cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Absorption vs. Residential refrigerator

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
My current rig - a 2017 Newmar Ventana LE - has a 12 c.f. 4-door refrigerator/freezer. Runs on 120 or propane, and simply does not keep the ice cream cold enough, and even at the highest setting, previously frozen foods begin to thaw, though only slightly. Temporary solution to this was the acquisition of a Dometic portable cooler (75DZ) that does a much better job of keep the ice cream in an acceptable state.

The issue for me is this: I'm considering trading up to a new MH, and my research suggests most if not all new coach's come with residential all-electric fridge. Since I boondock often, and will continue to do so, I also plan to move my current Battle Born Lithiums to the new coach (100Ah each, 4 total). I currently also have about 600 total watts of solar, and have room for another 600 watts (3 panels), and it's a given that I'll probably have an equivalent wattage output for solar on the new rig.

I'm attempting to learn as much as I can about the differences between Residential vs. Absorption fridge's, and why I would want one over the other. Capacity isn't a big issue for me, but I wouldn't want to go smaller than what I already have... To be sure, I'll be spending time at traditional RV parks with shore power, but again, there's the ice cream thing... I'd very much appreciate your insight and experience in guiding me toward the knowledge level I seek to make an informed decision - TIA! 

Michael
21 REPLIES 21

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think what I'll do is keep my Norcold(works fine...sometimes too fine), keep the black water tank. Go camping and let the solar keep the batteries up. Cook my biscuits in the oven, perc. the coffee on the stove. I'll check back in when all this is sorted out and when I am forced to change over.........I will.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Thinking about getting back into Raving. Two things I don't want in a new RV are propane and a black water tank. There are much better alternatives that provide the same functionality at lower cost or at least less maintenance.

He actually has 3 things from a previous post. He forgot to add. He also will never have a Diesel Motorhome. But, I would really like to know what the Alternative is to a BLACK TANK:h Doug

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I guess we have been lucky over several decades of utilizing absorption fridges as we have always had good success with all our RV fridges, properly installed they work quite well and there in lies the number one reason they operate poorly. A mobile RV Tech who knows their stuff will easily identify issues pertinent to improper installation and should be able to improve or correct situation. Nothing wrong if you decide to go the compressor fridge route, certainly the cheaper more economical solution although adding costs of batteries and solar array will eat up any savings. Class A rigs and 5ers have been offering compressor fridges well before 2017, although I would stay with absorption style due to their ease of use while off the grid.

EXACTLY!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to switch to a compressor refrigerator, spend the money and get a compressor refrigerator made for 12v use. You will need way less solar, or way less generator when the sun does not shine. I would recommend Nova Kool.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sagebrush wrote:
We had one 5th wheel with a big residential unit and it was okay as long as it was parked near power. Haven't tried solar, we use generators still. But that fridge pulled lots of power using the inverter. Two group 31's didn't last long. Adding lots of batteries takes up too much room IMO. Propane fridge keeps my ice cream frozen solid in 100 degree heat, haven't had one fail yet. Had three RV's over many years with two Norcolds and one Dometic RV fridges. They all cooled fine.

I prefer the regular size fridges, never had a huge one. If I need more room I rather use a 12 volt powered portable unit stored in the basement. The portable 12 volt coolers can go in the car or truck for grocery runs too.

Opening the doors often will warm one up in a hurry.
The trend seems to be larger RVs more along the lines of a smaller house that is used pedestal to pedestal. There are very efficient 12V and 120V refers available of various sizes so no need to wait very long for one to cool down. But the electric power has to be provided.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
We had one 5th wheel with a big residential unit and it was okay as long as it was parked near power. Haven't tried solar, we use generators still. But that fridge pulled lots of power using the inverter. Two group 31's didn't last long. Adding lots of batteries takes up too much room IMO. Propane fridge keeps my ice cream frozen solid in 100 degree heat, haven't had one fail yet. Had three RV's over many years with two Norcolds and one Dometic RV fridges. They all cooled fine.

I prefer the regular size fridges, never had a huge one. If I need more room I rather use a 12 volt powered portable unit stored in the basement. The portable 12 volt coolers can go in the car or truck for grocery runs too.

Opening the doors often will warm one up in a hurry.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alternates to propane are heat pumps, electric and diesel. That may imply a large gen possibly 120/240V, solar, larger batteries. MW can do some cooking. But electric oven/cooktop seems like the best alternative to propane while diesel might be possible. Composite toilet?

Apparently propane BBQ, campfires etc with portable tanks would not be accepted.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Ice cream is not something I keep around because it's not good for me. My gas Dometic keeps things just fine, maybe not as cold as a resi but good enough. Uses very little fuel and hopefully will outlast me.

cptqueeg wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
g. Two things I don't want in a new RV are propane and a black water tank.
I'll bite. Give us the lowdown pls. Thanks.
Yeah I'd like to hear that too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess we have been lucky over several decades of utilizing absorption fridges as we have always had good success with all our RV fridges, properly installed they work quite well and there in lies the number one reason they operate poorly. A mobile RV Tech who knows their stuff will easily identify issues pertinent to improper installation and should be able to improve or correct situation. Nothing wrong if you decide to go the compressor fridge route, certainly the cheaper more economical solution although adding costs of batteries and solar array will eat up any savings. Class A rigs and 5ers have been offering compressor fridges well before 2017, although I would stay with absorption style due to their ease of use while off the grid.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Thinking about getting back into Raving. Two things I don't want in a new RV are propane and a black water tank. There are much better alternatives that provide the same functionality at lower cost or at least less maintenance.

I'll bite. Give us the lowdown pls. Thanks.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love our residential, BUT, we rarely boondock. My understanding is you need a lot of solar, and possibly a BU generator, to keep your batteries happy
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With your batteries and solar situation I believe you are well suited to switch fridges.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer