Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Ride "quality", especially empty, is worse on a F350.

Ride should be the same between F350 and high capacity F250

steve-n-vicki

arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am towing a 37 foot fifth wheel but the 7.3, so far no problems , I’m not planning on towing in the mountains

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Where did the OP say he was getting the high capacity F250?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm reminded of a friend that has car with built in NAV. Years ago, it was awesome. now it's woefully outdated and clunky compared to newer apps. The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit. I Use WAZE on my phone and it displays on the screen of my F350 and it works great. If I ever decide to use another NAV app, it's not problem.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

This is really my only complaint with my truck. Empty it rides a little rough and bouncy. I back the PSI off to 60 when not towing and that helps. I guess you can pick your battles. The tradeoff is that when I am towing it rides like a Cadillac. That's what it's built to do, not a grocery getter.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit.

I have built in NAV in my 7 year old Jeep and it is easy to update the software and the MAPS. They come out with a new map update at least once a year. However, it is very expensive. I believe it's $199 to upgrade the Maps so I am still using the 7 year old maps. They did have a special one time to update the Maps for $99 but I still didn't do it. I did update the NAV software (which was free) so the interface looks a bit more modern now.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

way2roll wrote:

The issue with built in Nav is that once it's outdated the only way to upgrade is to swap the whole unit.

I have built in NAV in my 7 year old Jeep and it is easy to update the software and the MAPS. They come out with a new map update at least once a year. However, it is very expensive. I believe it's $199 to upgrade the Maps so I am still using the 7 year old maps. They did have a special one time to update the Maps for $99 but I still didn't do it. I did update the NAV software (which was free) so the interface looks a bit more modern now.

Right, so I mis spoke, maybe it's easier and/or cheaper just to update the whole unit.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking at an XLTs, and I think there are actually 3 things navigation wise to consider.

The XL has a smaller screen(5" maybe), and I don't think it will show a map, but if you have your phone connected, you will hear them tell you to turn. Double check me to be on the safe side.

On the XLT, it has a bigger 8" screen, and there are 2 possible ways to do maps. On all the XLTs you have Car Play or Android Auto that connects to your phone and you can choose from a couple of mapping apps that will show in the screen and give directions over the speakers.
There is also an option of built in Navigation that is like an extra $500. I don't know why anyone would pay for it, it is not as good as the phone option.

Everything I read/watch says that the new 7.3 is a beast.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 7.3 motor looks like a great motor, especially with the 10-speed. I have a 2003 Suburban with the 8.1L and 4-speed. I've plotted the power available at highway speeds with each gear and this looks like it has similar power available in the lower RPM's while cruising to my 8.1L and much more power available than my 8.1L if you want to drop a few gears for climbing hills.

As for navigation, I have found that Google Maps works the best of anything I've tried and I like it when I have Android Auto available to show it on the cars screen. If you plan to go somewhere with spotty cell service, just download the maps to your phone for those areas ahead of time. Then it works flawlessly with no cell service. For this summer I made sure to download maps for all of Michigan (spent a lot of time in the upper peninsula with poor cell service) and also Indiana and Ohio as we were in areas I did not know if I would always have service. Even if you have service, it pulls up gas stations and other destinations much more quickly and reliably if you download the area. Works great!

2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

yikes I got to ask more questions concerning the Navigation, ford said there was no monthy charge for the independent touch screen Navigation but I will check into this.

We have an very old, lower cost Verizon plan with unlimited data (no plans to ever give up the plan) so I am still on the fence on a direction to go concerning the XL vs XLT Navigation

Thanks
Mike

and still researching trucks [emoticon]

Mike

No there is no monthly charge for the indash GPS. You just upgrade it with a "Sim card" every year or so. $35.00 on line. Well worth it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing with a 2022 Ford F250 7.3L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.