Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: WiFi Camera always late to the action
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WiFi Camera always late to the action

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Corkey, my Wyze cameras log under 1kbps unless I an **************. The "motion detection" should be on the camera itself, not on a cloud which would require full camera resolution to the cloud. My Ubiquiti cameras log about 2mpbs of network/WiFi data, but those only stay in my home.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Corkey, my Wyze cameras log under 1kbps unless I an **************. The "motion detection" should be on the camera itself, not on a cloud which would require full camera resolution to the cloud. My Ubiquiti cameras log about 2mpbs of network/WiFi data, but those only stay in my home.

You're right (I should have been a little more clear) the motion detection is in the camera ... the camera must detect motion before it tells the Hub to connects to the WiFi. Hence the delay. These cameras are NOT connected to WiFi full time, only when recording anything motion activated. I don't know of any Wifi camera powered by batteries that stays connected. If so the batteries wouldn't last more than a few hours at best.

The question I posed was, why can't internal memory in the camera capture the immediate recording and spool it to the Hub/WiFi? No delay

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is with whatever camera brand/model you have, There are lots of options out there across a wide range of $$$.

Do you have a way to run power to where you want cameras? Wyze use Micro USB. For some of my outdoor cameras, I use 25' long cables hidden in siding J channel. Some are power over Ethernet, so not using WiFi either.

Have you looked into Blink Cameras? They have 2yr battery life. I'm sure there are similar competitors with longer battery life.

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

The problem is with whatever camera brand/model you have, There are lots of options out there across a wide range of $$$.

Do you have a way to run power to where you want cameras? Wyze use Micro USB. For some of my outdoor cameras, I use 25' long cables hidden in siding J channel. Some are power over Ethernet, so not using WiFi either.

Have you looked into Blink Cameras? They have 2yr battery life. I'm sure there are similar competitors with longer battery life.

ARLO camera system. I won't disagree about the problem being with the camera system. ARLO is expensive and actually a good system, with excellent digital controls. The answer to your question about a power source is "No", I didn't have a good way to provide power at the time. My choice of battery powered camera took me to ARLO because of the good reviews, but I guess I missed the part about connection lag. ARLO is also harder on battery life than I expected. I'm actually looking at a way to provide power over Ethernet as we speak.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> WiFi Camera always late to the action
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.