cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mechanics backed up for weeks all over?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there some Is there some report on the state of the industry, average wait times, all that?

Took my new (new to me) rig in for an initial inspection and they canโ€™t see me for three weeks even if I just wanted an oil change. And my normal vehicle mechanic is also struggling to get labor. Went to a tire shop today, same story.

To reiterate, not so much looking for conditions where you are as I am looking for the state of the industry. What I want to avoid is initiating a long road trip if I donโ€™t know how much support I would get. Having to return home because the shop has our rig for weeks would be devastating. And since this is our new house, weโ€™d have not much to return home to.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
18 REPLIES 18

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
averaging 2-3 weeks here for an inspection

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I can see how this could be concerning for someone who cannot even do so much as an inspection or oil change. However things havenโ€™t โ€œreallyโ€ changed in that respect. More so the OP is beginning to overthink the what ifโ€™s of living on the roadโ€ฆ.or maybe never considered them in the first place.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fried of mine with a brand new Ram dually, batteries are completely dead. His selling dealership can't get him in until 9/21. He found another dealer 25 miles away and paid for a flat bed to take his truck there. Even they said 3 weeks.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My second car has been sitting at the shop for a week and I haven't even gotten an estimate.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess by these responses that there's not some nationwide state-of-the-industry report. I couldn't think of Google terms to search for it.

What do full-timers do, if they can't have it in a park and must leave it for six weeks at the shop? This shop in particular has a gate and we'd either not be allowed after close of business, or we'd be locked in at night without hookups, or we'd have to store it somewhere else--maybe a park, maybe not, depending on the functionality of the vehicle to get it to a park. Seems like a real trap. I guess they'd either go to a hotel or go stay with someone for six weeks.

In my instance I do have the ability to take it to our current home, but it got me to thinking.
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shop down the street looked barren yesterday. Only about 30 cars sitting in the parking area to be serviced by their 4 mechanics. Usually there are over 50 waiting....and I live in a semi-rural area. They do have one apprentice handling the oil changes, scanning check-engine lights and minor other stuff.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And, yes, according to my buddy who's the lead mechanic at a private repair shop here, the lack of new vehicle availability and inflation is very good for business.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, if something like this is a real concern for you traveling and beginning full timing, then it may not be the right decision for you.
That said, in general it seems, no, wait, there is evidence that all the past and continued financial stimuli, extra/extended unemployment insurance and other charity programs that are in place has put a strain on available (I mean willing) workforce in the lower level career paths.
AKA, companies can't find help.
Combine this with the rampant supply chain issues and rapid inflation in the last 6-8 months following a big hit from the pandemic, things aren't quite the same.
But are you going to wait around for 4 more years before this chit show hopefully ends, or go do what you want to do, which is travel?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, and even pre-Covid.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been that way for awhile, some regions of the country seem to be worse than others. Mobile RV techs might be another way to get work done on your rig, they can do 90% of the work a shop can and most are just a few days behind. On my class A gasser I do nearly all the maintenance being that it is easy to access both 8.1L engine and allison tranny for fluid and filter replacement. On the road we have used local mobile RV techs as well and have always had same day or next day service, again that can vary according to region, we do most of our RVing in the mountain and southwest regions of the USA.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here in central NC I have had DP serviced with a couple of days notice. Had F-350 oil changed at dealer the day after I called. Got 6 tires on DP the day after I called. Its different out here in the country I guess.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a "good service" issue. If you get quality service it is going to cost you and you may have to wait. But if the service dept knows you and you don't cry wolf too often you will get in quickly.
Jesseannie

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
On the road, we've found repair shops for the most part have been very accommodating in getting us back on our way as quickly as practical.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope, don't have that issue. Made an appointment for Service on my truck and it was only 3 days out. I waited for it when I took it in and was done in a half an hour. Wife gets her oil changed at a shop up the road, no appt, done in 15 mins. Son has been getting lots of work done on his car, several appointments, none of which are made more than 5 days out and each one done the next day.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS