cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New, Just beginning process

SuttonKS
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Empty nesters looking into first traveler trailer purchase and already overwhelmed. Is there a really good resource/guidebook to navigate through all the brands, models, best/worst years, reviews, costs, etc?
We know what we can pull, what we can spend, will buy a model a few years old, and have used NADA but it takes a lot just to figure out if one for sale is decent or not. Just looking to streamline/simplify a little bit. Looked around the forum a little and not sure where to start. TYIA if you reply or point us to a place to start!
43 REPLIES 43

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I definitely think region and terrain have a big factor in finding campsites. In the Sierras, I think it's far more difficult to find public campsites to fit larger rigs than it would be in the midwest.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shrug, booked a 2 week trip on July 30th for the 2nd and 3rd week of August, had no issue finding spots in the areas I wanted to be in on the days I wanted to be there. If you're trying to book last minute for the big summer 3 holiday weekends good luck but otherwise I've found that as long as I don't need full hookups I have little trouble finding a spot. Perhaps it's because Ohio, PA, and Michigan have SO many state and local campgrounds?
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
afidel wrote:

1)At 35' you fit into at least some sites at 85% of state and national parks. While 18-20' gives you more options I have no problems finding sites to fit my current 34' rig.

Theoretical capacity and available capacity are two entirely different things.

Nowadays, most state and national parks are swamped with campers.

You may find a site capable of accommodating a 34' rig if you're willing to book it 2 months in advance - but forget about getting a site any time within the next week.

Meanwhile, the tent/small RV sites in those same campgrounds are 60-80% full during busy weekends, and 10-30% full on weekdays.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timmo! wrote:
As a child I spent summers with my grandparents touring America in their Airstream towed by their Cadillac. After decades of tent camping, my father-in-law lent us his truck camper for many summers and I caught the RV bug (bye bye tents). Looking to purchase, we rented Class C motorhomes (CruiseAmerica) and wifey did not like the idea of busting up the camp to drive around. I found myself back to where I started: travel trailers.

My $0.02
1. Rig length. Many campsites at state and national parks have a max length limit of 20' or so. Yes there may be a limited number of "pull through" sites, but not at all campgrounds.
2. Tank sizes. Smaller the tanks can be limiting. Airstreams had small tanks so...sorry grandpa.
3. Insulation. It was a warm day when we went TT shopping and were attracted to the Nash line--as they were the coolest inside. Research revealed they used higher rated insulation.
4. Underside. Covered, open, insulated, heated? Some TT are naked, leaving wires and lines exposed. Some are covered but not insulated, and some are deluxe with heat option.

In my instance, the Nash was 20', had large tanks, insulated and had a covered underside.

1)At 35' you fit into at least some sites at 85% of state and national parks. While 18-20' gives you more options I have no problems finding sites to fit my current 34' rig.
2)Agreed 100%, being self sufficient for a long weekend gives you a lot more site options, especially if you like state parks where sewer hookups are a rarity.
3) You really pay for high insulation not in dollars and pounds, wouldn't be my priority for a first trailer.
4)Really only matters if you're in the north and want to use onboard facilities outside the shoulder season, for me I'm good with using a bathhouse on the rare occasion I go out camping when it's going to be a hard freeze overnight.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my first trailer it was a situation where I just wanted one. No prior experience and just jumped in and bought a 24 ft. Autumn Ridge. It was a good learning unit but not the most comfortable, but it did serve the purpose for nearly 2 years. Then we went up to a 30 Coleman with a slide and more comfort....but still not the comfort level we wanted...it served us for another 2 years. Now we have a 37 ft. beast with 3 slides, a 10K GVWR and I pull it with a 2500HD GMC just fine.

Point being is how do you intend to use your trailer? Long trip of 3 weeks or more? or just weekend jaunts not too far from home? That's what you have to figure out...how comfortable do you want to be? It matters. BIG TIME MATTERS.

Really, you want a floor plan that works for YOU. How you cook, how you sleep, how you relax....it has to fit you and your lifestyle. As far as what maker is better than others? Most are very close to being the same depending what line or model you are looking at. They all have entry level lines and then mid-range lines and then their top line levels. You might want to look for a private seller but then if you do take someone who is knowledgeable about trailers so you have a second set of eyes to look for issues.

This is totally a learning process. This will not be your last trailer. You will learn what you need and learn what you don't need...after you already bought it too. It is not rocket science. You will learn and get comfortable at doing things.

My only advice is when you pick out the trailer find out the tongue weight and get a hitch that is greater than that number. My tongue weight is 1280. My dealer set me up with a 1000/10,000 lb. hitch and it was too weak. I went to a 1,400/14,000 Equal-izer brand hitch and it made a night and day difference in stability. The hitch is the most important factor in towing.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
When you say "used".... Just how used do you mean?

When I bought my first one back in 1991, it was a 1975 Prowler.
Looking at TTs of that age, it quickly became obvious that "condition, condition, condition was the single most important concern.
I must have walked away from over 50 units shaking my head. When I found the one we bought, it was obvious immeadiatly that it was the "one". Had to go over my 2000.00 budget by 300.00 to seal the deal, but it was worth it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

OEUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow empty nesters here. We recently wrote an article on buying a new RV, our experience, some tips and the choice we made for the perfect couples travel trailer. Please read it, I think it will be very helpful.
https://outdoorexplorerusa.com/blogs/the-outdoor-explorer-usa-rv-experience/lets-go-buying-an-rv

Please reach out if you have any questions. I do recommend you attend a RV show. We were lucky enough to attend the Hershey PA show, called the largest RV show in America. We ended up buying there and are off and running. No better place to compare models and quality of brands. Plus it is fun to dream about those 800k diesel pushers. 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, I agree about the market and waiting, but if you’re turning down the one with a lein solely for that reason, that is just silly. That’s not an obstacle or cause for concern.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a child I spent summers with my grandparents touring America in their Airstream towed by their Cadillac. After decades of tent camping, my father-in-law lent us his truck camper for many summers and I caught the RV bug (bye bye tents). Looking to purchase, we rented Class C motorhomes (CruiseAmerica) and wifey did not like the idea of busting up the camp to drive around. I found myself back to where I started: travel trailers.

My $0.02
1. Rig length. Many campsites at state and national parks have a max length limit of 20' or so. Yes there may be a limited number of "pull through" sites, but not at all campgrounds.
2. Tank sizes. Smaller the tanks can be limiting. Airstreams had small tanks so...sorry grandpa.
3. Insulation. It was a warm day when we went TT shopping and were attracted to the Nash line--as they were the coolest inside. Research revealed they used higher rated insulation.
4. Underside. Covered, open, insulated, heated? Some TT are naked, leaving wires and lines exposed. Some are covered but not insulated, and some are deluxe with heat option.

In my instance, the Nash was 20', had large tanks, insulated and had a covered underside.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a wise move.
Price gouging while inventory is low targets the desperate and those gluttonous for punishment....you sound like neither.

SuttonKS
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have decided to put the brakes on for awhile. Found a few winn micro minnies 2018/2019/2021, a Rockwood Geo Pro 2021 and a Coleman Rubicon 2021. Used but still newish. Problem is, as one person stated in this thread, prices are really high. Even found a couple articles saying 2021 is not the best year to buy a tt. The 2018 micro is priced $4k below the price when it was new and they are the second owners, not sure how the negotiation would go on that one. The Rubicon, the folks financed it and want to get their payoff amount, totally understand,but not comfortable with buying one without a clear title. Hope things cool off in 2022. Will keep on eye out but just don't want to overpay and regret. We truly do appreciate all the comments and I took notes! We will be back soon!

SuttonKS
Explorer
Explorer
You all are great, thank you! I need to digest all the comments/tips. We are still in homework stage:)

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
WHEW!! Lots of "discussion" here.
When we started looking in 2005, we set requirements that we wanted.
A sofa. Large, enclosed, heated tanks. Nice bathing area (not in the hallway). Small enough to park anywhere. Affordable.
Well, in 2018, we moved into our perfect tow behind. Finally. This is our 4th unit. Looong story.
The moral here is that the first trailer you decide upon might soon be replaced by a "better" one.
Have fun looking.

Have to add to your comment....guess my husband and I did right. We bought in 2004 brand new unit and we still have the TT. We are now looking into buying a 5th Wheel, which is hard to decide as we have been very comfortable with our floor plan.

Although it may have been more fun to update sooner;)
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
As you look at floor plans....some of the features I feel most important:
Not listed in order.....

-Make sure you can access the bathroom with slides in ( if you have slides).

- You may want to access the refrigerator if slides are in. This is helpful if you stop and buy food items while on your travels.
Some units are hard to access the refrigerator but make sure you can at least pull the slide out a little to get to the refrigerator.

-This one you may laugh at but is an important feature as you will discover later.....when looking, sit on the toilet. Sit as if you are reading a book or paper. Does your legs have room. Believe me you will want this comfort.

- Vision your floor plan. Will you be having the extra sleeping beds out. Can you pull it out and still move around the unit at night.

Exciting times....enjoy!
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!