cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22.5 wheels

brianseay1
Explorer
Explorer
this may be a stupid question but i'm gonna ask it anyway. Can you run a steel wheel on the rear inside and a Alcoa aluminum wheel on the outside without any issues. I'm thinking it should be no issue, but just want to get some valuable info from you all. I want to buy 4 Alcoa wheels to put on my coach and I plan on running two steel wheels on the inside of rear axle. Thanks for any info.
Brian & Neena & B.G.
B.G. 2014 Goldendoodle
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 389DS
300 HP Cummins Turbo Charged
03 Sahara Jeep Wrangler & 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2014 800 RZR4
Roll Tide Roll
12 REPLIES 12

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hikerdogs wrote:
You might need new longer studs on the rear drums or rotors. Aluminum wheels are much thicker than steel ones.

On my coach the studs were long enough to accommodate one aluminum wheel per location but not two. Naturally, I chose to put the aluminum on the outside.

What I really wanted to do was go with supersingles but my coach uses low profile tires and I can't find any supersingles that diameter.

There was a guy on here a while back that converted his duals to supersingles and changed to lightweight drums. He reported significant weight savings but never posted anymore follow ups.

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
My Phaeton came with 221/2" wheels when I bought it new but when it came time to change out the tires I changed the wheels to Alcoa's. I went with 4 polished and the 2 inter wheels I installed non polished. I don't think anything is wrong with using the steel wheels on the inside rear wheels but I wanted all aluminum. I took one of the steel wheels and put one of the used tires on and I am able to fit a fully mounted and aired up tire and wheel in the compartment next to my propane tank compartment. I sense changed the tires out again and then changed the spare to the newer aged out tires. I think I am old school but I feel better with a spare tire. I have extra steel wheels that I would gladly give to anyone who needs a spare for their motorhome. I live above Sacramento off highway 50.
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never saw a different offset in Alcoas or any other 22.5 wheel. You just turn them around. BUT they may only be polished on one side leading to the idea that they are different off sets.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
You might need new longer studs on the rear drums or rotors. Aluminum wheels are much thicker than steel ones.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's how our coach is set up.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many trucks are sold with steel on the inside. In years past there was a disc between to reduce corrosion where the dis-similar metals meet.
Something to look at is the studs. Will they be long enough to get a full nut with the thicker wheels?

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can run steel inners and aluminum outers. Deal with a tire shop that does trucks and they will use a teflon ring between the wheels to prevent electrolisis between steel and aluminum.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Most all motorhomes with Alcoa wheel options are built that way. Also the front wheels are a different offset than the rear wheels.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My last 2 DPs were that way as is my F-350. I don't think I ever saw an Alcoa on the inside

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
That’s how all the F53’s come. My 12 is like that and my buddys 17 is the same way.
They are coated but I would use anti seize where the wheel goes around the hub, dissimilar metals.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there were some OE coaches fit that way. Saved the manufacturers a few $$.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe I had a motorhome set up like that. Also I think my 2012 Ram Dually had the Alcoa's or similar on the outside and the inners were steel. The people you are purchasing the rims from should be able to tell you for sure though.

You have a doodle too . . . We have 2 of them Tuxedo Doodles brother and sister
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie