cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Valet?

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I have a parking issue at home. All I want is to push the nose sideways a few feet, but it's just not possible with the truck, and still unhitch.

I looked up trailer valet devices and they all seem to be ball hitch only. There is one that looks like a lunar rover that claims 3-5k lbs but it's expensive and still not really a 5er device.

Has anyone built any sled or dolly? I don't have to go far, or often, but it sure would be nice.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide
12 REPLIES 12

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
If you're staying on pavement you can buy a usable forklift for $3K. Get off pavement and the price goes up. An old Hyster propane warehouse model is all you need. But then you'll have to store it

On a side note: I replaced my Pullrite with a Reese manual slider. I can go over 90 without moving the slide back. Moving it back does make backing easier though.

As said ,that's his best option ,lose that Superglide , and go manual, or in my case ,and IMO the best way to go is the Andersen.

Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're staying on pavement you can buy a usable forklift for $3K. Get off pavement and the price goes up. An old Hyster propane warehouse model is all you need. But then you'll have to store it

On a side note: I replaced my Pullrite with a Reese manual slider. I can go over 90 without moving the slide back. Moving it back does make backing easier though.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
Let's just say for instance it was possible to lift the front of your fiver with something like GoJak Dollies. How would you then move that 10,000 lbs behemoth and keep it from getting away from you? Cause once it starts to roll, then it don't want to stop.

The stop; Place a 4X4 a foot from, and in the path of a wheel on each side. You will not have enough momentum for 1500 lbs to jump either block. Hit 1 first will try to turn the trailer. As for moving it, a bar levered against the frame of the dolly can give you enough power to pull Jesus off the cross.

I think if I had to do it often I would fab up a extension to temp a pin out a foot or so in front of normal, give you room to swing without needing slide, so could unhook/hook at a angle.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Let's just say for instance it was possible to lift the front of your fiver with something like GoJak Dollies. How would you then move that 10,000 lbs behemoth and keep it from getting away from you? Cause once it starts to roll, then it don't want to stop.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
I hear you, but I like the back of my cab too much. For us the auto slider is best.

The way the front end on your fifth wheel is made ,and the position the Andersen sits in the bed , it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get 90 degrees . In the 16 years I have been towing four different fifth wheels ,not once have I needed to get 90 degrees , or for that matter anywhere close , but it seems to many that's important.

As said ,I have to crank it pretty sharp to get into my driveway , and I have the shortest bed of the three . Ram being the shortest ,and your Ford being the longest. I have watched a friend of mine with the same truck you have back his fifth wheel, and I have never seen where he needs to pull his manual slider back. I would have to ask him ,but I don't think he's ever had to use the slider . Just food for thought, or live with that Pullrite.

Another friend , somewhat the same situation as you ,had the Superglide, and same truck .. He grew tired of that Superglide pretty quick, combination of the unhitching restrictions at an angle ,and just the weight of getting it in ,and out of his truck . He too went with the Andersen ,same as I did.

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out Parkit360. they have a unit that is costly, but works with fifth wheels.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's all a matter of physics. You are trying to move the pin which is about 4 ft. in the air. You need a large base and/or a lot of weight or it tips over instead of moving the trailer.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just remember, wherever you put it, you'll have to get it back to hook up again.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you on pavement? Back close, set the legs on car dollies, then use a bar to lever it where you want it. Be sure the chocks are close to be sure it doesn't go to far.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the trailer valet combined with the Andersen pin to ball adaptor alone would solve your problem.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear you, but I like the back of my cab too much. For us the auto slider is best.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
So I have a parking issue at home. All I want is to push the nose sideways a few feet, but it's just not possible with the truck, and still unhitch.

I looked up trailer valet devices and they all seem to be ball hitch only. There is one that looks like a lunar rover that claims 3-5k lbs but it's expensive and still not really a 5er device.

Has anyone built any sled or dolly? I don't have to go far, or often, but it sure would be nice.

Probably your best option , and you probably don’t want to hear it ,but get rid of that Pullrite , that’s the issue right there , not being able to disconnect at an angle , common issue with that hitch . Any quality manual slider or better yet the Andersen hitch would solve the issue. Most likely your cheapest option.

Andersen works very well with my Ram short bed , and I have a very sharp back into my driveway .