Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Do pass-through windows leak?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do pass-through windows leak?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had a leak, but then we did not drive in the rain too much.
I made a boot out of swimming noodles and drove with cabin air cooling down the camper. That help a lot when driving in triple digits temperatures and also allowed our dogs to move from cab to camper.
Bad part, the Ford truck would have delayed alarm if you close it with remote and the rear window was open. I was using door pegs for locking to avoid the alarm.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pass through window has never leaked. That includes intense rain at highway speeds 70 mph. There was one time I had very heavy winds coming at me from the side, enough that a couple semi's were blown over on the highway driving south from Twin Falls toward Las Vegas. What happened in that windy situation was my home made foam boot between the TC and cab was blowing side to side in the space between. I pulled over and fixed the problem with duct tape from the cab glass to the TC glass, holding the foam in position. Again, water has never been an issue and the cat insists on a window there.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 Lance 815 pass through window never leaked when I carried it on my 2004 Ram. Then I switched to a 2015 Ram where I had to add a 3/4" spacer under the truck camper. It leaked during heavy rains and I dealt with it leaking for a year. Finally added a piece of vinyl siding J-channel to the bottom side of the cab over and no more leaks.

So my thought is any window had the chance of leaking giving enough water driven by enough window. IF you eliminate the widow, you eliminate the chance of it leaking.

Personally, I will always want the pass-through window as I use it for my low point vent which when combined with a roof vent slightly open creates enough of a draft to remove moisture preventing condensation problems.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2006 Lance 1181 never leaked.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Do pass-through windows leak?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.