Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rusty grille - How to avoid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Rusty grille - How to avoid

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Olive oil isn't a good choice because it usually carries a distinct flavor and anything other than a refined OO has a smoke point too low for grills. They don't have any more sodium or salts than any other oils.

Any refined vegetable oil or even the Pam spray mentioned above work great.

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I wanted a different grate / cooking surface for my favorite RV / portable grill, I simply found an oversized version of what I wanted and cut it down to fit.

I liked it so much, I made a spare grate and obtained another grill too [emoticon]

Since the original was circa 1985, I went to eBay for an extra complete grill "new in the box"

Back then, LP grills had "Lava Rock", I replaced that heat diffusion media with a more modern ceramic product as well.

Now I have a one of a kind tiny grill that actually works better than any full sized BBQ I have ever used...............

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good one!

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miltvill wrote:

I grill/BBQ almost every day. Over the past 45 years I have had many cheap gas grills, 3 charcoal and one smoker. The worst thing you can do to a grill with cast iron grates is to burn the food off after cooking and not seasoning the grates for the next use. I never clean my grill after use. I clean my grill when I am going to use it and season the grates. However, if you don't cook as often as I do then clean the grates after you cook and oil the grates. I live in a hot humid place so I now have a Weber Geneses III gas grill with heavy stainless steal grates (expensive but worth it). For my 34 year old Weber charcoal grill and smoker every few years I replace the grates. I will not have another grill with cast iron grates. I have also had grills with cast iron burners that did not last 2 years. I do love my cast iron pans.

For camping I'm with you on using stainless steel grates especially in humid climates.

My cast iron dutch ovens and pans are not stored in the RV when we are not traveling. I bring them inside the house for storage. I'll load them back into the RV during trip prep.

After use I clean them and re-season with lard or other low/no salt oil. Never olive oil which has a high salt content depending on the brand.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Rusty grille - How to avoid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.