cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Umbilical cord markers/reminders

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing for about 35 years now, and like most of us, I have a routine for packing up. Usually it works well, but as most of you can relate to, if something happens that disrupts that routine, things can get overlooked. Last year, I was nearly done packing up when my son-in-law asked me to help him with his WDH. That's all it took to disrupt me, and I hopped in my RV (after helping him) and pulled out...still plugged in to the power pedestal.

But I've come up with a great backup that has been working well for me. I purchased a package of "Slap Bracelets" on Amazon for about $7. I then used a P-Touch label machine to label them; Water, Sewer, Elec, TV Ant. These are stored on their respective units (i.e. the ELEC is attached to the cord end, the WATER attached to the city water inlet, etc). When I hook anything up, I take that slap bracelet and put it on my wrist. Once fully set up, I take them all off my wrist and put them on my steering wheel.

Now, when packing up, I move all of the bracelets from the steering wheel to my wrist, and then put each of them back on their respective units as I disconnect each. If any are still left on the steering wheel or wrist when I get ready to leave...I know that I am still attached to something.

Just thought I'd share.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe they needed blow dried!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Is there a marker band for underpants?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
No matter how distracted I get I ALWAYS do a walk-around before I get behind the wheel. Perhaps a simple, "did you do a walkaround?" on the steering wheel will suffice.

X2!
Last step before pulling out is one SLOW walk around!!
Double check storage doors, entrance door, stairs, lights, hitch, and landing gear.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
I use those plastic clamps that are like spring clothespins. And a key tag label. I put it on the driver's visor when stopped and clamp it to the hose or power cord or whatever when I store it.
I also have tags for propane, refrigerator, furnace, TV aerial, cable TV, water heater, and back door.
David and Dayle

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
No matter how distracted I get I ALWAYS do a walk-around before I get behind the wheel. Perhaps a simple, "did you do a walkaround?" on the steering wheel will suffice.

Same here , actually more then once . Then I stand back and just look from all four sides .

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been RVing for over 3 decades as well and with every rig we have developed a system for set up and breakdown, our kids all had their responsibilities when arriving or leaving our site. Thanks for posting your solution, it certainly will assist others to develop a system that works well for their particular situation. We don't utilize a physical list and will do a final walkaround, but that is still no guarantee you won't forget or overlook something, no matter the system we all can make mistakes from time to time.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I used velcro "cable ties" (especially on the crank handle of the antenna) If something was used or put up - the tie went on the steering wheel.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:

This.

I do a walk around, Tammy does a walk around locking the door & hatches and then she directs me out of the site (even if it's a wide open site). She then follows up by looking for any misc stuff left on the site.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea ! I use a different method. The one you use works for you and that's great. Maybe someone else can use it or get inspiration from it.

Thanks for posting it.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
After I think that everything put away and or secured, toad hooked up and lights checked. I will do 2 walk arounds, the first looking up awnings, antennae nothing loose. The second walk around from the drivers door is looking down, wheel chocks, leveling blocks, all connections toad, hookup all disconnected and compartment doors locked. I then get in and pull off site (or driveway at home) and park on road with 4 way flashers on. I then walk back to the campsite and make sure that nothing is left, chairs etc and that the site is clean. Then back to the MH and on the way. Has worked for me for 10 years.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea! Iโ€™ve been using a 3x5 card with tasks in order for departure. I go through it twice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I never use any hookups except the occasional electricity. In the cubby with the cord, I keep an old yellow plastic margarine cup. That cup goes onto the driver's seat when I plug in to the pedestal and gets put away when I unplug. Free, lightweight, and foolproof.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
similar to what we used to do as a visual reminder to lower the TV antenna. what we've been doing is a written checklist. my wife reads the checklist and I respond. i know what you mean about being interrupted but so far our 2-person checklist works well.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE