Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tips on asking friends for mootchdocking?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Tips on asking friends for mootchdocking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
SlowBro

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any good tips on approaching friends to ask for a spare driveway? How do you start that conversation? What things do you say and not say? How do you ask about the length of stay? How much is appropriate, if anything, to offer to pay for services used?

For us, longer is better, but I definitely would never want to overstay. We have a generator and will be adding solar, so while we don't need any hookups, it would be nice. Have unlimited Verizon 4G so while we don't need to share Wi-Fi, it would be nice. I would want to offer to pay when using host services, unless it is not suggested.

I just had this conversation with my beloved aunt and she loves me very much and even then, it felt awkward to me. She loves Christmas Vacation and they remind me so much of the Griswolds, so I'd hate to be Cousin Eddie. LOL

2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.

God bless!

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your RV doesn’t impede the friends coming and going ask but remember that fish and all guests smell in three days…two nights.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I simply asked friends if I could stay. I never stayed more than 5 days. I reciprocated by taking their families out to supper.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Hi (insert name here). I'm going to be in your neck of the woods (insert date(s)) here. Is there any chance I can use your driveway for (insert time frame here)? It would really be appreciated and I'd love to take you out to dinner for you troubles. If it's not possible, no worries. Thanks!"

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just ask. If I would be parked in their driveway a couple days at the most. If I was parked in a side or back yard maybe 5 days. It also depends on how close a friend. I would never ask for any amenities like water or electric. If offered I would partake but return the favor with $$ or a gift or dinner. Also, do not drag everything out if the RV. Awning out and a couple chairs. Don't make it look like you have moved in. just my 2 cents.

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just the opposite ! Occasionally my daughter's family needs to park in my driveway. Usually for only a couple of days. They are so EMBARRASSED to ask !

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t ask. Let them offer. Maybe ask if they know any where fairly close where you could park your rig. When asked, that puts them in an awkward position of trying to find a way of saying no if they would rather you didn’t, or saying yes so as not to offend though they preferred you didn’t.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We encourage people to share our driveway, but we may get even sometime?

Our last visitors are moving to Portugal. . . we're coming soon!

We live on the beach with oysters, clams and mussels that we grow, and Dungeness crab that we catch. They must provide the wine.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, there are two categories here:

1. Visiting with friends/family and staying in the driveway; or
2. Wanting to stay in friends/family driveway and go off doing your own thing.

With #1, just ask "would it be OK if we park the RV in your driveway? That way you can kick us out of the house when you're tired of us."

With #2, I agree to just ask if they know of any good RV parks nearby and let them offer their driveway. Otherwise, you put the awkwardness on them to have to say no.

In addition, you are either using their power or running a generator in their yard. The former costs them money, the latter may annoy them or their neighbors. Wanting to use their wifi seems intrusive - you have your own use it.

If they offer to let you plug in, consider your usage - will you be running the AC and tv and microwave, etc? Or just a few lights at night? If the minimum, then a dinner treat is fine. If the maximum, then offer to pay $5-10 per day.

I would never stay more than 5 nights for # 1 and 2 nights for #2. For #2, you are really "using" them and any longer can create bad feelings.

And remember, your being parked in their driveway is an inconvenience to them.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/21 03:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a second RV pad with full hookups. Includes OTAR and Direct TV if wanted.

A dear friend has spent up to two months at a time here.

We come and go and do not have to entertain each other but we often make dinners and share our favorite recipes. The last stay I warned them NOT to buy us gifts etc in return. They left a $100 bill kind of hidden when they left this time to cover electricity. I know they just had to do this to satisfy themselves and not burden us with the extra costs. It is worth it to have friends and family nearby.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Tips on asking friends for mootchdocking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.