cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scary moment towing my 5er around Denver last week

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
We were headed up to Estes Park from southern Colorado when this idiot crosses 4 lanes then comes to dead stop right in front of me. Needless to say it was a "Code Brown" moment. Luckily we missed the fool - and I don't know how but we did. The dashcam caught it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcVxW0fs8s

Regards.
A resident of the great city of Austin, Texas
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate (6.7 Powerstroke)
44 REPLIES 44

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
When I leave the Southern side of metro Denver headed to Southwest Texas, I drive city, state and county two lane paved roads the entire way. Generally don't drive the interstates much at all any more. It seems somewhat less race track like. I also run a dash cam most of the time.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I-70 and I-25 through Denver is lined with long black skid marks on the road surface and lots of plastic/glass and broken vehicle parts on the shoulder of the interstates. From NE Oklahoma to SLC we go up I-35 and on north to York, Nebraska then west on I-80 on to SLC/Provo area.

When we go south......that is our โ€œmuchโ€ preferredโ€ route! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 and I-25 through Denver is lined with long black skid marks on the road surface and lots of plastic/glass and broken vehicle parts on the shoulder of the interstates. From NE Oklahoma to SLC we go up I-35 and on north to York, Nebraska then west on I-80 on to SLC/Provo area.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Which camera are you using? Thanks in the market for one.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blaczero wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bgum wrote:
I do think we should demand tighter controls on who gets and keeps a drivers license.

yep, that's what we need allright. more govt. red tape and regulations. :S
bumpy

Ya , that would be crappy saving lifeโ€™s :R

I do hope you're kidding on this one. If you think for 30 more seconds after this thought pops into your brain, you'd figure for yourself why it's so naive.

It was very naive, what could I possibly have been thinking of such a stupid thing like wanting to save life's . But yes it would be futile ,and its just wishful thinking .

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a temporary license plate for a newly purchased vehicle to allow time for paperwork to reach the county motor vehicle office.

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:

Thats a strange looking tag, looks like they were confused or brake checking you.

looks to me like a temporary tag. I bet that could be made legible if desired.

bumpy

If the OP could get the raw video to someone, I'd bet they could clean it up enough to read the tag. Not many YT videos are posted in full resolution.

Lyle

What do you need the tag for?

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bgum wrote:
I do think we should demand tighter controls on who gets and keeps a drivers license.

yep, that's what we need allright. more govt. red tape and regulations. :S
bumpy

Ya , that would be crappy saving lifeโ€™s :R

I do hope you're kidding on this one. If you think for 30 more seconds after this thought pops into your brain, you'd figure for yourself why it's so naive.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've been cut off driving a diesel pusher. Nothing like having an air horn to lean on. Guess you could get one of those for your truck.

BTW, due to the relaxed drug laws in CO, isn't there a good chance that the crazy drivers are high on something?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rexlion wrote:
How do these dash cams function? Do they turn on/off automatically with the ignition switch, or does one have to remember to start them? What happens when the memory gets full? Are they affordable or expensive? Easy to install or difficult?

You can set most decent cams to come on with ignition, come on with g-forces (parked car getting bumped) or always on. I'm looking to get a set for my car that can also be moved to my truck/trailer. I have zero issues with using a wired connection.

When the card gets full, it starts overwriting the older footage. Virtually =all= cams have a "bookmark" feature where you can bookmark a spot and it will automatically save, usually, the 5 mins before the button push and 5 minutes after. It is locked from being overwritten. I =think= if you push the button more times, it locks out more time on the card.

Like anything, dash cams can be had for pretty cheap or pretty expensive. All depends on the quality and features you want/need. Installation runs the same way. You can choose a "portable" install, where you've got wires running all over, or a "permanent" install, where wires are hidden. Also, a lot of people that choose to have the always on feature will install a dedicated battery for their cams. Another feature, especially for hotter climates, is to get a cam that has a "super capacitor" instead of a battery. They are =much= more reliable than batteries in hot conditions.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

nhshep
Explorer
Explorer
In most cases if you rear end someone you are at fault because rule of the road says you should have been within breaking distance of anyone in front. Thanks to your dashcam you had solid proof the person in front was at fault and no collision because you took good evasive action. I read stories people would go out late at night in city center drive good speed in front of someone then right before a traffic light which was green slam on the breaks in the hope of a rear end collision to collect from others insurance. They say late at night less witnesses and good chance other person is DUI or not alert. They tell the police they stopped because light had turned red. It becomes his word against the word of whoever rear ended them. I can see it happening if they want to take risk of injury. Good idea with the dashcam. We all have close calls at sometime. You were lucky, stay safe.
2018 Prime Time Crusader 29RS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:

Thats a strange looking tag, looks like they were confused or brake checking you.

looks to me like a temporary tag. I bet that could be made legible if desired.

bumpy

If the OP could get the raw video to someone, I'd bet they could clean it up enough to read the tag. Not many YT videos are posted in full resolution.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would like to see a soft barricade, maybe the plastic reflector posts, extended out from the guardrail bumper to discourage the last second route change.

Would that discourage, or just move the problem?

Maybe we could have some kind of clearing house where this kind of video could be sent, prosses to identify owner of the vehicle, then notify their insurance company.
After all a large percentage of the population goes batsnot crazy about government regulation to protect the public, but are perfectly fine with a for-profit company taking the same action.

The UK has this. You can send video clips to the coppers and they can, and will, take action. A =lot= of bikers and cyclists do this, if you believe what you see on the various compilations on YT.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
cgaskins wrote:
We were headed up to Estes Park from southern Colorado when this idiot crosses 4 lanes then comes to dead stop right in front of me. Needless to say it was a "Code Brown" moment. Luckily we missed the fool - and I don't know how but we did. The dashcam caught it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDcVxW0fs8s

Regards.

Saw that on one of the various dash cam compliation videos last week. Good job and glad you're OK. I had one on the way up I-17 while towing. I =thought= I had plenty of room, but traffic stopped hard and I braked hard enough that the ABS kicked in for a second. Stopped about 15' short of the guy in front of me, but it was still a "pucker moment".

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A