EASY way to do this? If so which make and model would have the new system? Looking for a high sided model with wet bath. Thanks for any info.

No different today except maybe a powered roofs, stab jacks powered by a drill, and powered tongue jack on only the biggest.

IMO, pulling out and pushing in beds in no easier and maybe harder with bigger beds.

If you're 80 and in good enough health to be camping, maybe a smaller travel trailer like an R-Pod would help you enjoy it even more.

The R-Pod campers have great floorplans and I would look at one my myself.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you really feel the need for soft, canvas-like sides but don't want the pullouts, you might look for a used Palomino Basecamp 14ULC. No wet bath though, just a toilet.

If you just want something smaller, maybe you'd like an Escape (factory direct from Chilliwack BC) or Scamp or Casita.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
โ€˜Approaching 80โ€™, Iโ€™m 73 and I really appreciate that Thetford Aqua Magic, especially at 3am. Just my thoughts.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
I would skip any folding camper and get yourself a smaller TT. Even the a frames have to be lifted and set up. Most of the older people go this route. Or they ask about the battery lifts and such, then end up taking off the lifts because there unreliable. Pop ups are basicly built the same as there were in the past, maybe worse. Look at the TTs. Have fun.

This will depend on TV. My V6 pulls the pop up with no issues. And I have pulled at about 90% over my rating, low load on car trailer. No issues. But a full height TT loads me pretty good.

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider an Aliner... it's hard-sided and as close to "push-button" operation as a pop-up tent trailer can get. We're seriously looking for one to replace our old Viking.

https://aliner.com/aliner-campers/
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip any folding camper and get yourself a smaller TT. Even the a frames have to be lifted and set up. Most of the older people go this route. Or they ask about the battery lifts and such, then end up taking off the lifts because there unreliable. Pop ups are basicly built the same as there were in the past, maybe worse. Look at the TTs. Have fun.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know of any change in the design change that would make bunk slide out easier. OTOH, other than gripping it without smashing fingers, it is not hard to slide the bunks on my mid '90s Starcraft.
Now we camp by our camper, not in it. But when the weather is bad we can set wife's sewing machine, and my folding chair inside. If I was in the market for my camping style, I would look at the A-frame style. I don't think much force is involved in set-up.