cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp plug assistance needed

Pepi_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I attempted to do a search, but had little luck. If this belongs elsewhere, let me know.

I'm in a 2650BH Passport ultra lite. It's going to the junkyard before long, but I need an emergency fix to get us through the heat. Yes, we're full timers.

AC needs major repair and I'm not investing in that now. I also need new circuit breakers as two were iffy anyway, but if I don't put much on them, they're fine.

My 30 amp cord is hardwired. The shore power box is just for the 30 amp. No additional outlets. I need to be able to bypass the rig system to plug in a portable AC. Portable pulls 10 amps, but the 15 amp breaker was already screwy. Need an alternative.

Is there a piggyback type of adapter that will permit me to plug in my rig on the shore power, but also give me an outlet for AC?

I hope I was clear enough. If not, ask away. And thanks in advance.

My parents passed earlier in the year and once their estate is settled, we can look for a new rig. We're stuck in the meantime.
14 REPLIES 14

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Isnโ€™t it easier and cheaper and better to just replace the bad breaker?!!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Pepi's_Mom wrote:
way2roll wrote:
If you plug into shore power your outlets in your RV should then have power. Maybe I am missing something.

I have power to my outlets. The portable AC pulls 10 amps. The circuit breaker is rated for 15, but I think the previous owners overloaded it more than once as it flips easily.

Buy a new breaker. They are standard household breakers. You probably have one made by Eaton or Cutler Hammer. These are a common breaker and one made by Siemens, Bryant, Murray, etc will fit and work. They should be $5 or so at a Home Depot or similar store.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addtition to the adapter above (NOTE you are still limited to 30 amps by the park breaker) I've been known to use a 12 GA extension cord for a Portable appliance (or even a re-wired hard wired one) and the 20 amp park outlet.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great that you can be a "cool mom"
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Pepi_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!

A miracle occurred. Or it's Murphy's Law. I went outside to water plants and the repair guy showed up. I had waited 3 weeks. Poor guy is worked to death. Anyhow, he repaired my RV AC, so it runs now.

I'm still going to be looking into these fixes and links so that I can use it with the next rig, if need be. Better than being caught flat-footed like this time.

Thanks again...seriously

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This may be a better choice than the "puck" adapter. Use it with the "Y" adapter above.

https://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-A10-3015HVP-Female-Adapter-Handle/dp/B00ON26ND4/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&...

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
This plus this will work.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you use a 12 gage extension cord, at least, to run your portable AC.
P
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd suggest a dogbone type adapter. The one illustrated above may get pretty hot.

You could also make a "break out box" which would be useful for your next RV.
Regards, Don

Pepi_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
That should work just fine

Thank you. Finding the right words to describe my problem was an issue. I'm going to get one then. I'll have to order it, but I can put a rush on it.

Thank you. We still want our Majestic, but the pandemic has delayed things. We're trying to keep our unit going in the meantime.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
That should work just fine
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Pepi_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
I found this and wonder if it would work. I can roof a house, but I stink when it comes to electrical stuff.

Pepi_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
If you plug into shore power your outlets in your RV should then have power. Maybe I am missing something.

I have power to my outlets. The portable AC pulls 10 amps. The circuit breaker is rated for 15, but I think the previous owners overloaded it more than once as it flips easily.

I want to be able to plug in outside at the shore power post. That way, I'm not putting the portable on a crappy breaker. However, the post only has the one 30 amp outlet.

Think of it like putting a multi plug adapter on an outlet in your home, but with the 30 amp instead. That way I can plug in outside and bypass the rig system. I hope that made more sense.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS