Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rusty grille - How to avoid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Rusty grille - How to avoid

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am very fussy about cleaning my BBQ grille after every use. It has your typical cast iron cooking surface.
I clean it thoroughly, scrape off excess food, burn off all residue and follow that with the wire brush treatment until it is clean.

Challenge is, the grille rusts, especially after spending the winter stored in the pass through compartment.

Before each use, I thoroughly wire brush it again to get rid of any old remnants and then brush on olive oil with a silicone brush on the entire surface. Then I burn off the excess oil until I have a hot, rust free surface to cook on.

There must be something that can be done to avoid the rust. Leaving a dirty greasy layer of old dead food does not appeal to me. My home BBQ has a stainless steel grille and it's easy to keep clean.

What do you guys do?

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave a dirty greasy layer of old dead food and when I do clean it off no rust.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spray with Pam before each use.

Don't clean it so fastidiously. Don't burn off the olive oil.

If the cast iron grill will fit in an oven, you can season it the same way as a cast iron frying pan. Use a "high heat" oil such as walnut.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, the heavy scrap and clean is before each use. Preheat the grill on high and stuff comes off easily, no rust.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Treat it similar to seasoning a cast iron pan.
- Yes, you clean off the food residue after each use.
- You do not do a deep clean...particularly avoid soap.
- While still hot, oil it, so the oil gets pulled into the pores when it cools and leaves a light layer on the surface.

As long as it doesn't get wet in storage, that should largely eliminate rust.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would clean it and then put a light coat of oil on it. That's what I do to my Blackstone and it does not rust.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was having this problem with my smoker I use maybe twice a year. Its grill is flat expanded metal, not even cast iron. I've been covering the grill with an old bath towel soaked in cheap $ store vegetable oil for several years. Problem solved. And yep, that old bath towel smells horrible, but no rust.

With the price of brisket these days I don't know when I'll use that smoker again.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I was having this problem with my smoker I use maybe twice a year. Its grill is flat expanded metal, not even cast iron. I've been covering the grill with an old bath towel soaked in cheap $ store vegetable oil for several years. Problem solved. And yep, that old bath towel smells horrible, but no rust.

With the price of brisket these days I don't know when I'll use that smoker again.

Double ditto. I don't use olive oil as it has salts in it that cause rust. Cheap vegetable oil or lard with no salt is advised.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
I shall take them to heart! [emoticon]

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grill/BBQ almost every day. Over the past 45 years I have had many cheap gas grills, 3 charcoal and one smoker. The worst thing you can do to a grill with cast iron grates is to burn the food off after cooking and not seasoning the grates for the next use. I never clean my grill after use. I clean my grill when I am going to use it and season the grates. However, if you don't cook as often as I do then clean the grates after you cook and oil the grates. I live in a hot humid place so I now have a Weber Geneses III gas grill with heavy stainless steal grates (expensive but worth it). For my 34 year old Weber charcoal grill and smoker every few years I replace the grates. I will not have another grill with cast iron grates. I have also had grills with cast iron burners that did not last 2 years. I do love my cast iron pans.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Rusty grille - How to avoid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.