Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Porsche as a tow vehicle? Depends on the trailer . . .
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Porsche as a tow vehicle? Depends on the trailer . . .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine both would be listed as totaled.
The most interesting thing in the article to me was about the investigator who would recommend denying a claim if either was over weight specs.
For the weight police, I believe this is a justification for bringing weights up, especially for folks just starting out.
I would really be unhappy if that was my Porsche and trailer that was denied coverage.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

The most interesting thing in the article to me was about the investigator who would recommend denying a claim if either was over weight specs.
For the weight police, I believe this is a justification for bringing weights up, especially for folks just starting out.

I'd believe it's just blathering second hand "info", and in no way a legitimate cause for claim denial.
To keep the chicken little's calmed down, think about it. How many "at fault" incidents involve the insured doing something wrong or against the law (which following the door sticker is NOT a law anyways)?
Answer, most all of them and many result in traffic citations to the at-fault party. Does insurance deny if the insured gets cited for failure to yield? Nope.
Which is the same answer in this case.
Will legitimate automobile insurance be denied? Nope.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Cayenne tows better than any half-ton. No one mentioned that this area is known for high winds.

Speculation, it's what's for dinner.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ISBRAM wrote:

Skibane wrote:

"the trailer was a 2019 Heartland Wilderness. The smallest of these is the M-2375BH at 28’ 9”, weighing in at 5,644 pounds with a hitch weight of 690 pounds dry. These numbers are within spec for the Cayenne depending on how the tow vehicle itself was loaded and how the trailer was loaded."

So he assumed the wrecked trailer actually was the smallest Wilderness model, took the trailer manufacturer's word about its weight, and then assumed that it wasn't loaded beyond the Porsche's rated capacity...

I agree, the GVWR of that model is 6900lbs. if it and the Porsche were both loaded it was likely over its rating. Sometimes the tail wags the dog.

I agree, and based on what we see coming into parks, we will see more of this. Starting to see a lot of small to mid sized SUVs pulling fairly long TT, that is not a good combination. The issue is length not weight.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Starting to see a lot of small to mid sized SUVs pulling fairly long TT, that is not a good combination. The issue is length not weight.

Maybe it's just me, but on average, trailers seem to be getting longer.

Would be interesting to see some historical data on average trailer length.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Classic case of trusting the salesman or the brochure, not reading or understanding the small print. Not applying ALL the towing parameters.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that is a poorly matched combo.
Whoever sold that combo or told the buyer it was OK should be ashamed of themselves.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course we don't know the conditions or hazards that exited when this happened. Could have been inevitable with the Porsche or a diesel dually.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propchef wrote:

That Cayenne tows better than any half-ton. No one mentioned that this area is known for high winds.

Speculation, it's what's for dinner.

No, no it does not. The short wheelbase and lower curb weight means it can not be a better tow vehicle than my crew cab full bed with a 153" wheelbase, that's simply physics.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Of course we don't know the conditions or hazards that exited when this happened. Could have been inevitable with the Porsche or a diesel dually.

Where’s the fun in that though?
It “had” to be an inexperienced driver with poorly setup weight distribution way over published towing ratings with too short of vehicle that was a hazard just pulling out of the driveway doing 90mph tossing Heineken cans out the window!

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The consultant would determine the weights and if over would recommend denying insurance. Speaks for itself.

Absolutely false. Insurance covers accidents. Even if a law was broken. And the manufacturer tow ratings hold no legal standing.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Porsche as a tow vehicle? Depends on the trailer . . .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.