Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 6 Volt Battery Winter Maintenance Advice?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 6 Volt Battery Winter Maintenance Advice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

theres another option. if you hve a good converter in the rv and you leave it pluged in, just leave the batteries set up as normal. I got 14 years out of my lst 6V batteries and they only time they wernt plugged in was when I was driving or camping with out services.

Steve

x2

Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

I do nothing different for our Samsclub purchased 6 volt golfcart batteries during the winter months as opposed to summer. Regardless of the time of year we keep our batteries properly watered and always plugged in letting our smart converter or inverter charger keep them happily charged.

We experience at least 4 months yearly of sub-freezing temps and easily get a minimum of 8 years of reliable service, they always have life still left in them but with the sales they occasionally have at Samsclub on GC2 batteries we tend to get a fresh pair.

For less than what we spend on fuel for a single RV outing we have 12 volt reserves for many years to come, don't see myself going with newer battery technologies any time soon as we have always had good success over several decades of RVing.

x2

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's worth mentioning that the electrolyte in a fully-charged lead-acid battery has a freezing temperature of around 95 degrees F. below zero.

In a completely-discharged battery, it's just +32 degrees F.

Moral of the story: If you don't want your batteries to freeze, keep them charged.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fully charged and disconnected batteries will last the winter in sub zero temps. At least mine have for more than nine years now with only a 10% discharge through the winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 6 Volt Battery Winter Maintenance Advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.