Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WARNING: Weather Home App

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
"Weather Home"

This app takes over your phone and it is difficult to uninstall.

This is true for Android systems. My wife has an IPhone and we did not try it, but I wouldn't.

It completely reconfigured my apps and I could not get to my Home page. It stays live on your phone full time. Seemed to have good data but it had to be eating resources. I think it is very risky.

I finally got to a website that gave me instructions to remove it.

I am not an IT guy and would like to hear any other comments related to this
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I find that our local TV stations weather apps are trustworthy and usually give more pointed advice when it comes to urgent situations. They all come with advertising, though.

MrWizard
Mike thank you
I haven't used that app and never will
We need to stay alert for things that alter the way our smart devices operate
I get the weather report from google
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very satisfied with the "NOAA Weather Unofficial" Android app for several years now. There's a free version, but the additional features and lack of ads in the pro version are well worth the small one time cost.

NOAA Weather Unofficial (Pro)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think my phone came with a default app for the weather. May need to find it some day. Mostly I just look out the window or step outside to make my own report. The less I have on my phone the better.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot or well known weather apps that bother the (@Q#*$R@ out of my Anti Malware software..

There are a few however that seem to play nice
Go to the app store and type NOAA
might as well get your weather from the folks who supply the data to everyone else.
NOTE: Depending on time, and location. You might be getting weather from.. ME!
(One of the public services we ham radio operators provide is TAKE SHELTER warnings)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,

I want to thank you for the clear and specific warning.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I've found on "Weather Home"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Googled the Weather Home app and got page after page of hits talking about how malicious the app is. The techies stop short of calling it a virus, but it's a definitely do-not-install app. You might consider checking stuff out before you install it.

I have used Weather Underground for years - as does my son-in-law who is a pilot for one of the major airlines. It's a good, streamlined app that does not harm your phone or setup. It uses NWS data as well as other reliable sources. There are professional meteorologists involved in managing the information and WU has very accurate condition reporting and forecasts. (I have no affiliation with WU.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015